The British Construction Equipment Forum

The British Construction Equipment Forum (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Industry Chat (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Short term public liability insurance (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8998)

heritage-machining 11-02-2018 08:26 AM

Short term public liability insurance

OK I need some liability insurance to dig a trench across some common land to connect water and electric to my yard I don't normally do this sort of thing so I'm reluctant to get a full year as I only really need a week at the most it's only 50 meters mostly so I can fit it around other stuff also the council want site specific risk assessments and method statements they are not so much of an issue as I can do them as in a past life I did a good bit of that can anyone recommend a suitable company

Thanks Tom

Mintsauce 11-02-2018 08:33 AM

Re: Short term public liability insurance

Get a dial before you dig you may change your mind depending on what you find down there?

Monkeybusiness 11-02-2018 08:39 AM

Can you not take out a 12 month policy and then cancel it when you are finished? You will pay more than for 1 week pro-rata but Iím pretty sure most insurers will refund what hasnít been used (less their admin fee, and obviously depending on you not claiming in that week!).

heritage-machining 11-02-2018 08:41 AM

What do you mean a dial not really up on industry terms (mostly I just fix the machines) I do know that there are some electric cables that cross my water trench but handily the electric board excavated them last year to do a repair so I noted where they were I will still hire a catscan tho

JD450A 11-02-2018 08:42 AM

About £250 for a years public liability from Jcb.... Not bank breaking imho

heritage-machining 11-02-2018 08:43 AM

Monkey business that's a thought they will just charge time on risk will it affect my other insurances tho

heritage-machining 11-02-2018 08:45 AM

Yes I have had quotes at about that I suppose I could offset it against the business just seems pointless if I'm not using it really unless I get my old kubota out and go and do a bit of groundwork for other people

mart1602 11-02-2018 12:37 PM

if youve got a buisness you should have public liability anyway

heritage-machining 11-02-2018 04:29 PM

Yes indeed but not for groundworks/construction suppose I could add it on

MchaleBuildingServices 11-02-2018 05:21 PM

If you take out a new policy and cancel it afterwards you may end up with a bump in your normal premium due to having to tell them that you have had a previous policy cancelled.

May just be easier to hire someone in to do it