The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#6751   IP: 86.155.171.81
Old 13-07-2018, 01:13 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Druid’s New Duck – ’99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

got bloody rained on last night .... dawn chorus woke me up, as usual at five to four .... with the windows wide open ATM, they're hard to miss and the rain started just after. Had stopped by eight, but left anything brown and dusty decidedly sticky under foot - or wheel !! So that knackered the morning!!

so P38 in the air and sort the pad issues as I wanted/was in need of some 'cherry'.
Got her sorted ..... and took some pix for Stu then went off for some fuel.

by the time I'd gotten back, filled the 'Drema and Thwaites up, off loaded the drum onto the floor and topped up the old girl with Plantohyd, things were looking a lot dryer, but the day was knackered.

while i had her running, I thought I'd give the Meba a lift onto the bench ...

needed to sort a wiring issue ..... looks to have had, (I'm guessing), a key switch robbed off it!!

and it was going to be a bloody sight easier to do up there, than grovelling on the floor ...... it was too ..... job sorted this evening after tea.

Just got to get a chassis plug attached and wired into it and can give her a try.
could also do with a few more hours spent on the cleaning front .... God knows what's all over it !!

Me muck shift/dig is progressing well .... pix tomorrow .... I'm in need of some zeds!!!
  #6752   IP: 86.155.171.81
Old 14-07-2018, 11:48 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

as said above .... leccy spaghetti all back as it should be

and chassis plug fitted.

these were originally fitted with a simple push button on/off .. when the saw finished a cut and dropped to its rest a set-able button 'push' pressed the stop button.....

someone's obviously had issues with the original set up and has replced the original switch gear with a proximity sensor for the 'stop at rest'/cut finished, auto shut off ..... very fancy and highly complex in the 'box of tricks' dept. ... took a bit of sussing

My mate Serge, the genny man, came around for a few hours this morning with some distilled water for me, to change out the coolant in the genny. Having sorted that, we ran her up to temp. to check for leaks, etc.!!

Whilst she was running seemed like a good opportunity to give the saw a try .... runs sweet as a nut ... and in the right direction - first time ... which is unusual for 3 ph ..... sod's law usually dictates the need for a wire swap.

Also ran up the belt grinder which runs as you'd expect ..... other than backwards, initially ...... quick swap in extension for now, but will return that to std and alter the phases in the grinder's control box, when I've time ... keep it all on a std pattern.
  #6753   IP: 86.155.171.81
Old 14-07-2018, 11:55 PM

as I've already said ... me digging's been progressing ...

and been finding plenty more rocks .... in all shapes and sizes....

including one large boulder, which has obviously come out of the boulder field at some point in the past ...... then buried up in that bank !!!! a good 12 ft above the boulder field level .....

t'were a bit of a lump .....

..... on the forks !!

but makes a good fork rest .....

#6754   IP: 86.155.171.81
Old 15-07-2018, 12:26 AM

have been ripping out some of the rock bed, Thursday afternoon and yesterday morning ....

the bigger lumps have been taking free fall lessons ..... and coming apart nicely

as you can see from the first pic .... we've had a few 'showers' the last few days ..... 'kin monsoon type showers ... short and sharp !!

Just before one of said 'showers' yesterday lunchtime I was ripping into it when I suddenly thought .... "I can smell plantohyd!" .... usually means one thing .... if haven't already seen it .... oil escaping somewhere to atmosphere !!!
jumped out .... looked under her ... sod all .... walked around her to see a small fountain down in the turntable region ... back in and off PDQ !!

I could smell it and sure as hell see it, but was f***ed if I could see exactly where it was originating from ..... looked for ages .... but no obvious signs, so had to run her up again and try to spot it .....

OK nailed to approx. region it was spraying from, but COULD NOT see exactly WTF it was spirting from ..... had to be a pipe from the two engine mounted pumps for the servos and the brakes/steering as it was continuous.

delved through 3 layers of pipes, looking, but again now't obvious ...... finally having tied up two layers to get a look at the third 'layer' I still had to run her up another twice to isolate the culprit ...... What a b****rd place to go ..!!!!

Brake / steering pump pressure line to the pedal and orbital ..... under the sump, through the off side, side frame, across the turntable with 5 others, into a rat's nest of servo pipes, etc., exiting through the nearside, side frame, under the cab, then full length to the front of the cab floor and the brake pedal .... f**k!!!!

remember my 'note to self' ... not so long back .... well she'd chosen to play silly buggers, cross chassis!!!!

good job I'm relatively slim and slender, 'cos I've had to squeeze into some pretty tight gaps/spaces, to get at the lil' sod.

reckon this must be one of those 'first fit' pipes when they build 'em .... unreal location for the union .... "HTF am I going to get a spanner in there" after finally tracing the route of the exact pipe ?????

lying there, staring at this in disbelief and noticed the head light next to it .. aha!!!!!

light out and there it was .... still pretty tight but suddenly a whole lot more accessible and visible .....

eventually got this 12' pipe off about 6.15 last night .... ready for a trip to Raglan this morning!!!

Last edited by V8Druid; 15-07-2018 at 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling errors/typos
  #6755   IP: 86.155.171.81
Old 15-07-2018, 12:43 AM

spent the rest of the evening after tea .... cleaning the turntable out of all the accumulated crap ....

hoovers are wonderful weapons for nigh on inaccessible shite

and no that's not Pam's best hoover .... tha's my 'dirty' one usually reserved for boiler servicing ..... it did well last night coping with God knows what, altogether!!!

