The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Photos

#121   IP: 109.154.44.127
Old 17-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Knight of the East and West

Default Re: Plant, Projects, Fixes and Fiascos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
James my most important point, I think you have missed. You must ensure the gate opens before the load shifts in any great amount or the cab will tip over on it's side ! especially if you are relying on the operator to open the tailgate separately before tipping. Our tail gates on our silt trucks are free swinging, the air ram clamps it shut, no chains no cables.
I didn't miss your point Tim, I did edit my post, I agree with you. It must be automatic and open first. But as I said, our material would spill over the back I think, but I don't intend trying it. It's working ok at the moment but needs improvement, which I intend to do, to avoid the scenario you describe.

Making the tailgate swinging would have been an option, but I really need the tailgate to be as high as possible to clear tipped heaps, so modding the one I had seemed a better idea.
  #122   IP: 86.169.129.121
Old 17-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhands View Post
That slogan always makes me chuckle, and as they were only made up the road I always wanted a Colchester lathe.

Yes get only one tool on the post at a time, but change it in seconds, and there's no other tools round the post while working. Im happy with it, but I'm no expert.

Can't remember the make of the chuck, you may well be right, it could be a Pratt? It may be fixable, may be an option? It operated perfectly, ie it moved ok, it just wouldn't hold anything dead centre, if you had something in the chuck , turned it, removed it and tried putting it back in, it was virtually impossible to get it to run true again. It may have been the amateur using it, but I've not had any trouble with the new chuck
I would like to repair it if it were economical, I have made a bit of a boob and put a 325mm chuck on it, the original was 250, to get a decent size bore and make best use of it, in my excitement I didn't consider the minimum holding size and now have a chuck that won't hold anything under 12mm , I rarely need to hold anything that small, but annoying that I can't if I wanted to, so will either have to add another new smaller chuck to the arsenal or as you suggest, get mine refurbed?
I used to stick a small chuck in the main chuck, for anything fiddly James .. much quicker than changing main chucks
  #123   IP: 109.154.44.127
Old 17-02-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
I used to stick a small chuck in the main chuck, for anything fiddly James .. much quicker than changing main chucks
Yes I have thought of that, will have to source a little chuck, small enough to go in the biggun , changing that 325mm is bloody heavy work! Not something you'd want to do too many times a day
  #124   IP: 86.169.129.121
Old 17-02-2016, 10:35 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Yes I have thought of that, will have to source a little chuck, small enough to go in the biggun , changing that 325mm is bloody heavy work! Not something you'd want to do too many times a day
And definitely not with out a good soft board on the bed, under the bugger!!

The 18" on me old type 17 - DS&G, was a right handful ...... straddle the bed and grunt!!
  #125   IP: 109.154.44.127
Old 17-02-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post

The 18" on me old type 17 - DS&G, was a right handful ...... straddle the bed and grunt!!
Sounds like that bugger wanted a gantry above it help lift big bits into it as well
  #126   IP: 78.149.142.255
Old 17-02-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I didn't miss your point Tim, I did edit my post, I agree with you. It must be automatic and open first. But as I said, our material would spill over the back I think, but I don't intend trying it. It's working ok at the moment but needs improvement, which I intend to do, to avoid the scenario you describe.

Making the tailgate swinging would have been an option, but I really need the tailgate to be as high as possible to clear tipped heaps, so modding the one I had seemed a better idea.
Ok mate thats good. Seen them go over and heard stories too. Our trucks basically have a 500mm high lid on them so they would have to be tipped quite high before any spilled out of the loading slot, by that time it would be too late.
  #127   IP: 109.154.44.127
Old 17-02-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Ok mate thats good. Seen them go over and heard stories too. Our trucks basically have a 500mm high lid on them so they would have to be tipped quite high before any spilled out of the loading slot, by that time it would be too late.
I understand Tim , your spot on with your advice as always and know the dangers better than most and I always respect your opinion

I've heard the stories and seen the pictures, never seen it happen personally, and I don't want to!

Tipping with tailgates can be dangerous with the wrong material, thankfully this lime is slippery old stuff most of the time, and is nearly all out of the body well before its fully tipped.

Hopefully tomorrow's mod will ensure the tailgate is always 100% up and out of the way
  #128   IP: 78.149.142.255
Old 17-02-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I understand Tim , your spot on with your advice as always and know the dangers better than most and I always respect your opinion

I've heard the stories and seen the pictures, never seen it happen personally, and I don't want to!

Tipping with tailgates can be dangerous with the wrong material, thankfully this lime is slippery old stuff most of the time, and is nearly all out of the body well before its fully tipped.

Hopefully tomorrow's mod will ensure the tailgate is always 100% up and out of the way
Well it all looks very good, I hope it works well for you.
  #129   IP: 86.159.39.6
Old 18-02-2016, 08:35 PM
Provost and Judge

Thought I would post this as its bee mentioned
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.6 KB, 39 views)
  #130   IP: 31.51.221.83
Old 18-02-2016, 09:25 PM

Got some new Check Valves plumbed in on the Volvo tailgate today, made all the difference.
Couldn't really have worked out better, with such a simple setup, it's swifter on the lift, and we'll open before the body is at any real height, and fully open much quicker than before,a job well done
Won't mess with it now, it's a good as it gets without spending money and time on special sequential valves or something else to control it. At some point a light in the cab to say the tailgate is shut would be useful, but not a massive problem, if the driver keeps an eye in his mirrors (which he should anyway) it no big deal.

A vid would have been nice, but I've no idea how to post one or a link? So I've a few shots of it through a tip cycle

Body going up and tailgate well on its way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.0 KB, 47 views)