The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#1   IP: 109.148.99.231
Old 22-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Secret Master

Default 7-8 ton tracked excavator

Evening all

I'm half debating whether to get a 7-8 ton machine . I've had a look at a few such as a takeuchi tb80&180fr didn't seem to bad , not overly a fan of that rattly yanmar lump and they seem to suffer a bit bad with rust compared to much older machines of other makes ?Case cx75 and a nh kobelco e80 seemed like nice machines and the quieter Isuzu lump in them.

Not looking at a huge budget , thinking 12-15k and start there .

What do you guys run and what's your thoughts on them

Cheers
Matt
  #2   IP: 90.255.16.116
Old 22-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Intendant of the Building

Default Re: 7-8 ton tracked excavator

Friend of mine just picked up a New Holland E80 with brand new undercarriage on 600mm tracks, think its around 05 in year, spent 500 doing bucket pins and bushes, bit of paint and its turned out a tidy machine. The Izuzu engine shares many parts with the Trooper so spares arent hard to come by. At that age its technically a Kobelco in New Holland colours so not a bad buy really, think he paid at the lower end of your budget for it.
We shall see how it goes over the next year but certainly a lot of machine for your money and simple to maintain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #3   IP: 82.30.1.218
Old 22-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Grand Master Architect

you dont get much for your money at that price sadly.

Takeuchi would be my choice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on Facebook
  #4   IP: 86.165.39.116
Old 22-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Nice thing with the Takeuchi is the biggest thing to majorly fuck up is the electronic throttle.... which can be replaced with a cable, a zip tie or the correct parts (fkn control module is around 900 and motor 300 so the cable or zip tie are better options).

Mine is Pushing 6k hrs. now, Just had starter motor go (300 inc vat etc), not had much go wrong in 1500 or so hours and I'd gladly have another.

Parts on the shelf.... admittedly I sometimes feel like going to CBL and shitting on there doorstep as they can be fucking useless. But there are some in the firm that are cracking like Keith!

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #5   IP: 109.148.99.231
Old 23-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Secret Master

Jd450a I saw a Volvo with cable ties holding the throttle so I assume the same issue must have happened there, it was ecr88 . Any review on a solar 75v ? I'd usually go for a jcb but not hearing great things about the 8080

Matt
  #6   IP: 86.165.39.116
Old 23-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quite Possibly mate, the electronic throttle is the biggest waste of time going on any machine IMHO! Long live the cable.

Great way to smash them down on price though. Throttle doesn't work. Knock them down 1500 as it'll cost that to repair.... then fit a 80 cable

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #7   IP: 86.136.8.243
Old 23-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Quite Possibly mate, the electronic throttle is the biggest waste of time going on any machine IMHO! Long live the cable.

Great way to smash them down on price though. Throttle doesn't work. Knock them down 1500 as it'll cost that to repair.... then fit a 80 cable
if / when the 'Drema's 'throttle on a button' decides to 'die' it'll be happening here for sure .. already have it sussed and TBH I reckon a cable is much kinder to the motor than the sudden surge of rev.s the electronic units give the motor
  #8   IP: 83.205.159.196
Old 23-11-2017, 07:51 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattey View Post
Jd450a I saw a Volvo with cable ties holding the throttle so I assume the same issue must have happened there, it was ecr88 . Any review on a solar 75v ? I'd usually go for a jcb but not hearing great things about the 8080

Matt
Ive had a few 8080's and thought they were good value for money - had a few niggles with them but then you can do with any of the brands - they are a basic machine and as you point out they are not really well thought of so you can pick up a real bargain and you may be lucky with it - plus side is buckets and attachments are plentiful and cheap due to the common dims across the range - dont rule out a well looked after example.
  #9   IP: 86.136.8.243
Old 23-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by furniss480 View Post
Ive had a few 8080's and thought they were good value for money - had a few niggles with them but then you can do with any of the brands - they are a basic machine and as you point out they are not really well thought of so you can pick up a real bargain and you may be lucky with it - plus side is buckets and attachments are plentiful and cheap due to the common dims across the range - dont rule out a well looked after example.
interesting school of thought that .... they're certainly cheaper than all their competitors in the size range
trouble is, if you do buy a real lemon ... it's yellower than lemon yellow, when you too want out.
  #10   IP: 109.148.99.231
Old 23-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Secret Master

Valid point about attachments for an 8080 . We run a 3cx and have a range of buckets and an auger on her so they would just be a straight swap . My old man would pick a jcb everyday .