The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#11   IP: 31.52.88.212
Old 12-12-2017, 12:11 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Potential Defender Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post

I believe Portaro made a 4x4 called the Pampas from memory (nothing to do with nappies by brand name he he)

I like the good old Pinz but don't know anything regarding their train weights or even if they're available off the shelf in civvy land. I'd be interested to know what gets used in mainland Europe?
the ubiquitous G wagon used to be 'the weapon' Mint, but with them starting at £90k now .... who knows !! ?

not exactly yer average works barge

the pic in my post was the Pampas ..... as far as I recall Boyo.

Never seen a civvy pinz .... mostly military cast offs, but they do exist.

There's an auction every year in Thun, just outside Geneva, at a military base, where you can buy the pinzs at realistic bucks ... but as seen/inspected .... Bought the catalogue a couple of times and very nearly went one year ..... but work got in the way, as usual

Now they are a serious 'works barge'
  #12   IP: 81.2.93.37
Old 13-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Master Elect of Nine

I'd be very surprised if we don't see a hybrid powertrain when they re-launch the defender. It's now an option on other vehicles in their lineup.

That Bollinger does look cool tho!
  #13   IP: 185.16.224.33
Old 16-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post

I believe Portaro made a 4x4 called the Pampas from memory (nothing to do with nappies by brand name he he)

I like the good old Pinz but don't know anything regarding their train weights or even if they're available off the shelf in civvy land. I'd be interested to know what gets used in mainland Europe?

An old Farmer friend had a pampas,think it was 86 built,only thing I can remember was it colour ,pale blue.

I've had umpteen 90s all 200 and 300tdis they served us very well.

Mended neighbours td5 this week and had to send it back before I fell in love again,opened the door in the morning thinking I'd left the window open,nah it's got the usual leaky roof.
  #14   IP: 81.153.167.106
Old 16-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Knight of the East and West

It will be a miracle if we ever see a Defebder replacement on dealers forecourts. LandRover are not interested in the commercial market. Unless they have changed their minds very recently, I donít think they offer a commercial spec vehicle at all?.....

I think they have lost too many customers to the pickup sector, and the likelihood of a new Defender being competitively priced is even more pie in the sky!

If, and itís only and if, they build it, then it will no doubt sell, but the numbers will be small I suspect, and the market will be niche, aiming at the trendy weekend runaround for the rich n famous, I personally donít think we will see a new Defender being used as we are all used to seeing, lugging diggers around, animals to market etc etc.....

If they were serious about the Defender, serious at all, then theyd have done it by now, and had one ready to roll out when the outgoing model ceased production.
  #15   IP: 87.112.91.122
Old 16-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Anyone remember the Austin Gypsies? or for that matter the military Austin Champs. Guy that I worked for before college bought a job lot of 15 of the B******s.
  #16   IP: 31.52.88.212
Old 16-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman093 View Post
Anyone remember the Austin Gypsies? or for that matter the military Austin Champs. Guy that I worked for before college bought a job lot of 15 of the B******s.
aye I remember 'em .... nearly bought a Gypsy once ... were supposed to be a reasonable bus .... but never had the chance to try it, as sold 'fore I got to it.

A mate had a champ ... cured him
  #17   IP: 84.93.103.112
Old 17-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhands View Post
Unless they have changed their minds very recently, I don’t think they offer a commercial spec vehicle at all?.....
No commercials in the Discovery or Freelander now. They seem ashamed of their heritage - we don't want to sell to those oiks who may get it dirty, what would our upmarket custmers think?
I was chatting to a guy I know who bought one of the last Discovery commercials. He was going to sell it before the warranty runs out because of the steady steam of problems he has had with it. Nothing major, yet, but enough to worry him. But as he was saying he can't buy another one even if he wanted to. He has put his name down for the new Mercedes pickup. He doesn't do hardly any miles, but likes comfort and needs to occationally tow 3.5t for work or a big horse box.
Graham

Last edited by grahams; 17-12-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
  #18   IP: 90.252.42.42
Old 17-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Intendant of the Building

I love Defenders, spent most of my youth restoring a 1980 SIII that I drove when I was 17 and now have a 1997 300tdi 90. Its the car I had a poster of on my wall (Ferrari's just wernt my thing) and I love it even though its becoming increasingly hard to keep on top of the little jobs to keep it in good condition.

My old man was right when he said keep a Landrover on the drive but drive a Jap pickup day to day - my 12 Navara was a good truck to me although not without its own issues. Thing is, it was never as tough as the Defender and couldn't tow half as much. Using it for work definitely shortened its lifespan. Lovely to drive but couldn't handle the abuse and just couldn't keep up with a Defender in the mud - even on the same tyres.

The new defender is bound to be a Jeep Renegade type vehicle - small, bold styling, "adventure" aimed at the weekend surfer who maybe parks in a dirt carpark by the beach. You cant blame them, its a bigger market than the utility sector, the Defender never sold well in larger numbers (although was always steady). The original Series was made on a budget of nothing - these days its millions to design a car before you've even made a prototype, let alone tooling costs, safety tests etc to make it into production. The original never had that and you couldn't make one today pass any regulations no matter how big your budget. As soon as people started making modified rear bodys for the Jap pickups the Defender had lost it.

TBH I'm surprised Landrover didn't go down the pickup route for the new Defender, especially as Merc, VW etc have latched onto it. Could of been an interesting vehicle.

The answer for us guys who need a proper 4x4 based utility vehicle is waiting over the pond. Ford in particular have been trying to make all their cars suitable for the whole world rather than individual markets and this might just bring us the F150 series to UK shores in RHD. The Yank aftermarket for modifications is huge to suit all kinds of trades, towing performance is twice ours so even if we can only tow 3.5t here, it wont bother it as its nowhere near its maximum. Decent sized load beds and rear seats. Just don't try to park it in Tesco's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #19   IP: 82.10.225.154
Old 18-12-2017, 09:51 PM
Intendant of the Building

Turns out the new discovery commercial will start at £40333 plus vat for the entry level

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #20   IP: 159.253.162.138
Old 18-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MchaleBuildingServices View Post
Turns out the new discovery commercial will start at £40333 plus vat for the entry level
Where did you see that? When is out?
Graham