The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#21   IP: 92.30.29.91
Old 06-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Default Re: Mid size van opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicurly View Post
Just to stop people using Google to search for a spec for a van and clone the plates. Maybe unnecessary but better safe than sorry.
I thought something like that. Had a mate do that when he was selling vehicles.
Thing is, nothing to stop people doing it as they see you on the road or parked. They'll even steal the actual plates off your van. The mate I was on about never showed reg numbers but he once still had one cloned. Like you and Graham say i suppose ... better to protect your self just in case it makes it easier for the arsholes. Often see breakers on trucks going up the road with the plates taped up, better for the crooks because if they got the number there would still only be one of the numbers on the road.

Last edited by Traxcavator.; 06-05-2016 at 08:41 PM.
  #22   IP: 86.7.227.236
Old 06-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Intendant of the Building

It's annoying when for sale ads don't show the reg and they get funny when you ask them about the reg. The mot history check is great but you need a reg to do it if they have the plate hidden or are funny showing it its almost like they're trying to hid something

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #23   IP: 86.139.93.98
Old 07-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Knight of the East

yeah, hidden plates on cars for sale means steer clear, they are hiding poor history. why would anyone care if a car they are selling is cloned?

if you want to clone a motor you just keep an eye out when driving surely?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#24   IP: 80.247.25.141
Old 07-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Diggers View Post
yeah, hidden plates on cars for sale means steer clear, they are hiding poor history. why would anyone care if a car they are selling is cloned?

if you want to clone a motor you just keep an eye out when driving surely?
I hide them when selling, but happy to disclose if someone asks. The thing with looking on eBay is someone can search for the exact model to copy.
  #25   IP: 86.132.144.89
Old 07-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Knight of the East and West

If they are going to clone a motor it's usually one that's not local, so finding one for sale and getting the I'd from that is easier than a drive to the other end of the country I guess

Mate of mine had his car stolen, when it was found, which was by pure chance anyway, it had been cloned onto another set of plates, but wasn't the exact model! Ironically that's how it was found, the copper who spotted it knew his cars!
  #26   IP: 85.255.234.147
Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM

I've got a Vauxhall vivaro 12 plate it's real good on fuel can get 550 plus miles on a tank and that's it fully loaded.
  #27   IP: 2.26.160.116
Old 07-05-2016, 04:45 PM

I had a lwb transit cloned I was selling last month. They are able to check mot tax and insurance from comfort of their arm chair before making plates.

It was used in a robbery and ended up getting woken by police at 4am. The cloned van was in a police chase 300 miles away.

Cover them up from now on.
  #28   IP: 86.113.123.34
Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Had a metro years ago was second owner on it was a Cornish car and never left cornwall in its life then one day had a letter with photo from London borough council saying my car had been caught using a bus lane
I was thinking what the....
Noticed in the pic the car had same plates but also a added extra the car in photo had front fog light and mine did not so had a copper who's a family friend write them a letter to say you have a cloned car up your way
  #29   IP: 86.143.143.138
Old 07-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Sublime Master Elected

a local guy i know got a sumonds last year for speeding on the motorway i think by london not sure but hundreds of miles away on his tractor