In Raglan ready for opening at 9.00 this morning .... hose made, two drums of hyd. for Alex, while I was there, in't car and back by ten, in time for Serge's arrival at 10.30.

as said Genny partially serviced, Pam and Serge's other half went off for a walk, whilst we sorted that and set the world to rights .... followed by a leisurely lunch in the sun and joined, just in the nick of time, for a share, by Alex, who'd called by to collect his oil !

Serge and Jane had to shoot off after lunch ... 'bout three and I set to getting the pipe back into spot on't 'Drema, assisted by Mr Playle, feeding it in, as I threaded it into some very silly/tight/bloody stupid locations

my right arm has paid the price!!!!! Some bloody sharp bits under there !!!

got bruises everywhere and some very sore ribs, from hanging off the bonnet, delving into the turntable, getting the buggered one out and new one back in.
Arms could've done with being 6" longer!!

would've been a hell of a lot slower going back in without Alex's assistance today!!

Last edited by V8Druid; 15-07-2018 at 01:08 AM. Reason: typos
  #6756   IP: 86.155.171.81
Old 15-07-2018, 12:56 AM

A rarely spotted Alex ...... persuading one end through the side frame, whilst I routed it across the turntable, under several layers of plumbing ....

anyway ...... back on, oil tight and running by five, all reassembled and ready to rock ... or attack rock at least!!

so after Alex'd departed, it had to have an hour ....

it's coming ....... be coming again tomorrow too ..... if it wasn't 'bloody Sunday'

Clara and Co. are back into Heathrow tonight about 1.00 a.m. ..... those two weeks went quick!! ..... so expecting a visitation in the morning ......... hopefully not too early!!

So I expect a fair chunk of the day'll be taken up grand-dad-ing tomorrow!!
  #6757   IP: 86.155.171.81
Old 15-07-2018, 01:01 AM

managed to fill pallet no 4 in the week .... a 1200 x 1200 one this time .. run out of 1200 x 1000s .....

and bloody heavy it was too !!

started on no. 5 this afters .... and probably gonna need a few more yet
  #6758   IP: 78.149.6.74
Old 15-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
bit of a rant

Been having squealy/sticky rear brake issues on the P38 last few times it's been out, so had the wheels off it sunday for a shufty, expecting to find stuck sliders or enough crap/rust build up around the calipers to be causing a sticking issue.

All free ... plenty of crap but not stuck and pistons returning fine

Pulled the calipers off and .......... the Mintex pads have de-laminated friction and backing are no longer working in perfect harmony

fitted Aug. 2014 and done little mileage ... pads at circa 70% and I am not hard on the pedal. I don't do a great deal of miles these days.

If the backs are in this state the fronts are getting changed too!!!!!

anyway, aside from the issue of their demise, what really pissed me off today was the cost of their replacements.

In '14 both axles were 21 quid to sort, so WTF, if our inflation rate has been 3-5% annually, over the last 4 years, did it cost me 62 quid for two sets of Mintex pads today, FFS????

And while I'm on a roll ...... WTF has butter gone from 80p to £1-80 in the same space of time??????
not quite the trebling of the pads, but FFS ..... well over doubled.

3-5% A.I.R. ..... pull the other one!!
Mintex pads on the John craddock website look to be £15 per axle for the P38 era range rover. I think it's always a good idea to support your local guy though, if that's where you got them? After sales service etc.

I got really noisy back brakes on the defender. there's some rubbish quality on the market right now so I think you are very justified in questioning the value for money.

You got those pallets stacked very neatly. As the stonelayer is not turning up this might be the perfect time to get yourself a trowel
  #6759   IP: 86.143.186.140
Old 15-07-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
Mintex pads on the John craddock website look to be £15 per axle for the P38 era range rover. I think it's always a good idea to support your local guy though, if that's where you got them? After sales service etc.

I got really noisy back brakes on the defender. there's some rubbish quality on the market right now so I think you are very justified in questioning the value for money.

You got those pallets stacked very neatly. As the stonelayer is not turning up this might be the perfect time to get yourself a trowel
yeh they are local guys Minty and patronised them since they opened, as said earlier ..... was expecting 30-35 quid max, so when I got home and looked at the paperwork (not having taken me glasses with me) I was well pissed off, hence the rant and subsequent conversations with them.

TBH, local or not I will look carefully about whether continued support will be forthcoming or not ... I do not appreciate being ripped off or having the piss taken
making a living is one thing .... outright profiteering is another

LOL --- I got plenty of trowels Mint .... time is my enemy, that and the fact that an engineer trying to get his head around laying random lumps, any old how, does not come easily, or naturally.

I tried my hand at a bit a while back , when Pam decided she wanted it looking 'dry stone wall' effect / real tight joints and was soooooo sloooooooow doing it ... now she's changed her mind and wants bigger mortar courses/joints, it might be easier, but as said ..... only so many hours in a day and so many dry hours in a week

Combine that with the fact that the guy I had lined up is good, quick, a very good rate, does lovely work, etc. and I am reluctant.......pity the bugger is also in demand and currently invisible
  #6760   IP: 78.149.6.74
Old 15-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I see. Yes cheap trades who work fast, turn out quality work and easily available.

Hmm I see a gap in the market