The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   IP: 83.205.159.196
Old 15-11-2017, 06:42 PM
furniss480 furniss480 is offline
Master Elect of Nine
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 466
Default Hookloaders

Looking at hookloaders in the 12T GVW class to job a little 5.5tonner about - seems to be between the three below which appear to be the most popular (at least over here)

Iveco eurocargo 120E 18
Renault Midlum 190-12
Mercedes Atego 1218

They are a hell of a price over here in france anyone got any experience good or bad with them ? anything I should look out for ? never had anything to do with hookloaders before.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2   IP: 92.28.205.242
Old 15-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Mintsauce's Avatar
Mintsauce Mintsauce is offline
Master of the Ninth Arch
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In the Grub Hut
Posts: 1,543
Default Re: Hookloaders

Would it be worth adding tractor/dump trailer to the list?

If your mileage isn't too big that is. Some of the dump trailers will take a digger of this width I believe. Hookloader/trailer combos are also available.

I would be happy with an iveco if its going to be spending a lot of time parked outside the job. I did find that in the 18t version 180hp coupled with a 6 speed box isn't man enough for hilly country or anything very demanding off the highways. With 12t you would be OK I guess.

Sorry no direct experience with hookloaders. Also I think the more recent Renault trucks share a fair amount of Volvo parts according to my fitter so I would take a look at these.
__________________
One Wife, Livid.
Reply With Quote
  #3   IP: 92.28.205.242
Old 15-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Mintsauce's Avatar
Mintsauce Mintsauce is offline
Master of the Ninth Arch
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In the Grub Hut
Posts: 1,543
Default Re: Hookloaders

Guess I never rated Mercedes as from experience over the years the cabs always rotted out and they weren't well regarded as tippers. I expect all that has changed now though but my opinion has been permanently skewed.
__________________
One Wife, Livid.
Reply With Quote
  #4   IP: 86.138.19.78
Old 15-11-2017, 08:26 PM
JD450A's Avatar
JD450A JD450A is offline
Prince of Jerusalem
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Not really sure
Posts: 5,002
Default Re: Hookloaders

Won't go wrong with an Atego, As with the older Mercs they are much heavier construction than the respective Iveco/Daf, but IMHO they will last longer.

We have the last Pre Atego 1317 working locally. Lots more about as horse wagons or vintage tractor shifters. 814/817's are still popular enough.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
Reply With Quote
  #5   IP: 83.205.159.196
Old 15-11-2017, 08:30 PM
furniss480 furniss480 is offline
Master Elect of Nine
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 466
Default Re: Hookloaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
Would it be worth adding tractor/dump trailer to the list?

If your mileage isn't too big that is. Some of the dump trailers will take a digger of this width I believe. Hookloader/trailer combos are also available.

I would be happy with an iveco if its going to be spending a lot of time parked outside the job. I did find that in the 18t version 180hp coupled with a 6 speed box isn't man enough for hilly country or anything very demanding off the highways. With 12t you would be OK I guess.

Sorry no direct experience with hookloaders. Also I think the more recent Renault trucks share a fair amount of Volvo parts according to my fitter so I would take a look at these.
Like the u.k its a minefield with tractors and trailers - o.k for agri and forestry - we could run one for the forestry related jobs we do but for the bulk of our work it would be winging it.

I wondered whether the 180 would be man enough for the 12 tons - looking at approx 2009 MY which all seem to be about 180 - I notice that some of the newer ones are 220 but then something around 3 or 4 years old is out of my budget - over here they are still looking for about 50K
Reply With Quote
  #6   IP: 83.205.159.196
Old 15-11-2017, 08:36 PM
furniss480 furniss480 is offline
Master Elect of Nine
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 466
Default Re: Hookloaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Won't go wrong with an Atego, As with the older Mercs they are much heavier construction than the respective Iveco/Daf, but IMHO they will last longer.

We have the last Pre Atego 1317 working locally. Lots more about as horse wagons or vintage tractor shifters. 814/817's are still popular enough.
yeah I noticed the Mercs weigh more empty ... could be bad or good depending on how you look at it.
Reply With Quote
  #7   IP: 86.138.19.78
Old 15-11-2017, 08:47 PM
JD450A's Avatar
JD450A JD450A is offline
Prince of Jerusalem
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Not really sure
Posts: 5,002
Default Re: Hookloaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by furniss480 View Post
yeah I noticed the Mercs weigh more empty ... could be bad or good depending on how you look at it.
A merc 7.5t lorry chassis is pretty much the same build as the 13t, Just lighter springs and axles.

a Daf or Iveco 7.5t chassis is the same as the 10t variant I believe.

More steel makes it heavier. Depends on your application but if your RAF like me Heavier is better.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
Reply With Quote
  #8   IP: 85.210.151.128
Old 15-11-2017, 11:59 PM
muckyman muckyman is offline
Master Elect of Nine
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: swinton south yorkshire
Posts: 410
Default Re: Hookloaders

Only ran 6 wheelers but our main problem is bed height so choose a low one.bins are pricey but theres nothing better for moving plant
Reply With Quote
  #9   IP: 83.205.159.196
Old 16-11-2017, 05:11 AM
furniss480 furniss480 is offline
Master Elect of Nine
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 466
Default Re: Hookloaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckyman View Post
Only ran 6 wheelers but our main problem is bed height so choose a low one.bins are pricey but theres nothing better for moving plant

noted thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10   IP: 86.136.9.53
Old 16-11-2017, 10:41 AM
V8Druid's Avatar
V8Druid V8Druid is offline
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Posts: 15,024
Default Re: Hookloaders

I think Minty meant look at using traccies/dump trailers as a legit method, not as a dodge .....
for limited distance/usage I could see a lot of advantages over a truck, be more flexible and would/could probably be utilised far more on the job too
__________________
If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
Partner Links



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.