View Single Post
  #24   IP: 86.165.228.11
Old 24-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: What you getting paid???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
Oh I see. Don't get me started on that one. Too late

To my mind, the purpose of bis rates, is to reimburse the public purse for the cost of supporting infrastructure provided to your business. But it is not. It is a tax on assumed income, based on property valuation, but unlike income tax, there is no consideration given as to whether the income is there to tax. That is why it can be such an issue for small, new business. It's a very blunt form of taxation that needs a damn good shake up.
Ditto PD.
Don't get me started on UBR.
The 'multiplier' for it is based on a scale of 1 to 10 against your square footage.
One being barely habitable, ten being a brand new, state of the art building.
Default is TEN!!

You have to fight to get a proper assessment done and even then are not assured of any success/reduction.
My 1930s bldg should have been a '3' on the scale - old and leaked heat like an open top car!!

Could never get any reduction and to add insult to injury the ba****ds are still charging me 100% even though it's not been used/occupied since Sept. '10 for commercial enterprise.

Only way round it is to 'flat pack' the bldg, for which you need planning consent!!
It has taken almost three years to get two applications approved to do anything with it, including 'flat packing' it, to save me the 'kin rates, every month!!!!!!

Meanwhile the same authority, who have dragged their planning feet to the point of having a public inquiry appointed against them, scheduled for July this year, have been bleeding me dry, whilst they make up their ******* minds!!!!!!!

Don't get me started on UBR!!!!!!