The British Construction Equipment Forum

The British Construction Equipment Forum (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Photos (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Plant, Projects, Fixes and Fiascos (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7444)

Shovelhands 13-07-2015 09:46 PM

Plant, Projects, Fixes and Fiascos

1 Attachment(s)
After Mogman pointed out that it was six months since I said that I'd stick some pics up, I thought I should do it:D

I still cannot figure out how to post more than one pic on a single post? Posting photos seems to be easy enough, I know it's not that easy for others, but the iPad route seems to work ok, it's just the multiple photo things that's a pain.

Anyway here's a pic of my JS220 screening, to get things started.

Shovelhands 13-07-2015 09:51 PM

Re: Plant, Projects, Fixes and Fiascos

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic from a while ago, it's the lime we are now screening, as it was removed from the settlement lagoons.
Pretty much sludge at this point, this lagoon was opened up a year or two ago so it has dried to a point, can be virtually slurry when we start and a liquid load on the Volvo, so a good tailgate is essential!

Shovelhands 13-07-2015 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Clearing up the lagoon bottom after all the sludge has been removed, we always get it as smooth as possible to make it easier to clear out the next time.

V8Druid 13-07-2015 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 122438)
Here's a pic from a while ago, it's the lime we are now screening, as it was removed from the settlement lagoons.
Pretty much sludge at this point, this lagoon was opened up a year or two ago so it has dried to a point, can be virtually slurry when we start and a liquid load on the Volvo, so a good tailgate is essential!

like the face shovel orientation on the bucket for working yer way into the banks :cool:

V8Druid 13-07-2015 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 122439)
Clearing up the lagoon bottom after all the sludge has been removed, we always get it as smooth as possible to make it easier to clear out the next time.

That is a hell of a lagoon :eek:
Had something a bit smaller in my minds eye :rolleyes:

Shovelhands 13-07-2015 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Druid (Post 122441)
like the face shovel orientation on the bucket for working yer way into the banks :cool:

We dig the entire lagoon like that, keeps all the sludge/slurry away from the machine, if not you end up paddling in it and mixing it with the bottom of the lagoon, then you've got a big fudging mess:eek:

Shovelhands 13-07-2015 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Druid (Post 122442)
That is a hell of a lagoon :eek:
Had something a bit smaller in my minds eye :rolleyes:

Capacity wise it's the smallest of four, they are worked in rotation ,they usually take two or three years to empty out as we can't empty them in one go, storage and drying space is tight!

V8Druid 13-07-2015 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 122444)
Capacity wise it's the smallest of four, they are worked in rotation ,they usually take two or three years to empty out as we can't empty them in one go, storage and drying space is tight!

must be some sort of sludge/whatever, comes out of them? :eek::eek:
Must keep you busy for a day or two doin' that!! :eek:

Shovelhands 13-07-2015 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Druid (Post 122448)
must be some sort of sludge/whatever, comes out of them? :eek:
Must keep you busy for a day or two doin' that!! :eek:

You wouldn't know if to look at it but it's the finest Derbyshire ground limestone!....after it's been used at the local water treatment works to purify and filter the drinking water, it's that process that's changed the colour:rolleyes:

Funny old stuff to work with, very slippery when wet! And can turn to dust when it's very dry.

We only spend two or three weeks a year digging it out, but the whole process from digging out to spreading it on farmland is pretty much a year long job off and on. Busy at the mo getting it dry and screened for harvest. We've had the weather with us this last few weeks and that has helped no end, if it can be screend and moved on a scorching hot day with a bit of a breeze then that's the ideal! But you can never really count on the weather:o

doobin 14-07-2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 122443)
We dig the entire lagoon like that, keeps all the sludge/slurry away from the machine, if not you end up paddling in it and mixing it with the bottom of the lagoon, then you've got a big fudging mess:eek:

Very true. Much cheaper than a tracked loading shovel, with the benefit of a slew.

