The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > General Business Issues

#11   IP: 82.132.221.169
Old 06-05-2017, 06:42 PM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: Payment for sitting on butt?

Am like Rob makes no odds to me But Gus has lifted another can of worms mileage plus time many say it should be one or the other how many time will fitter return to depot or go job to job but customers both get charged to and from depot
Know of a firm that visited a site 200 odd miles from depot serviced 2 machines for 2 different owners on the same day and charged them both full mileage and time both ways

Swings and roundabout or snakes and ladders

Last edited by Casedriver; 06-05-2017 at 10:20 PM.
  #12   IP: 81.129.238.66
Old 06-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Intendant of the Building

There has to be a bit of give and take from all parties, it's not the clients fault there traffic issues nor the boss for that matter but it's only the guy that has to sit there waiting for the issue to clear so he can get home.
  #13   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 07-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casedriver View Post
Am like Rob makes no odds to me But Gus has lifted another can of worms mileage plus time many say it should be one or the other how many time will fitter return to depot or go job to job but customers both get charged to and from depot
Know of a firm that visited a site 200 odd miles from depot serviced 2 machines for 2 different owners on the same day and charged them both full mileage and time both ways

Swings and roundabout or snakes and ladders
I'd call them robbin' b'stards
  #14   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 07-05-2017, 09:53 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattromike View Post
There has to be a bit of give and take from all parties, it's not the clients fault there traffic issues nor the boss for that matter but it's only the guy that has to sit there waiting for the issue to clear so he can get home.
crane hire was always ..... min 8 or 10 hrs including travel to/from site, with a travel time agreed/negotiated at point of booking.

If the driver got hung up in traffic on return journey, the client only paid the agreed travel rate .... and I paid the driver 'til he got back .... one o' them things
  #15   IP: 86.175.143.210
Old 07-05-2017, 10:04 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Either customer will be paying for mileage anyway regardless, it's the same of the next job for another customer was 10 miles away you would still charge from traveling to base. You would do the same as I would!

Your providing a service with your equipment, be it fitters van or plant, you might do 1000miles a week or 60 hours a week. Most hirers incorporated traveling time and greasing time to the machines hirer for maintenance etc, in my view charging mileage is just the same, the vehicle needs to be maintained, fuel needs to be paid as does MoT insurance etc etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #16   IP: 81.147.99.180
Old 07-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Thing is both would of been happy to pay for travel cos they would still need to travel to get their regardless, so it's a Brucey for the fitters. It will come round when they go to a job n takes longer or they get stuck in traffic.

As said swings and roundabouts.

If I get tied up in traffic or diverted I play fuk up but only with myself it's one of those things.
  #17   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 07-05-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee_gus View Post
Either customer will be paying for mileage anyway regardless, it's the same of the next job for another customer was 10 miles away you would still charge from traveling to base. You would do the same as I would!

Your providing a service with your equipment, be it fitters van or plant, you might do 1000miles a week or 60 hours a week. Most hirers incorporated traveling time and greasing time to the machines hirer for maintenance etc, in my view charging mileage is just the same, the vehicle needs to be maintained, fuel needs to be paid as does MoT insurance etc etc
TBH Gus, I'd earn meself some brownie points with both customers and let 'em share the travel costs .... they'd remember it next time they wanted summat.

There's covering costs and then there's blatant profiteering .... doubt the fitter got anything out of it either
  #18   IP: 92.232.7.46
Old 10-05-2017, 01:34 AM
Intendant of the Building

Quote:

Our local Case main dealer pulled this stunt on us (among other things) and guess what no more case, Cat and Bobcat machines now for us.

If a fitted tried that stunt nowadays I'd kick him that hard in the gonads he'd think he'd got mumps. The job hard enough without that shite.
  #19   IP: 109.148.62.97
Old 13-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

Low loader moves to and from site are chargeable.

Depending on distance it can vary from 150 - 550 but as I always went site to site with long hires I never charged more than 150 each way to each site. Most times I gained a little, sometimes I was out of pocket BUT it got noticed when I moved several hundred miles, only charged 150 when others who came much shorter distances were charging substantially more.

As Druid quite rightly points out, a bit of give and take can reap benefits.

That said, I hit the roof with Deutz and their charges when a fitter had to attend a problem I had, especially when it transpired Deutz had supplied the wrong lift pump that I was having problems with. Bloody fitter wanted to start and "adjust" the operational arm on the pump with a file ffs.
IF they had supplied the correct part in the first place, I would not have had a problem once fitted so would not have required a fitter to attend.

Had similar with Atlas when 1304M went in to have boom ram resealed.
Asked if it was possible to give it a quick jet wash once finished as it was going back on finished tarmac and didn't want any signs of oil dripping. Not a problem Rob.

Until invoice came 2 x fitters x 4hrs on Sat morning jetwashing a duck
That soon got sorted to something a bit more reasonable ffs.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #20   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 13-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
That said, I hit the roof with Deutz and their charges when a fitter had to attend a problem I had, especially when it transpired Deutz had supplied the wrong lift pump that I was having problems with. Bloody fitter wanted to start and "adjust" the operational arm on the pump with a file ffs.
IF they had supplied the correct part in the first place, I would not have had a problem once fitted so would not have required a fitter to attend.
I've asked before on here- can anyone explain why a cheap, reliable electric lift pump is not standard fitment these days??