The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#1   IP: 86.138.20.91
Old 02-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Default 7.5T Lorries

Right.

Very Busy, too busy in fact and need to streamline things a bit... for various reasons including Drivers hours, people available with licenses and Insurance it is most likely going to be sensible from a cost perspective to swap down to a 7.5t Tipper (preferably with Hiab).

Anyone got any opinions on the best make. Talking 2001 - 2005 vintage. Got my eyes on a Few Daf 45's.

It won't be a skip lorry as I can't get the payload/gear spec I want. Needs to be a tipper... 3.5t payload minimum, plus 3500kg towing capacity.

Thoughts please?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #2   IP: 86.159.248.224
Old 02-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Default Re: 7.5T Lorries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Right.

Very Busy, too busy in fact and need to streamline things a bit... for various reasons including Drivers hours, people available with licenses and Insurance it is most likely going to be sensible from a cost perspective to swap down to a 7.5t Tipper (preferably with Hiab).

Anyone got any opinions on the best make. Talking 2001 - 2005 vintage. Got my eyes on a Few Daf 45's.

It won't be a skip lorry as I can't get the payload/gear spec I want. Needs to be a tipper... 3.5t payload minimum, plus 3500kg towing capacity.

Thoughts please?
Iveco 75e15, had a few and never any bother and the are manual pump with no electronics and they are 6cly, the later tectors 75e17 are 4pot with more electronics but still good.

The old daf 45 are a good truck too. If you had asked earlier in the year I knew where a 2004 lf45 with hiab was and was owner op from new.

To get an even better payload then you need to be looking at isuzu NQR or canter. Both are 3500kg towing weight.

The daf and iveco 75e (and man 8.163 and merc atego) will have a payload of around 3t as a tipper. An Isuzu or canter with an ali tipper body will get 4t

Last edited by hiluxman; 02-10-2017 at 07:22 PM.
  #3   IP: 86.143.138.182
Old 02-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

all 7.5s should have a 3.5t tow capacity .... they're rated 11t GTW usually ....

Iveco'd get my vote too, with the 6 lunger in the chassis ... comfortable, quick, pull better loaded than empty and'll return 20-22mpg driven with a light foot and under 55mph

You'll struggle to get a 3.5t payload though, with a tip body AND a hiab on board an Iveco chassis
  #4   IP: 109.146.247.81
Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Secret Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
all 7.5s should have a 3.5t tow capacity .... they're rated 11t GTW usually ....

Iveco'd get my vote too, with the 6 lunger in the chassis ... comfortable, quick, pull better loaded than empty and'll return 20-22mpg driven with a light foot and under 55mph

You'll struggle to get a 3.5t payload though, with a tip body AND a hiab on board an Iveco chassis
Probably would need a 4 pot motor though to save weight. Be lucky I think to get a 2.5t payload with a hiab fitted?
I have used daf 45's for the last 10 years and apart from the odd wheel bearing and a rotten fuel tank they have bean pretty bomb proof.
When the jap stuff goes wrong they cost a small fortune to repair.
  #5   IP: 86.159.248.224
Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post

Iveco'd get my vote too, with the 6 lunger in the chassis ... comfortable, quick, pull better loaded than empty and'll return 20-22mpg
Yes they are decent on derv too.
  #6   IP: 81.132.156.226
Old 02-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Intendant of the Building

We run an atego with 24 ft drop side body and with that its lucky if we get 3 ton on it. Comfy to drive and safety inspections every 12weeks never needs nowt, although every time I take her for test there is always a niggle either a light needs a wiggle or adjust the head light or once the wheel had gone soft blow it up and was fine. Just leaves a grey mark on your operator licence every time you get a prs.
  #7   IP: 86.138.20.91
Old 02-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

I'll be honest... I don't like the Iveco 7.5t's, if it was a case of under 7.5t they'd be my first choice but experience with Cargo's is that they are Rot Boxes with outdated fluid brakes so there out for personal hatred reasons. Drive nice but that's not everything. Likewise both the Izuzu and Mitsi are abit tinplate for my liking.... (Because It WILL end up driving through a hedge).

Going down the Idea of a Daf route - What engine does a LF45 -150 have? I would presume 4 pot Turbo'd with a 5 speed box?

Probably will result in a Daf, I'd like a Merc really but there don't seem to be many about... Even a older 817 would suit me as I've plenty of spares...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#8   IP: 86.113.106.47
Old 02-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

If going daf make sure to tip cab to check the underside for rust as they get bad with age and rust out where front and back mountings are might find cab auto tips under hard braking lol
  #9   IP: 86.159.248.224
Old 02-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
I'll be honest... I don't like the Iveco 7.5t's, if it was a case of under 7.5t they'd be my first choice but experience with Cargo's is that they are Rot Boxes with outdated fluid brakes so there out for personal hatred reasons. Drive nice but that's not everything. Likewise both the Izuzu and Mitsi are abit tinplate for my liking.... (Because It WILL end up driving through a hedge).

Going down the Idea of a Daf route - What engine does a LF45 -150 have? I would presume 4 pot Turbo'd with a 5 speed box?

Probably will result in a Daf, I'd like a Merc really but there don't seem to be many about... Even a older 817 would suit me as I've plenty of spares...
Never had any issues of rot on the 75e, and some ran to 500k kms and I know of one which is still on the road. As for breaks never had any issues at all, in fact all have been shit hot at stopping. I can't say about the Ford cargos...we never had them only the iveco cargos.

Daf are Cummins engines either 4bt or 6bt, if I remember correctly.

Any lorry resulting through a hedge is down to the driver not the lorry. And I wouldn't recommend that in any 7.5tonner.
  #10   IP: 86.138.20.91
Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
Never had any issues of rot on the 75e

Any lorry resulting through a hedge is down to the driver not the lorry. And I wouldn't recommend that in any 7.5tonner.
We have rather Salty Air and roads As for hedges I didn't say it'd be the lorries fault, But we go places others wouldn't and as a result need Tonka quality.... That is one thing the Cabstar isn't (far too low to the ground)