V8Druid 14-07-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobin (Post 122461)
Very true. Much cheaper than a tracked loading shovel, with the benefit of a slew.

and a hell of a lot quicker :D

Shovelhands 15-07-2015 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of a recent job, putting in the posts for a jetty in a pond, purpose of it is to hang a submersible pump from the end of it. We could have just put a post in the water and hung it from that, but would mean going out in a boat to get to it for servicing and we did another on this site which is very successful so decided a jetty was the best idea.

First posts going in.

Shovelhands 15-07-2015 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more posts, Telehandler mounted knocker coming in to its own here!

Shovelhands 15-07-2015 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the finished article:D

mogman 15-07-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 122508)
A few more posts, Telehandler mounted knocker coming in to its own here!

Bet reaching the levers on the post knocker was a bit interesting the further out you got:eek:

What make of screening bucket you are using

Shovelhands 15-07-2015 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea getting to the leavers was eventful! But got the job done without getting the waders on :D

My own bucket Mog , another bit of homemade kit. But of a story to it, had a job to do with one, was finding it difficult to hire one as my JS only has a one way breaker circuit, looked at buying one, sort of run out of time as the build times were not unreasonable but job was looming, also couldn't quite find what I had in mind, so....I built my own! Went out on the initial job and worked ok, needed a hydraulic mod but other than that has been great for four years now. Really built it for the lime, and it makes a smashing job of it, get the conditions right and will do 450-500t a day easy, but rarely get enough infront of me to go at it for the whole day, but ideal to just go and have a few hours on it as and when I can and the conditions are right.

V8Druid 16-07-2015 12:12 AM

some nice work there James :D and some innovation too :cool:
That bucket looks the business - got any more pix of that ;)
Was that completely built from scratch or a modified bucket job :)

pond digger 16-07-2015 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Druid (Post 122533)
some nice work there James :D and some innovation too
That bucket looks the business - got any more pix of that ;)

Yes, step by step instructions of the build would be good. Perhaps an accompanying video as well :D

Shovelhands 16-07-2015 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Druid (Post 122533)
some nice work there James :D and some innovation too :cool:
That bucket looks the business - got any more pix of that

Thanks Gra

I will post up what pics I can, have to say I didn't take as many as I should have, if I did they are not on my phone anyway!
The bucket was a total scratch build, the whole thing was hand cut and welded together, was quite the mission in the time I had allocated to do it!
The concept has been used by others, I am by no means the first, but i didn't copy anything, I don't think there is another one like this, if there is I haven't seen it. It basically uses ten fingered stars out of a Pearson Destoner, others make similar machines but I think Pearson was the first.

It was my first go at one, and there are obviously things I'd do differently now, but wouldn't change it that much for what I'm doing, the only thing we've altered since it was built is the gear sets in the motors, we had no real idea of the speed we needed or the torque so it was a bit of an educated guess, which we didn't get quite right, but it did the initial job and then we changed them and it's not really had anything else since then, done four years on the lime now, so I'm pretty pleased with that. I will get it in the workshop at some stage and make a few mods, but I've been threatening that for the last three years:D

If I wasn't driving it myself then I wouldn't have made it that big, it is quite a lump, not sure I could have trimmed much weight off it though, without compromising the strength. In fairness it's a bit big for a 22tonner, has to be used with respect, wouldn't let a novice lose with it. Far to easy to bend the shafts from the back.

Also you have to appreciate how it works and not be tempted to cram loads in it, the capacity is there to let the material circulate within the bucket, only if it was very fine material with little debris could you fill it right up, it looks half full when I'm using it but in reality it's probably got more in it than a standard ditcher.

Heres a few pics, like I said didn't take enough, not any early on in the build unfortunately, well not that I can find anyway.

Here's a pic of the chain case as it was being fabbed up.
Having fight with the photos tonight, to big, made it smaller, now wrong way up!

Shovelhands 16-07-2015 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All the fabbing done, ready for a top coat.

