The British Construction Equipment Forum

The British Construction Equipment Forum (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Photos (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Plant, Projects, Fixes and Fiascos (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7444)

Shovelhands 16-07-2015 09:03 PM

Re: Plant, Projects, Fixes and Fiascos

1 Attachment(s)
As if by magic! Almost ready, that took more than five minutes to assemble I can assure you:o

Shovelhands 16-07-2015 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got the side covers to fit and it's ready to go.

Wrong way up again:confused:

Shovelhands 16-07-2015 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And there it is, ready for action. After a quick hook up to the Telehandler, which didn't have the flow, just to make sure it all functioned it was off for its first job! Didn't have time to try it on the JS before it got delivered to the Job, so it's first go was on site. Not sure if that was brave or stupid? :D anyway it did the job;)

mogman 16-07-2015 09:29 PM

I take my hat off to you big hands that was quite the build:)

cps140 16-07-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogman (Post 122569)
I take my hat off to you big hands that was quite the build:)

There will be a row off hats on the table then:D......... mine is of to! really is a tob job!:)

GB_Groundworks 16-07-2015 09:45 PM

awesome build, top job

Shovelhands 16-07-2015 09:45 PM

Thanks guys, high praise indeed after seeing what you get up to, I still look at it and think, I can't believe I made that!

Got talked into it really by my father, he's normally the one talking me out of mad ideas, but we decided to have a go, and that was that!

But despite what people think, building your own stuff is not cheap! But you do get what you want though, and the buzz of building it;)

Something satisfying about going to work with something you've stuck together yourself:cool:

V8Druid 17-07-2015 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 122562)
All the fabbing done, ready for a top coat.

Photo quality seems to have suffered after shrinking :eek:

that's a very nice piece of work mate:cool:;)

pond digger 17-07-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 122565)
And there it is, ready for action. After a quick hook up to the Telehandler, which didn't have the flow, just to make sure it all functioned it was off for its first job! Didn't have time to try it on the JS before it got delivered to the Job, so it's first go was on site. Not sure if that was brave or stupid? :D anyway it did the job;)

So, excluding labour, can you give us an idea of what this cost?

What drive did you use?

I'm green with envy :D

Shovelhands 17-07-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pond digger (Post 122584)
So, excluding labour, can you give us an idea of what this cost?

What drive did you use?

I'm green with envy :D

Well let me think PD, without trawling through the books I can't give you exact figures, but.....

Steel must have been about 1500
Chains and sprockets , bearings 1200, this could be more?
Hydraulic components about 2500, possibly more?
Plastic stars about 2500

I'm guessing at that a bit, what it cost has long been forgotten :D

Dad always said it cost us ten grand, so I may be wrong with my guesses, but I can't make up ten grand in bits in my head quite, but the more I think about it the more I think he's not far out?
I think there's over 300 of those stars @ 6 ish each.
Hydraulics weren't cheap as we needed two of everything, as were the bearings and sprockets, obviously needed twice as much as a smaller bucket that was only driven from one side, but I don't think the shafts would stick running at that width, without a center bearing, then you've still got the torque to contend with on start up, that's why we went for twin drive and independent sides.

It took me about 3 weeks from memory, from a sketch on paper to using it on the first job, got a bit silly towards the end, long hours and 7 days! Had a bit of help from the lad we had with us at the time, so I can't say I did every inch, but the poor lad wasn't blessed with mechanical skills, and working with steel was not his forte, he cut a lot of the steel stock, drilled holes, ground up edges, milled key ways ect, but I had to mark everything out and set the mill up ect, seemed like hard work at times, but he did help. All the plate cutting and fabbing was done by me, and the design, most of which was in my head, bit of planning out at the start, but once I got going I sort of made it up as I went.

What do you mean exactly by "what drive did I use"?