The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > General Business Issues

View Poll Results: regarding new members posting adverts and websites
we need a moderator to control the forum in general 7 16.28%
we dont need moderation im happy as things are 12 27.91%
need someone with power to remove said threads instantly 7 16.28%
new members not to post links etc until 20 posts 17 39.53%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

#11   IP: 86.145.3.235
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Default Re: ce forum poll, you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
I think the instantly bit is asking a bit too much
yeh,may be so Graham....lol.
  #12   IP: 188.30.93.96
Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

I will toss in my tuppence....

If we where to get a "proper" moderator I think it would have to be someone completely independent of the forum to satisfy everyone and likewise it's going to raise sore nerves if there was one who started nannying the existing members... You would have difficulty as everyone has there own opinion on how the forum should be and opinions as far as I can tell are the most sacred and important thing on this site as without them it's pretty damn Dull.....

And to get a Independent moderator just to sort the crap would almost certainly require paying them.... as you need someone who has no interest so as not to take sides and cause issues.

A lesson a certain Ex Caterpillar fitter who was nice enough to give the local machinery club a talk and is no doubt known to a few of you (From Exeter way, did marine engines in the end and now works for Doosan I believe) was that giving people a bollocking in front of everyone is not and will not work as people react and will flare up or feel belittled and ultimately it will cause more people to take sides.

And In that I have the opinion that any issues people have with other members should perhaps take place in private? Airing ones dirty laundry to others or in public only causes problems and arguments. Ultimately rumours gossip and speculation do not help. Admittedly in the heat of the moment everyone is tempted to bite and it's only human. But often its best to let the situation cool and then say your piece respectfully.... I have in the past typed 4 or 5 paragraphs of a rant and then read through and deleted it all as it's just not worth it, typing something then going to have a cuppa and then re reading it often is enlightening.

The biggest issue is defining who is taking the piss and who is actually going to contribute.... The Likes Of H.E services for example IMHO have been out to take more than give, I stand to be corrected mind you. However there are many who contribute far more than take. and the likes of Strott, Regy etc. whom do not appear every day give a hell of a lot back.

This forum has a strong loyalty and with it comes a strong defence from the more seasoned members to protect it.... It's both a blessing and a curse but ultimately I think the site is far better off having Loyal and protective (even if there sometimes over protective) members than a vast array of requests, adverts and questions, but few to answer them.

So yes summing up the massive and probably repetitive post. I think that the Loyalty and Over/protective nature of members is a wonderful thing to have and will ultimately keep the forum surviving, we keep adding to a collection of great people with the likes of V8Druid and to be honest I don't think it's a bad thing if we scare away those whom are out to take...

Lastly... It's a genuine balance and if you want to sell something go to ebay or pay for a add... if you want to be a ambassador for your product and be prepared to answer questions and solve issues then please join up and sell away... Just ensure you involve yourself and take the rough with the smooth. - that is my View anyway.

This post will probably just confuse matters further but Hey Ho....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #13   IP: 86.145.3.235
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post

If we where to get a "proper" moderator I think it would have to be someone completely independent of the forum to satisfy everyone and likewise it's going to raise sore nerves if there was one who started nannying the existing members... You would have difficulty as everyone has there own opinion on how the forum should be and opinions as far as I can tell are the most sacred and important thing on this site as without them it's pretty damn Dull.....

And to get a Independent moderator just to sort the crap would almost certainly require paying them.... as you need someone who has no interest so as not to take sides and cause issues.

A lesson a certain Ex Caterpillar fitter who was nice enough to give the local machinery club a talk and is no doubt known to a few of you (From Exeter way, did marine engines in the end and now works for Doosan I believe) was that giving people a bollocking in front of everyone is not and will not work as people react and will flare up or feel belittled and ultimately it will cause more people to take sides.

