The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#1   IP: 79.67.1.34
Old 22-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Intimate Secretary

Default Micro digger/tracked dumper

Looking to buy a micro digger and a wee tracked dumper in the next couple of months. So far looking at the diggers it's between Kubota, Bobcat and Takeuchi. What's everyone's thoughts on these? What about servos vs sticks? I'm wondering if the servos would be a pain for jumping on and off and the sticks don't seem to be much of a stretch to reach?

As for the dumper I really like the look of the Hinowa/Kubota but the JCB Dumpster is tempting due to the price and the smaller dimensions. Is the Hinowa worth the extra £2500?
  #2   IP: 209.93.206.164
Old 22-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Re: Micro digger/tracked dumper

Iíve got a couple of hinowa self loading high tip Dumperís. Totally bomb proof. Really good kit. I would consider the self loading and high tip options. Iíve found them really useful.
Iíve hired a few micros in the past and found if I was operating all day the sticks gave me back ache. Found I had to hunch over rather than sitting comfortably with with normal controls at the end of the armrest.
Graham
  #3   IP: 213.205.198.245
Old 23-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Grand Master Architect

I can only speak from a operation point of view but servo controls on a micro are a god send, not only are they easier to use i think you get a lot more precision with them if needed, the amount of travel on standard sticks is a lot given the size of the machine and your forever crouched forward.

Not a sales pitch but we do a lumag dumper and have sold a fair few now, dont let the price fool you they do exactly as they should, the only negative thing i can say is you wont win any races with the single speed, however its as fast fully loaded as it is empty which many are not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on Twitter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow us on Facebook

Last edited by Regy53; 23-04-2018 at 08:41 AM.
  #4   IP: 78.149.1.25
Old 23-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Hi mate I hired a a takeuchi with servos a year or so ago and I can honestly say it's not for me.

I find myself getting on and off these little machines a lot so it's sticks up front for me.

Yes 👍 nice and smooth to drive and if I was in the seat for longer periods I would probably think again.

What I find is a big factor with micros is the tailswing. The jcb 1 tonner I had was dreadful for it so I would prefer limited or zts. Better for working in or around buildings but possibly at the expense of stump pulling power?
  #5   IP: 79.67.1.34
Old 23-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
Iíve got a couple of hinowa self loading high tip Dumperís. Totally bomb proof. Really good kit. I would consider the self loading and high tip options. Iíve found them really useful.
Iíve hired a few micros in the past and found if I was operating all day the sticks gave me back ache. Found I had to hunch over rather than sitting comfortably with with normal controls at the end of the armrest.
Graham
Hi Graham I would definitely go for the high tip option, not so sure about the self loading though. Do you know how much extra that option was?
  #6   IP: 79.67.1.34
Old 23-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regy53 View Post
Not a sales pitch but we do a lumag dumper and have sold a fair few now, dont let the price fool you they do exactly as they should, the only negative thing i can say is you wont win any races with the single speed, however its as fast fully loaded as it is empty which many are not
Hi Ross, is there a high tip option available yet?
  #7   IP: 79.67.1.34
Old 23-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
Hi mate I hired a a takeuchi with servos a year or so ago and I can honestly say it's not for me.

I find myself getting on and off these little machines a lot so it's sticks up front for me.

Yes 👍 nice and smooth to drive and if I was in the seat for longer periods I would probably think again.

What I find is a big factor with micros is the tailswing. The jcb 1 tonner I had was dreadful for it so I would prefer limited or zts. Better for working in or around buildings but possibly at the expense of stump pulling power?
I usually work on my own so would be on and off a lot too, think I would definitely have servos if I wasn't on and off so much.

Think the Kubota and Bobcat are pretty much zts, not sure about Takeuchi. Got a price for the JCB but not really considering it to be honest.
  #8   IP: 87.113.136.44
Old 23-04-2018, 07:28 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo69 View Post
Hi Graham I would definitely go for the high tip option, not so sure about the self loading though. Do you know how much extra that option was?
Got mine second hand. Don't know about new price.
Graham
  #9   IP: 78.149.1.25
Old 23-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo69 View Post
I usually work on my own so would be on and off a lot too, think I would definitely have servos if I wasn't on and off so much.

Think the Kubota and Bobcat are pretty much zts, not sure about Takeuchi. Got a price for the JCB but not really considering it to be honest.

Takeuchi was a short tail swing I think due to the roll over protection frame, don't quote me on that. I've also been on Kubota u10 with front levers which I liked but they can nod a bit when you need to pull on roots or other though digging.

I ran my 1 tonner with a Volvo ED750 wheeled dumper which at 1m wide managed to get in and out of most jobs but not all. It was surprisingly stable and very capable on rough ground. I really liked that little dumper but could never seem to get the brakes to work well.
  #10   IP: 90.254.28.235
Old 24-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Intendant of the Building

The Kubota KX008 and U10 are solid machines but being 6ft tall I find my knee knocks the throttle leaver off when the digging gets tough which is quite annoying. I also find them awkward to get on and off and a whole day on one soon cramps you up hunching over the leavers. Good strong digging power though and the U10 in particular I find very stable as the tracks seem to expand that bit more.

If it were my own machine, I'd get servos, having operated a Bobcat E10 I can honestly say it surprised me with how good it was. No overhang, long reach, decent sized buckets too. I didn't find it hard to get on and off either, the console swings right back?

Tracked dumper wise I own a JCB HTD5 and its a great machine in every respect EXCEPT for tracking. No issues going forward in either gear loaded right up but turning is dreadful. Easily sorted by putting ply down on a sharp corner as it turns fine on hard standing or ply but not great in dirt or long grass.
Money no object I'd have a Cormidi but with a diesel engine. The petrols are powerful enough but very thirsty. No issues with tracking, nice and fast, skips a bit smaller than the JCB - maybe a wheelbarrow less but its so much quicker to track.... Nearly a third more expensive though hence I can live with my JCB no worries.