The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#11   IP: 95.147.208.22
Old 27-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Elect of Fifteen

Default Re: The operator in the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
Why it looks from my point of view like there is no shortage is every time I go to a job the builder's son is always on the digger. There seems to be a queue of kids lined up to go on the machines almost everywhere I go.

Whether they drive them well or not, or have a ticket of whatever colour is another subject, or is it?
Seem the same in every industry, Plenty of interest, But the cost/Hassle of Getting a Ticket/ driving licence, etc puts them off.
There was a lad years ago doing the rounds,working as a relief, had every ticket under the sun. He couldn't drive a Wagon to save his life, much the same when operating plant apparently .
  #12   IP: 92.12.153.52
Old 27-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
Why it looks from my point of view like there is no shortage is every time I go to a job the builder's son is always on the digger. There seems to be a queue of kids lined up to go on the machines almost everywhere I go.

Whether they drive them well or not, or have a ticket of whatever colour is another subject, or is it?
A que of lads ..... but who is there to give them training. Non trained young lads on construction sites are accidents just waiting to happen.
If you are going to learn, just jumping the digger has to be accompanied by an experienced operator, not necessarily with a card but an operator that knows the right and safe way to work. Sadly many builders do not know correct safety procedures and methods of work.

Last edited by Traxcavator.; 27-09-2014 at 02:43 PM.
  #13   IP: 31.50.192.122
Old 27-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebackblade View Post
Operator shortage is 100% happening, I've had 2 calls this week to go and work for others.

Duck at 18hr and the nights at 25.

20 tonner at 15hr.

When was the last time you worked with a young operator or heard someone say this Industry had a great structured route into employment that didn't look like a job creating cartel that probably wouldn't know one end of a machine from another?

Get a scheme going that lets lads be trained on site under trained operators supervision, instead of a huge wad of cash for a blue card that basically guarantees nobody wants you!

Eddie.
Bloody hell Eddie - that sounds like good money!
what level of qualifications are they looking for though, other than an obvious ability to operate said kit?

Try finding a young fabricator!!!!!
They just don't want to get dirty these days, let alone work for a living, in most cases (with the odd exception).

Have said before that all those that came looking, who'd been 'on a course'/gotten trained, didn't know one end of a MIG from the other, let alone how to turn it on, or set it up!!!!!! As for 'how to assemble a job' or read a drawing!! - total loss.
Most'd have made good cribbing!!!!
  #14   IP: 78.145.100.137
Old 27-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

It looks like you can get similar money driving machinery whether you have a ticket and formal training or not. You just cant drive on the big sites if you haven't got the paperwork. Although its said here that rates are rising the incentive may not have filtered through yet. Half of the trouble is getting yourself there. Running a car seemed to be much more affordable when I was in that type of employment, although work can supply the transport.
  #15   IP: 78.145.100.137
Old 27-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
A que of lads ..... but who is there to give them training. Non trained young lads on construction sites are accidents just waiting to happen.
If you are going to learn, just jumping the digger has to be accompanied by an experianed operator, not necessarily with a card but an operator that knows the right and safe way to work. Sadly many builders do not know correct safety procedures and methods of work.
I agree Tim it happens in a haphazard way in a lot of family building businesses. And having someone available who knows what he is doing is like gold dust.

Last edited by Mintsauce; 27-09-2014 at 10:26 AM.
  #16   IP: 78.145.100.137
Old 27-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I think this conversation is likely to boil down to the good old subject of apprenticeships again. You just cant get away from that IMHO
  #17   IP: 2.29.5.189
Old 27-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I think I must be showing my age, but where ever I go I'm usually one of the youngest there at 49. You just don't seem to see teens, or twenty somethings out getting dirty. I don't know what they do for a living, but no-one seems willing to start at the bottom and be trained up.
I understand the card problem, but when you have people like Tim wanting to train people and two million unemployed you would have thought he would have a permanent queue of people desperate to work.
Graham
  #18   IP: 86.182.177.20
Old 27-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

just look at uk plant ops on Facebook

biggest bunch of over reacting whinging lead swingers going f*ck knows how we still have an industry

im 32 and im gonna start looking for a good young lad to join our team someone whos had a bit of farm experience etc but finding someone like that is hard as most either are on a farm so stay or part of family business like i was.

ive got a 24 yr old lad whos got potential but hes going down the joinery route rather than machines, means only me and 61yr old foreman out of 6 guys drive the machines which is hard at times,
  #19   IP: 2.29.5.189
Old 27-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

In a similar vein, Mercedes are experimenting with self driving trucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFc0rBoFY8
Certainly looks cool and will save a lot of driver error.
Graham
  #20   IP: 2.29.5.189
Old 27-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Back on the original topic i would have thought we will see a lot of this sort of automation in the future. Once there are enough people producing it the cost per machine will come down and there will be good cost saving on site - no setting out, no grade men, no over digging and faster cycle times on grade.
I have been looking at a similar retro fit system, http://www.excavatingsolutions.com/.
Would like to have a go on one to see if it is as good as they make out. Would save me a lot of time grading slopes accurately and as the saying goes, time is money.
Graham

Tags
excavator, komatsu, operators