The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#1   IP: 92.26.220.192
Old 11-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Grand Master Architect

Default Potential Defender Replacement

Love them or hate them but they filled a niche in the 4x4 pickup market with a 7t train weight at a given price point. Offering a sensible carrying capacity at the same time as towing 3.5t.

This Yank Bollinger B1 whet my appetite and looks to have some serious potential given some alteration for the European/British market (airbags being 1 example)

http://bollingermotors.com

Doubt we'll see one on this side of the Atlantic for some time, but I'm not looking forward to the expected soft job coming out of Solihull in the next year or so.

Last edited by Mintsauce; 11-12-2017 at 07:43 PM.
  #2   IP: 86.138.19.252
Old 11-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Knight of the East

Default Re: Potential Defender Replacement

Well, It's surpassed the defender in the category of "looks like a steel death box that will kill you"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" "It's not just for money alone that one spends a lifetime building up a businessÖ. It's to preserve a way of life that one knew and loved. No, I can't see my way to selling out to the new vested interests, Mr. Jorkin. I'll have to be loyal to the old ways and die out with them if needs must" - Mr Fezziewig, 1721 - Fuck knows dickens never told me.
  #3   IP: 92.26.220.192
Old 11-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Grand Master Architect

Uk squaddies had the wolf variant in top position right now. Proven in Afghanistan
  #4   IP: 31.52.88.212
Old 11-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Aside from me rangeys, both historics, classics, the odd disco and me P38, I've also run a few Landies, series IIs, IIIs and the coil sprung 'defender' offerings !!! ..
Although they can be a total PITFA they're also a damned good tool and will take some replacing, for what they do / did, at a price.

Anyone remember the Portaros https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portaro

few of my old customers had 'em .. opinions were like .......... marmite!!

never tried one so no idea.

Did fancy trying a Pinzgauer ..... great capacity and pretty bomb proof .. could used to be had for not too silly money too, but no idea what they fetch these days

A huge variety of body styles and configurations 4 or 6 wheel drive .... or tracks !! ...... phenomenally capable off road .. a vehicle of choice for a lot of Eu countrie's armies. Quite a weapon

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=...qb9UIK-2hWqXM:

Don't go much on that Bollinger though Mint ...... thought we were talking champagne for a minute
  #5   IP: 31.185.213.49
Old 11-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I like the look, but the towing ability and range donít cut it for me.
Considering a Tesla as a second car when the Volvo estate dies, but really looking forward to self driving cars. Just go to sleep in the back and get woken up when Iím on site. What could possibly go wrong?
Seriously, though, hope they arrive before Iím dodery and have to give up my licence. Trying to persuade my dad to stop driving, but just wonít hear of it. Looked at a new car with all the parking, lane sensors etc, but he is too deaf to hear them. If the car did the driving wouldnít be a problem.
Graham
  #6   IP: 92.26.220.192
Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Grand Master Architect

[QUOTE=V8Druid;157618]Aside from me rangeys, both historics, classics, the odd disco and me P38, I've also run a few Landies, series IIs, IIIs and the coil sprung 'defender' offerings !!! ..
Although they can be a total PITFA they're also a damned good tool and will take some replacing, for what they do / did, at a price.

never tried one so no idea.

Did fancy trying a Pinzgauer ..... great capacity and pretty bomb proof .. could used to be had for not too silly money too, but no idea what they fetch these days

A huge variety of body styles and configurations 4 or 6 wheel drive .... or tracks !! ...... phenomenally capable off road .. a vehicle of choice for a lot of Eu countrie's armies. Quite a weapon

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=...qb9UIK-2hWqXM:

Don't go much on that Bollinger though Mint ...... thought we were talking champagne for a minute [/QUO

I believe Portaro made a 4x4 called the Pampas from memory (nothing to do with nappies by brand name he he)

I like the good old Pinz but don't know anything regarding their train weights or even if they're available off the shelf in civvy land. I'd be interested to know what gets used in mainland Europe?
  #7   IP: 92.26.220.192
Old 11-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
I like the look, but the towing ability and range donít cut it for me.
Considering a Tesla as a second car when the Volvo estate dies, but really looking forward to self driving cars. Just go to sleep in the back and get woken up when Iím on site. What could possibly go wrong?
Seriously, though, hope they arrive before Iím dodery and have to give up my licence. Trying to persuade my dad to stop driving, but just wonít hear of it. Looked at a new car with all the parking, lane sensors etc, but he is too deaf to hear them. If the car did the driving wouldnít be a problem.
Graham

I can't see the Bollinger over here realistically. I remember Lamborghini bringing out that monster off roader in the 1980s which the yanks morphed into the Humvee and it seemed perfect for what they needed it for. I guess I am kind of hoping they might just come up with what some of us might see as the perfect solution.

I like the idea of charging it up over night and never visiting the fuel stations. What sort of range do Tesla estimate?
  #8   IP: 92.26.220.192
Old 11-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Grand Master Architect

I would also be happy to get that extra sleep on the way to work but know that I'd be kept awake by those pesky kids stepping off the pavement to test out the cars stopping/swerving ability?
  #9   IP: 31.185.213.49
Old 11-12-2017, 10:35 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
I can't see the Bollinger over here realistically. I remember Lamborghini bringing out that monster off roader in the 1980s which the yanks morphed into the Humvee and it seemed perfect for what they needed it for. I guess I am kind of hoping they might just come up with what some of us might see as the perfect solution.

I like the idea of charging it up over night and never visiting the fuel stations. What sort of range do Tesla estimate?
Tesla model 3, which is the cheaper one is rated at 220-310 miles per charge. Obviously that is an exaggeration, but if it only did 100 miles would meet most of our domestic needs.
I saw one of those Lamborghiniís at Silverstone on a run what you brung day. What a beast, would love to swap my pickup for one, but somehow donít think it will happen.
Graham
  #10   IP: 31.185.213.49
Old 11-12-2017, 10:41 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

[QUOTE=Mintsauce;157630]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post

never tried one so no idea.?
I had a Santana for a few years. Spanish I think, made in a factory that used to put together series Landroverís then had a falling out with Landrover, but kept building them under their own name. Was okay, pretty well put together, but very basic, a bit like driving something from the 80ís, but this was in early 2000ís. 150,000 miles hard towing wore it out.
Graham