The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Photos

#1951   IP: 81.148.40.41
Old 06-02-2016, 07:42 AM
Intimate Secretary

Default Re: Caterpillar Dozers and Scrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri963 View Post
Carl, is that a Cat ripper? I've not seen a Cat with the push plate at the back. Looks a big lump on the back without a blade to balance it.
I dont know what make of ripper it is its a mahhosive single thats near enough for me, blade will always be on the old girl so it should be balanced out well.
  #1952   IP: 81.148.40.41
Old 06-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveaki View Post
Carl both nice look machines, on the 6R with C9 engine if u take my advice get a cat oil sample done on the engine oil, the heui pumps are a problem on them and it's way cheaper to replace the pump before it wipes out a full set of injectors. I am speaking from experience as we have had a fair few late 6Rs and Ts and we run Cat DEO 15W 40 with genuine filters on 250hr oil drops, we have lost 4 pumps and injectors at a cost of 6k each time. The SOS shows up when the HEUI bearings are gonna give up. C9s are not the best of engines imho

I forgot to say I havnt had so much luck with finnings diagnosing things, I remember dad calling them out to a series 1 d6r years ago due to a slight clonking noise in the trans, metal traces were found trans and torque were removed and there was absolutely nothing wrong with them, all reffited the noise and odd dash light flash still remains to this day approx 10 years later and it still works just fine!

Have got a series 1 heading into the yard Monday that is either down on power or torque is giving up, from what ive been told from the op I think it might be engine related maybe down on boost
  #1953   IP: 86.175.213.157
Old 06-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Incredible knowledge again freely shared across the forum, fair play to all of you.

Congratulations on the new additions Carl hope you were not planning any holidays this year, with the number of tractors you have now your going to be more than busy

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #1954   IP: 81.148.40.41
Old 06-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
Incredible knowledge again freely shared across the forum, fair play to all of you.

Congratulations on the new additions Carl hope you were not planning any holidays this year, with the number of tractors you have now your going to be more than busy

Bring it on I say dad said not long ago ive deffo got the hunger in my eyes lol

I also want more machines than we need so if we have a serious failure I can just swap it straight over. Client is happy due to minimul downtime and I get time to diagnose the fault which 9 out of 10 times isnt as bad as initially thought and is relatively cheap to fix, ive just sent out a 2004 d6n to cover an almost new 963 that has blown up! Everything breaks new and old and really new equipment is so complex they are always going to be troublesome Imo.

Ive just remembered another misdiagnosis, was told d5h transmission pump had failed due to low pressure so bought it home kept looseing gears, did my own tests and it was final drive steering clutch seal failure dumping the pressure the pump was fine! Fault diagnosis is the most important part of my job in the workshop as so much money can be wasted chaseing ghosts!

Last edited by CARLD6R; 06-02-2016 at 04:49 PM.
  #1955   IP: 86.175.213.157
Old 06-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLD6R View Post
....... Fault diagnosis is the most important part of my job in the workshop as so much money can be wasted chaseing ghosts!
Wise words, fair play to you.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #1956   IP: 86.146.249.57
Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Elect of Fifteen

One of the problems for the Finnings guys is the sheer numbers of models and types of all machines they have to work on. You've been wise limiting which machines you've tooled yourself up with, Carl, and you'll soon have more experience troubleshooting D6's than the majority of Finnings mechanics.
  #1957   IP: 81.148.40.41
Old 08-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri963 View Post
One of the problems for the Finnings guys is the sheer numbers of models and types of all machines they have to work on. You've been wise limiting which machines you've tooled yourself up with, Carl, and you'll soon have more experience troubleshooting D6's than the majority of Finnings mechanics.

Very true on the old d8k weve learnt alot of the niggles now that goes with them, d6hs and series 1 d6rs are bomb proof really.

The new series 3 d6r is coming along really well, blade all tightened up at the front, panels off and full wash out which in itself has fixed an earthing issue it had, major oil leak found and cured, just waiting on new trunnions to finish the blade and a new exhaust upright.

Track chains are only 40% worn so weve sourced some good second hand bottom rollers to run it out, I did have new ordered but the chain has worn abit on outside edge and I feared it might ride out on batter work, luckily sourced some good second hand, and plates have 30mm grousers so will run on abit longer

Look at those rollers closest in pic now that is 100% worn Mr finning lmao
  #1958   IP: 92.30.35.101
Old 08-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Carl something running out of line there as you say. Never had bottom rollers wear that far out. Are pins and bearings ok on equaliser ? I would also check retainer bolts on pivot shafts aren't loose. Systemone eh .....
  #1959   IP: 81.148.40.41
Old 08-02-2016, 08:44 PM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Carl something running out of line there as you say. Never had bottom rollers wear that far out. Are pins and bearings ok on equaliser ? I would also check retainer bolts on pivot shafts aren't loose. Systemone eh .....

Equaliser bearings shot buddy new bearings and Shafts should be here tmrw, cool new update on them with the pin bolted to the frame finally an update thats worthwile lol

The machine has done alot of roller work and I think its had alot of weight on the inside edge only of the plates which has worn the inner rail edge on a slight angle and been pushing the chain toeing out all the time and worn the outer flange off the rollers and rounded the chain, she will be good now as it sits nice in the rollers I got and theyve got some meat left on them not down to the shell like the others lol

Pivot shafts are mint just done one on a d6h, and yes system 1 is wank Imo lol
  #1960   IP: 81.148.40.41
Old 08-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Intimate Secretary

Heres the last pivot shaft failure we had

Still a good old girl, had new diesel pump housing, pivot shaft bearings and some welding, theres no way these new d6s will manage the hours of these old girls imo