The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > General Business Issues

#1   IP: 81.129.238.236
Old 28-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Intendant of the Building

Default Payment for sitting on butt?

What's the normal for when you start your job at work premises, travel to site to carry out your days work and when traveling back to work premises to end your shift and go home there is travel disruptions due to a road accident and there is a 3 hr delay in getting back to finish your shift. Do you expect to be payed for the 3 hr sitting in traffic or do you accept this to be out with the control of the employer and not pursue compensation for the disruption? Just wandering as this happened to me recently.
  #2   IP: 81.148.229.196
Old 29-04-2017, 01:00 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Payment for sitting on butt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattromike View Post
What's the normal for when you start your job at work premises, travel to site to carry out your days work and when traveling back to work premises to end your shift and go home there is travel disruptions due to a road accident and there is a 3 hr delay in getting back to finish your shift. Do you expect to be payed for the 3 hr sitting in traffic or do you accept this to be out with the control of the employer and not pursue compensation for the disruption? Just wandering as this happened to me recently.
travel time is normal conditions Mike ...... they can't be held responsible for that sort of traffic delay .... I'd just swallow it and don't even consider upsetting the apple cart

I assume you are self employed and talking about approaching the customer??

If you're employed, then your boss would have to be wearing it and paying you 'til you got back ...... such is life!!
  #3   IP: 86.153.152.0
Old 29-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Grand Master Architect

You should get paid,end of.if someone kicks of let em.been on a job this week and told chap originally the hourly rate minimum of 8 hours.last day i only done 6 hours but billed 8.im expecting him to complain too.just more hassle
Nick...
  #4   IP: 87.112.240.70
Old 29-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Depends what was agreed when you took the job on, but if you start and finish from their premises then I would expect to get paid total hours unless you agreed different.
Graham
  #5   IP: 92.135.181.146
Old 29-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Master Elect of Nine

It would never cross my mind to charge - but maybe im too soft - depends on the scenario but what comes round goes round.
  #6   IP: 86.175.208.188
Old 29-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Its a can of worms imho

Lads are expected to be in a briefing at 6:45 but pay doesn't start until 7am then travel out in works vehicles.
Travel back in firms time to clock and go home. Clock 5mins early they get docked 15mins BUT if traffic is bad and they get back 10 mins later than normal clocking out time, then change / wash whatever, they get no extra. Called swings and roundabouts apparently

BUT a few minutes extra in brew cabin on either break doesn't carry penalties so is it swings and roundabouts or is someone taking the piss.

No fence around the job, don't like it, walk.

I hasten to add it does not effect me so its not my argument but I often think its not the way I would do it.
That said if I was running the show, most of them would be up the road for taking the piss anyway. BUT respect works both ways imho.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #7   IP: 81.132.55.244
Old 29-04-2017, 05:45 PM
Intendant of the Building

Mixed opinions there I suppose, it was 4hours of extra travel time but agreed to pay for 1 and the 3 would have to be on the swings and round abouts theory
  #8   IP: 86.130.164.94
Old 29-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

if you have to return to base then yes , if you leave site for home then no

life is hard , but its harder if you're stupid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #9   IP: 86.155.108.13
Old 06-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Sublime Master Elected

I used to get signed up before leaving the job, I booked the same time it took me to get there , if I got back quicker I win, if not my loss!
Most of the time on day rate(3cx!) I'd have booked 8hrs on site plus travel - when tramping, not in the truck! Customer usually agrees to pay travel to save paying out for a new machine if it gets burnt/stolen with being left overnight !
  #10   IP: 86.175.143.210
Old 06-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Elect of Fifteen

From a fitters point of view I charge traveling time and a mileage rate also, and I charge from base to site and back for every client regardless