The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Useful Technical Info and Reference Documents

#21   IP: 92.40.248.96
Old 10-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Default Re: Hand tools

Good old Sealey tools for me, most of them I've had 15/20 years and still going great.
I can't see the fascination with Snap-on, I did buy a second hand trolley jack a few years back and that's lasted well ( blue point ), that was off the Snap-on van.
I do try to get quite a bit second hand off of people that have retired or at auction.

As for power tools, I'm afraid I don't think you can beat DeWalt for a lot of stuff, ( and yes it is ' Black and Decker'/Elu ).That and Bosch.
I never got on with Makita stuff from day one, with the old drills with the same batteries as the old radio controlled cars,
I have the grey Elu back then, found them much nicer to use and far more balanced.

If you can get hold of one the long Elu electric planers where the DOGS BALLS, was like an electric jack plane.
  #22   IP: 81.174.242.105
Old 16-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Provost and Judge

With sockets there seem to be two different things to consider, do they break, do they fit. I have used Halfords Professional and never bust one yet, but then the set had 19mm socket with a 3/8" drive. Had to get to 24mm to get 1/2" drive. Possibly it doesn't break because you twist the driver bar into a spiral. Similarly the wall thickness is just too much to get it into tight places. Gets used if nothing else is around or can't find them.

What has surprised me is the quality now of cheap socket sets, Pro-drive. With the digger etc they do get a pasting, but the only socket I have broken was at an angle trying to undo some wheel nuts. The problem I have with repairs in the mud is loosing the tools, you never find a socket if you drop it. And paying Snap-on prices is silly, cheap stuff doesn't round the corners.

I can wear out a pair of 8" side cutters in a year taking stuff to pieces, not diggers, electronics. Always used to get Knipex at 30 each but got some Stanley and Irwin (from Machine Mart) for about 10, easily as good.

Bought some Stanley screwdrivers with interchangeable bits, one double ended PH1 and 2, one double ended 3/16 and 1/4 flat. What is so useful is that each bit is a different size, 1/4" and 5/16" hex, so you have a couple of hex drivers as well. These are brilliant screwdrivers, not busted either the handle or the bits, cost about 3 each, but now can't find them. Have the usual yellow and black handle. Keep your eye open and buy 2 or 3.
  #23   IP: 109.151.43.5
Old 16-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Elect of Fifteen

i've got tools made by just about every manufacturer you can name, picked up at shows, car-boots, second-hand, inherited, etc. The only stuff I buy new now is either Kennedy or Halfords, apart from the odd special like a Britool 1/2" knuckle ratchet which is pretty good.

Years ago I bought three 13mm Snap On combi wrenches, on the same bolt, one was dead fit, one wouldn't go on at all, one was so loose it took the corners straight off. I've also got a Mac 15mm that is barely 9/16" across flats. All manufacturers let crap out off the doors from time to time. Kennedy Pro is pretty consistent, and not so expensive that you lose sleep if some young Magneto walks past and your tools end up stuck to his fingers.
  #24   IP: 86.159.171.118
Old 16-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Intendant of the Building

I would alway buy Gedore 1b combi spanners, bacho shifters, stabile levels, moore&wright for engineering tools, Stanley Teflon tape measure and Bristol socket sets. Nowadays I find myself getting beta tools as there is a handy outlet for them nearby with competitive prices. And their pneumatic impat guns are awesome , we have 1/2" 3/4" and 1" versions and a pleased with their performance.
  #25   IP: 149.254.184.125
Old 17-10-2016, 05:02 AM
Grand Master Architect

Funny thing about my tools at work,everyone who uses them,knows where they 'were',on a trailer,wall, etc,but not where they are 'now'first week end off in ages n I come back to stilsons,with 45 degree head to handle wtf!
  #26   IP: 86.7.227.236
Old 25-10-2016, 11:04 PM

Just picked up a brushless dewalt 1/2" impact wrench fantastic bit of kit unfastened a 54mm 450nm flywheel nut well under 2 seconds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #27   IP: 81.178.214.226
Old 26-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by MchaleBuildingServices View Post
Just picked up a brushless dewalt 1/2" impact wrench fantastic bit of kit unfastened a 54mm 450nm flywheel nut well under 2 seconds
I got one a few months back use it all the time don't even get the ratchet out anymore have to be careful not to strip threads mine is 950nm I also got a 5" cordless grinder brilliant tool too

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #28   IP: 85.255.233.80
Old 26-10-2016, 06:44 PM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
I got one a few months back use it all the time don't even get the ratchet out anymore have to be careful not to strip threads mine is 950nm I also got a 5" cordless grinder brilliant tool too
The 1/2 or 3/8 compact wrenches are brilliant aswell nice and light my makita is 300nm so good for steel erecting or machinery maintenance
  #29   IP: 86.7.227.236
Old 26-10-2016, 08:15 PM

I got the dcf899 with 950nm has a break away torque if 1625nm!! kind of just want to go down a breakers with a few sockets and see if there is anything it won't undo, these cordless ones seem to have more power than most air/mains powered versions.

Bought one if them titan breakers after hearing nothing but good reviews it didn't last more than 3 hours before it blew itself up and tripped the house fuse. Looks like its back to the crappy milwaukee at least it works not very well but its reliable and also has some small suppression from the vibrations

Before bought the breaker hired a big Bosch electric one was not impressed it was terrible not sure if it was just a bad neglected breaker though as sure last time I had one on hire it was way better

#30   IP: 2.25.37.130
Old 26-10-2016, 11:31 PM
Grand Master Architect

The snap ring on my makita impact wrench is a piece of shit. It never holds sockets. No o ring under it either. A new one lasted a few weeks before wearing out. You can open it up but it soon contracts again.