Photo quality seems to have suffered after shrinking :eek:

Shovelhands 16-07-2015 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As if by magic! Almost ready, that took more than five minutes to assemble I can assure you:o

Shovelhands 16-07-2015 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got the side covers to fit and it's ready to go.

Wrong way up again:confused:

Shovelhands 16-07-2015 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And there it is, ready for action. After a quick hook up to the Telehandler, which didn't have the flow, just to make sure it all functioned it was off for its first job! Didn't have time to try it on the JS before it got delivered to the Job, so it's first go was on site. Not sure if that was brave or stupid? :D anyway it did the job;)

mogman 16-07-2015 09:29 PM

I take my hat off to you big hands that was quite the build:)

cps140 16-07-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogman (Post 122569)
I take my hat off to you big hands that was quite the build:)

There will be a row off hats on the table then:D......... mine is of to! really is a tob job!:)

GB_Groundworks 16-07-2015 09:45 PM

awesome build, top job

Shovelhands 16-07-2015 09:45 PM

Thanks guys, high praise indeed after seeing what you get up to, I still look at it and think, I can't believe I made that!

Got talked into it really by my father, he's normally the one talking me out of mad ideas, but we decided to have a go, and that was that!

But despite what people think, building your own stuff is not cheap! But you do get what you want though, and the buzz of building it;)

Something satisfying about going to work with something you've stuck together yourself:cool:

V8Druid 17-07-2015 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 122562)
All the fabbing done, ready for a top coat.

Photo quality seems to have suffered after shrinking :eek:

that's a very nice piece of work mate:cool:;)

pond digger 17-07-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 122565)
And there it is, ready for action. After a quick hook up to the Telehandler, which didn't have the flow, just to make sure it all functioned it was off for its first job! Didn't have time to try it on the JS before it got delivered to the Job, so it's first go was on site. Not sure if that was brave or stupid? :D anyway it did the job;)

So, excluding labour, can you give us an idea of what this cost?

What drive did you use?

I'm green with envy :D

Shovelhands 17-07-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pond digger (Post 122584)
So, excluding labour, can you give us an idea of what this cost?

What drive did you use?

I'm green with envy :D

Well let me think PD, without trawling through the books I can't give you exact figures, but.....

Steel must have been about 1500
Chains and sprockets , bearings 1200, this could be more?
Hydraulic components about 2500, possibly more?
Plastic stars about 2500

I'm guessing at that a bit, what it cost has long been forgotten :D

Dad always said it cost us ten grand, so I may be wrong with my guesses, but I can't make up ten grand in bits in my head quite, but the more I think about it the more I think he's not far out?
I think there's over 300 of those stars @ 6 ish each.
Hydraulics weren't cheap as we needed two of everything, as were the bearings and sprockets, obviously needed twice as much as a smaller bucket that was only driven from one side, but I don't think the shafts would stick running at that width, without a center bearing, then you've still got the torque to contend with on start up, that's why we went for twin drive and independent sides.

It took me about 3 weeks from memory, from a sketch on paper to using it on the first job, got a bit silly towards the end, long hours and 7 days! Had a bit of help from the lad we had with us at the time, so I can't say I did every inch, but the poor lad wasn't blessed with mechanical skills, and working with steel was not his forte, he cut a lot of the steel stock, drilled holes, ground up edges, milled key ways ect, but I had to mark everything out and set the mill up ect, seemed like hard work at times, but he did help. All the plate cutting and fabbing was done by me, and the design, most of which was in my head, bit of planning out at the start, but once I got going I sort of made it up as I went.

What do you mean exactly by "what drive did I use"?

pond digger 17-07-2015 10:34 PM

Hmm, it does add up doesn't it.

Re the drive; I'm assuming there's a hydraulic motor involved.

