The British Construction Equipment Forum

The British Construction Equipment Forum (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Commercial Vehicles (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hookloaders (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8900)

furniss480 15-11-2017 06:42 PM

Hookloaders

Looking at hookloaders in the 12T GVW class to job a little 5.5tonner about - seems to be between the three below which appear to be the most popular (at least over here)

Iveco eurocargo 120E 18
Renault Midlum 190-12
Mercedes Atego 1218

They are a hell of a price over here in france :( anyone got any experience good or bad with them ? anything I should look out for ? never had anything to do with hookloaders before.

Thanks

Mintsauce 15-11-2017 07:47 PM

Re: Hookloaders

Would it be worth adding tractor/dump trailer to the list?

If your mileage isn't too big that is. Some of the dump trailers will take a digger of this width I believe. Hookloader/trailer combos are also available.

I would be happy with an iveco if its going to be spending a lot of time parked outside the job. I did find that in the 18t version 180hp coupled with a 6 speed box isn't man enough for hilly country or anything very demanding off the highways. With 12t you would be OK I guess.

Sorry no direct experience with hookloaders. Also I think the more recent Renault trucks share a fair amount of Volvo parts according to my fitter so I would take a look at these.

Mintsauce 15-11-2017 07:56 PM

Guess I never rated Mercedes as from experience over the years the cabs always rotted out and they weren't well regarded as tippers. I expect all that has changed now though but my opinion has been permanently skewed.

JD450A 15-11-2017 08:26 PM

Won't go wrong with an Atego, As with the older Mercs they are much heavier construction than the respective Iveco/Daf, but IMHO they will last longer.

We have the last Pre Atego 1317 working locally. Lots more about as horse wagons or vintage tractor shifters. 814/817's are still popular enough.

furniss480 15-11-2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintsauce (Post 157078)
Would it be worth adding tractor/dump trailer to the list?

If your mileage isn't too big that is. Some of the dump trailers will take a digger of this width I believe. Hookloader/trailer combos are also available.

I would be happy with an iveco if its going to be spending a lot of time parked outside the job. I did find that in the 18t version 180hp coupled with a 6 speed box isn't man enough for hilly country or anything very demanding off the highways. With 12t you would be OK I guess.

Sorry no direct experience with hookloaders. Also I think the more recent Renault trucks share a fair amount of Volvo parts according to my fitter so I would take a look at these.

Like the u.k its a minefield with tractors and trailers - o.k for agri and forestry - we could run one for the forestry related jobs we do but for the bulk of our work it would be winging it.

I wondered whether the 180 would be man enough for the 12 tons - looking at approx 2009 MY which all seem to be about 180 - I notice that some of the newer ones are 220 but then something around 3 or 4 years old is out of my budget - over here they are still looking for about 50K :eek:

furniss480 15-11-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD450A (Post 157080)
Won't go wrong with an Atego, As with the older Mercs they are much heavier construction than the respective Iveco/Daf, but IMHO they will last longer.

We have the last Pre Atego 1317 working locally. Lots more about as horse wagons or vintage tractor shifters. 814/817's are still popular enough.

yeah I noticed the Mercs weigh more empty ... could be bad or good depending on how you look at it.

JD450A 15-11-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furniss480 (Post 157082)
yeah I noticed the Mercs weigh more empty ... could be bad or good depending on how you look at it.

A merc 7.5t lorry chassis is pretty much the same build as the 13t, Just lighter springs and axles.

a Daf or Iveco 7.5t chassis is the same as the 10t variant I believe.

More steel makes it heavier. Depends on your application but if your RAF like me Heavier is better.

muckyman 15-11-2017 11:59 PM

Only ran 6 wheelers but our main problem is bed height so choose a low one.bins are pricey but theres nothing better for moving plant

furniss480 16-11-2017 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muckyman (Post 157085)
Only ran 6 wheelers but our main problem is bed height so choose a low one.bins are pricey but theres nothing better for moving plant

noted thanks :)

V8Druid 16-11-2017 10:41 AM

I think Minty meant look at using traccies/dump trailers as a legit method, not as a dodge :rolleyes: .....
for limited distance/usage I could see a lot of advantages over a truck, be more flexible :) and would/could probably be utilised far more on the job too ;)