The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Non-Industry Chat

#11   IP: 86.165.39.116
Old 25-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Knight of the East

Default Re: P.s 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robex 210 View Post
Haven't got a problem with the history and learnig about it, it's just the fact it's a game.
Learn the real history,re-create the situation then see who's having fun.
I'm not a killjoy,I just don't think it's very respectful.
What will be next.U.Boat captain ,sinking convoys and scoreing points by tonnage sunk.What about the poor souls drowned in the icey waters,with their lungs filling with oil and diesel while the sea around them burns.
somethings should just not be (in my opinion)disrespected and made fun !!!
Yes, but if the game teaches as opposed to simply entertains there is the question.

I think you'll find that 80% of those that will play this shite (You can tell my opinion of 1st person shooters) have far more respect for the past and veterans than you give credit for.

I've been on jobs where a team of 4/5 young lads have shut right down for two minutes on armistice day.... then at the end of the two minutes the horn blows sharp and away they go again.... that's not a one off either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I guess she's scared that life won't leave any traces, kind of like everyone else. But that's not the point anyway"
  #12   IP: 92.28.255.210
Old 25-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Provost and Judge

Education is correct
Respect those who where there
The reason history repeats itself is because we didn't learn from the 1st time around
Like I said I'm not a killjoy,It just seems wrong to make a game about the biggest conflict the world has ever seen!
Whats next.Flying a super fortess over citys and dropping nukes.
Maybe I'm just an old boring fart,but it just seems wrong:
  #13   IP: 94.192.4.44
Old 26-11-2017, 12:12 AM
Elect of Fifteen

at 45 yrs old i didnt have a lot of knowledge about the 1st or 2nd w w but there has been a lot of good programs on recently which have given me a lot better understanding of them ,not in to the gaming generation and dont like this kind of entertainment what i dont agree with is the help for heros campaign ,in recent times people have had a choice to sign up or not but there was no choice in 1st +2nd ww they had there lifes desrtoyed without a choice i met quite a few in my youth and realy hope it never happens again
  #14   IP: 86.163.178.247
Old 26-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Can't see why anyone would be against help for Heroes. Whether you're a volunteer or a conscript, getting shot at and blown up hurts just as much. The government knows more about post traumatic stress, etc than was known in the 1940's, but there's still sod all support for the forces when they come out injured or mentally shot. This generation of servicemen signs up knowing they're going to come up against spineless pieces of work who use every cowardly trick in the book, while the rest of us sit here and whinge about diesel going up tuppence.
  #15   IP: 86.169.5.87
Old 26-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Secret Master

So no games depicting wars?
Are you as equally outraged by war films? Massive blockbuster movies, made to make a profit before anything else.

The games don't make light of history, and if they educate in any way a generation who is now so far removed from the world wars, I don't see any harm in them.

I don't play them but to be outraged by a format of story telling just seams rediculous to me.
  #16   IP: 92.28.255.210
Old 26-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicurly View Post
So no games depicting wars?
Are you as equally outraged by war films? Massive blockbuster movies, made to make a profit before anything else.

The games don't make light of history, and if they educate in any way a generation who is now so far removed from the world wars, I don't see any harm in them.

I don't play them but to be outraged by a format of story telling just seams rediculous to me.
Not against movies at all,most depict the true nature of war,and most hold fairly close to the truth.
How many of the soldiers in "A bridge to far" got shot,just to get another go after pressin a button.Saving private Ryan is a bit fictional,but the D Day landings happenned,That was not a game.
The Dam busters is another classic,but true story.After the raid Barnes wallis was destraught at the amount of airmen who got killed on the raid.
All I'm sayingI think to make a game of ww2 is very direspectful,and there is a good chance these gamers are probably older than the guys who fought in these conflicts
Maybe i'm of a generation who have known and talked to some of the men who where out there and some still won't talk about the real horrors they saw and appreciate what they went through,but can only try to imagine it