The British Construction Equipment Forum

The British Construction Equipment Forum (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Commercial Vehicles (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   skip loader??? (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6917)

gratman 20-11-2014 11:10 PM

skip loader???

Hi guy's does anybody know of anybody using a skip wagon as a multi purpose truck like a hook lift with a low loader body a alike ?? Or what's your thought on using one for such a job?? Any thought's? Thanks;)

Shaun

Traxcavator. 20-11-2014 11:20 PM

Re: skip loader???

I knew a couple of firms using a platform that was lifted on the skip chains for moving plant around. 6 to 10 tonne crawlers were often moved around like this in the days when Drotts were popular.

Edwards1993 20-11-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gratman (Post 112094)
Hi guy's does anybody know of anybody using a skip wagon as a multi purpose truck like a hook lift with a low loader body a alike ?? Or what's your thought on using one for such a job?? Any thought's? Thanks;)

Shaun

I have thought about this before as to wether it would be a good all rounder like the hook, if you could have a few bins to go with it there's always the option of sending some out to earn some extra 's

I don't see why it wouldn't work though? It's a bit more compact than a hook, Just not quite as much capacity?

gratman 20-11-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traxcavator. (Post 112097)
I knew a couple of firms using a platform that was lifted on the skip chains for moving plant around. 6 to 10 tonne crawlers were often moved around like this in the days when they were popular.

Somebody said it was the way they moved tracked crawlers about tim? I wonder if a skip could be made to put my machine in and then you have it to cart away with aswell?? I like hook loader just don't like the height of them??

Shaun

gratman 20-11-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwards1993 (Post 112099)
I have thought about this before as to wether it would be a good all rounder like the hook, if you could have a few bins to go with it there's always the option of sending some out to earn some extra 's

I don't see why it wouldn't work though? It's a bit more compact than a hook, Just not quite as much capacity?

That's my thoughts tom aswell and as you say compact as for capacity it doesn't pay to carry more grab wagons around us are getting the same as skips but it will cost them more to tip it and slower to load??

Shaun

Traxcavator. 20-11-2014 11:40 PM

Shaun they were used a lot for moving crawlers around, believe it or not a lot of tracking up the road went on too ... ;) I always used low loaders, 951B traxcavators were a little heavy for the skip wagon. I have seen 13 tonners on roll on off trucks on hook lift pallets and yes I agree, they are a little top heavy.
I would have thought you could use a standard drop end 6 yarder for moving up to 5 tonners, width depending I guess.

gratman 20-11-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traxcavator. (Post 112102)
Shaun they were used a lot for moving crawlers around, believe it or not a lot of tracking up the road went on too ... ;) I always used low loaders, 951B traxcavators were a little heavy for the skip wagon. I have seen 13 tonners on roll on off trucks on hook lift pallets and yes I agree, they are a little top heavy.
I would have thought you could use a standard drop end 6 yarder for moving up to 5 tonners, width depending I guess.

I would think the door would need widening the rest should be strong enough as you say?

Traxcavator. 20-11-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gratman (Post 112103)
I would think the door would need widening the rest should be strong enough as you say?

It wouldn't be difficult to modify the drop drop down door. You can get smaller skips in the style of a hook lift bin. Probably they would have a full width door.

Edwards1993 20-11-2014 11:58 PM

I had even thought about maybe a smaller capacity skip wagon for myself, just to get started with as I've only got the micro. I find getting muck out of a job is the most problematic part, especially tipping it ready for a grab, messy and leaves no room if your already restricted for space, with a skip or a hook bin, it can be loaded, and moved wherever, whenever if by yourself.

As Tim said a platform for moving plant is a good idea, but if you need a skip then to have one modded for putting the machine in would be the best route.

Don't speak to soon about hook's being too top heavy, check out this numpty:D
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oundabout.html

gratman 21-11-2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traxcavator. (Post 112105)
It wouldn't be difficult to modify the drop drop down door. You can get smaller skips in the style of a hook lift bin. Probably they would have a full width door.

I've never seen any like that tim I'll do abit of digging? Sound the ideal one for the job!!