I was wondering what use could be made of s/h potatoe machinery: you can get a grimme de stoner for a 1k; they've loads of those star thingys

mogman 17-07-2015 10:49 PM

Need to say it again very good bit of engineering :)

My trouble is if I was to make one I would be waiting for all the bits to come into the yard for scrap price;)

Shovelhands 17-07-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pond digger (Post 122611)
Hmm, it does add up doesn't it.

Re the drive; I'm assuming there's a hydraulic motor involved.

I was wondering what use could be made of s/h potatoe machinery: you can get a grimme de stoner for a 1k; they've loads of those star thingys

Yep two hydraulic motors, one for each side, with cross line releif valves, each have their own speed control valve and both fed by the hammer line through a flow divider.

I'm sure if you ripped on of those de stoners apart you could use some of the bits n pieces to make a bucket. If the stars were in good condition for 1k it would be worth it just for them, I didn't have the time to hunt round for used machine just to get the stars so we had new ones. They have lasted extremely well, took a bit of a hiding screening some bags gypsum plaster last year, but done very well considering the use it's had.

Shovelhands 17-07-2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogman (Post 122613)
Need to say it again very good bit of engineering :)

My trouble is if I was to make one I would be waiting for all the bits to come into the yard for scrap price;)

Mog, you'll be looking at the scrap heap from a whole new angle now;)

Shovelhands 03-08-2015 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know this is really an Ag thing, but thought I'd post it up. It's loosely related to the topic/forum, it is a machine, has an engine, hydraulics and plent of metal!

The lime we dig out and screen/dry is now destined for the fields, and this is the last part of the jigsaw and the culmination of months of effort getting this stuff "fit" for spreading! The weather has helped, couldn't really do it without a bit of sunshine :D

This is the first load of the season, and pretty much me now, for a couple of months, I won't see an excavator much for the mo!
I will hopefully get some action shots at some point, but I'm working on my own at the moment and I don't think I'd catch it again if I hopped off to take a pic while it was motoring down the field!

Shovelhands 03-08-2015 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anthor of the old girl:)

V8Druid 03-08-2015 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 123229)
Anthor of the old girl:)

they are quite some beast ain't they James :D - WTFs a tyre cost for the front of that :eek:

V8Druid 03-08-2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shovelhands (Post 123228)
I know this is really an Ag thing, but thought I'd post it up. It's loosely related to the topic/forum, it is a machine, has an engine, hydraulics and plent of metal!

The lime we dig out and screen/dry is now destined for the fields, and this is the last part of the jigsaw and the culmination of months of effort getting this stuff "fit" for spreading! The weather has helped, couldn't really do it without a bit of sunshine

This is the first load of the season, and pretty much me now, for a couple of months, I won't see an excavator much for the mo!
I will hopefully get some action shots at some point, but I'm working on my own at the moment and I don't think I'd catch it again if I hopped off to take a pic while it was motoring down the field!

Do you collect many pedestrians with the steps on that James :D:p:eek:

Shovelhands 04-08-2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Druid (Post 123231)
they are quite some beast ain't they James :D - WTFs a tyre cost for the front of that

The tyres are all the same size, it's got a Goodyear on the front ( the original terra tyre), and Firestones on the back, Firestones are AWSOME on these, a great tyre! The Goodyear looks wider but it's a bit of an illusion , Firestones taller;)
Goodyear are obsolete now, think I'm correct in saying they've totally pulled out of the Ag tyre market, so getting them again is a no no, but I favour the Firestones anyway, and they are..........2500 a pop:eek: bloody frightening, glad to say I don't have to change them that often, but will have to organise a pair soon , the rears aren't shot, but getting down a bit and the thought of needing one or two and them not being available is worrying! Have been very long lead times in the past and you just know they won't be 'on the shelf' when you need them:rolleyes:

Shovelhands 04-08-2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Druid (Post 123232)
Do you collect many pedestrians with the steps on that James :D:p:eek:

Not if I can help it Gra ! Unless they are really keen for a ride in the A!