The British Construction Equipment Forum

The British Construction Equipment Forum (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   General Business Issues (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Building a shed (http://www.ceforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8775)

Davejcb 08-07-2017 12:24 PM

Building a shed

I'm desperate to build a shed to put all my work gear in and keep it away from home.. I've plenty of farm land but what's the chance of building a random shed in the corner of one of the fields? most of my kit as some point is required for maintaining the land, even tho it's rented out to local farmers and not farmed by myself. Anyone done similar?

Mintsauce 08-07-2017 02:12 PM

Re: Building a shed

Its got to be for ag purposes. I know lots of pretend farmers who have done it.

modelman093 08-07-2017 03:57 PM

I think that I would be more worried about security than planning ?

Davejcb 08-07-2017 05:12 PM

Security wouldn't be too much of an issue, would have it remote monitored and most likely see it from my house anyway. Will search the local planning submissions and see if anything comes up..

Shovelhands 08-07-2017 06:36 PM

Speak to a GOOD planning advisor, who will know the ins and outs of the area, maybe speak to your farmer friends, who may know a good contact?
I know from bitter experience, that getting this sort of thing done by someone who is not up to scratch, is a complete nightmare! And can lead to costly problems, all because of simple mistakes......

V8Druid 09-07-2017 12:06 PM

if security isn't an issue ...... go 'portable' ... no planning required :D

A friend tried for years to get planning on a shed at his farm ... amongst a load of existing sheds ... and nada :mad:

so went out and bought a portable one IIRC 40ft x 120ft .... been up on its slab 20 odd years now and the planners couldn't do a damned thing about it

It's a bloody good shed, much lighter than conventional as it's white HD poly tarp type stuff --- but the dogs balls -- proper stuff -- real thick ... and lets so much light in, it's almost as good as outdoors .... wasn't cheap, but quality costs, has stood the test of time, gave him a virtually instant solution to his machinery storage issues and best of all two very big fingers up to the planners :cool:

worth looking into .... they can't stop you putting a slab down to sit one on ;)

Richard 10-07-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davejcb (Post 154797)
I'm desperate to build a shed to put all my work gear in and keep it away from home.. I've plenty of farm land but what's the chance of building a random shed in the corner of one of the fields? most of my kit as some point is required for maintaining the land, even tho it's rented out to local farmers and not farmed by myself. Anyone done similar?

Try for Permitted Development - 28 Day application. If you are using it to store machinery used to maintain your land then you have a legitimate right to this type of application.

Max. size is 465 sqm, more than 25m from roads, not within 3km of an aerodrome, you can't use it for livestock
It won't go before the Parish Council, just the District Council to approve/deny it.
It might even be worth calling the District Council and asking for a tele-con with a planning officer, just to run through it with them. Be clear about your intentions.

You could ask a Land Agent to make the application for you, usually around 400 notes.

quattromike 10-07-2017 10:21 PM

I was looking for a shed or somewhere to build a shed locally for about 8 years. Finally a place came up but was a bit run down and in need of a lot of work. But had a good sized steel portal framed building and a bit of land with it. I started to get in in some kind of order and erected a perimeter fence and gate and put a decent door onto the building and the next I knew I had the local authority on me for unpermited development and change of use. But I'm a farmer I claimed :rolleyes: in the end all they could do was make me apply for retrospective planning for the fence that was within 20m of a public road.

V8Druid 11-07-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quattromike (Post 154850)
I was looking for a shed or somewhere to build a shed locally for about 8 years. Finally a place came up but was a bit run down and in need of a lot of work. But had a good sized steel portal framed building and a bit of land with it. I started to get in in some kind of order and erected a perimeter fence and gate and put a decent door onto the building and the next I knew I had the local authority on me for unpermited development and change of use. But I'm a farmer I claimed :rolleyes: in the end all they could do was make me apply for retrospective planning for the fence that was within 20m of a public road.

bloody awful isn't it .... you tidy up what might have been an eyesore and they're on your back like vultures ... WYF is wrong with the system in the UK :mad::mad:

V8Druid 11-07-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 154848)
Try for Permitted Development - 28 Day application. If you are using it to store machinery used to maintain your land then you have a legitimate right to this type of application.

Max. size is 465 sqm, more than 25m from roads, not within 3km of an aerodrome, you can't use it for livestock
It won't go before the Parish Council, just the District Council to approve/deny it.
It might even be worth calling the District Council and asking for a tele-con with a planning officer, just to run through it with them. Be clear about your intentions.

You could ask a Land Agent to make the application for you, usually around 400 notes.

very interesting info Rich :cool: .... you sure about the size though .... tha's a hell of a building 5000 sq. ft. .... could park a few implements/traccies in a 100 x 50ft shed :eek:
I'd understood it to be 1800 sq. ft. ?? .... hence my target size of 40' x 45' (initially) ;):D