And In that I have the opinion that any issues people have with other members should perhaps take place in private? Airing ones dirty laundry to others or in public only causes problems and arguments. Ultimately rumours gossip and speculation do not help. Admittedly in the heat of the moment everyone is tempted to bite and it's only human. But often its best to let the situation cool and then say your piece respectfully.... I have in the past typed 4 or 5 paragraphs of a rant and then read through and deleted it all as it's just not worth it, typing something then going to have a cuppa and then re reading it often is enlightening.

The biggest issue is defining who is taking the piss and who is actually going to contribute.... The Likes Of H.E services for example IMHO have been out to take more than give, I stand to be corrected mind you. However there are many who contribute far more than take. and the likes of Strott, Regy etc. whom do not appear every day give a hell of a lot back.

This forum has a strong loyalty and with it comes a strong defence from the more seasoned members to protect it.... It's both a blessing and a curse but ultimately I think the site is far better off having Loyal and protective (even if there sometimes over protective) members than a vast array of requests, adverts and questions, but few to answer them.

So yes summing up the massive and probably repetitive post. I think that the Loyalty and Over/protective nature of members is a wonderful thing to have and will ultimately keep the forum surviving, we keep adding to a collection of great people with the likes of V8Druid and to be honest I don't think it's a bad thing if we scare away those whom are out to take...

Lastly... It's a genuine balance and if you want to sell something go to ebay or pay for a add... if you want to be a ambassador for your product and be prepared to answer questions and solve issues then please join up and sell away... Just ensure you involve yourself and take the rough with the smooth. - that is my View anyway.

I shed a tear....standing ovation Rory
  #14   IP: 2.103.118.127
Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post

How long did that take to type especially if you stopped for a cup of tea

Paul.

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #15   IP: 82.23.80.232
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Perfect Master

A couple of forums I used to frequent, had a stage during the sign up process, that each new member was required to post in an introduction thread before they got access to the forum proper.
  #16   IP: 188.30.93.96
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
How long did that take to type especially if you stopped for a cup of tea

Paul.
Probably just under a half hour, a paragraph got dismantled and rearranged a few times. The Tea is a necessity...... But well worth the time spent to get my view out of my head. As I have said before this forum has made a huge impact on my life and I think it'd be a vast shame if it turned into just another forum. the people and dare say it the bitching make this one special... it's kind of like a big group of friends and friends friends.. some people you like others you dislike but ultimately everyone is civil 98% of the time

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #17   IP: 176.25.74.129
Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Knight of the East

spot on rory you wise old bugger. of course you owe the forum your current job right? its been good for you and everyone else who gets involved, plus we all now have great contacts all over the uk as a result

#18   IP: 176.25.74.129
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Knight of the East

bahh no power to change poll now but a 'who cares let them post links' option is needed

#19   IP: 109.151.58.33
Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by komatsu View Post

if we do think someone is taking advantage,maybe just post a reply back saying 'reported'?? their for making us all aware that this could be a spammer,and its been reported.that way we are all looking out for each other??
good idea ,then if you see reported has been posted you know it is being dealt with and there will be no need for julian to trawl through lots of reports for the same thing
  #20   IP: 92.12.147.93
Old 03-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

I've lost count of how many posts i have clicked the report button on and typed
"Post reported" on the actual post. Did it yesterday afternoon in fact. Fair play to Julian he gets it sorted pretty quickly and more often than not pm's me and we have a bit of a chat as has happened recently.
I have been a little over the top at times when replying to some spam and other obvious P Takers but the worst comes when other members then chastise me for my actions, well not just me is it.
We seem to be going round full circle now, nothing wrong with that because thats what a forum is for.
With regard to the question of new posters actually having a genuine interesting product that may be removed from the board. They can always try again with the right approach. It is very rare for myself to get abusive and rude to P takers in the first instance so i won't take the blame for what happens afterwards. I'll copy some ideas i put forward a day or two ago.

Last edited by Traxcavator.; 03-08-2013 at 09:02 AM.