The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 41.33.47.60
Old 05-08-2016, 09:56 PM

Default JCB 801-4 one slow ram

Hi, I have a 1988 JCB 801-4 which recently burst a hydraulic hose to the boom ram. I had 2 new hoses made up by my tractor repair shop and replaced them myself (both hoses to the same ram), topped up the hydraulic oil (it's at the right level in the sight glass) and functioned the ram to bleed the air.

Ever since then that one ram is very slow. I've looked everywhere on the system and on the Internet but it seems it should be self bleeding.

My initial thoughts are the hoses that have been supplied are restricting the flow, maybe the wrong size ID? Would that even be possible because I don't see how they could crimp the wrong size of hose onto the correct size of BSP fitting and the OD seems to be the same as the other hoses.

Everything else has plenty of power and the digger can still move and lift itself no problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be up with it or give me troubleshooting suggestions.

Thanks.
  #2   IP: 92.14.67.219
Old 05-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Knight of the East

Default Re: JCB 801-4 one slow ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowbs 30000 View Post
Hi, I have a 1988 JCB 801-4 which recently burst a hydraulic hose to the boom ram. I had 2 new hoses made up by my tractor repair shop and replaced them myself (both hoses to the same ram), topped up the hydraulic oil (it's at the right level in the sight glass) and functioned the ram to bleed the air.

Ever since then that one ram is very slow. I've looked everywhere on the system and on the Internet but it seems it should be self bleeding.

My initial thoughts are the hoses that have been supplied are restricting the flow, maybe the wrong size ID? Would that even be possible because I don't see how they could crimp the wrong size of hose onto the correct size of BSP fitting and the OD seems to be the same as the other hoses.

Everything else has plenty of power and the digger can still move and lift itself no problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be up with it or give me troubleshooting suggestions.

Thanks.
The guy who made the hoses up my have over crimped one of the fittings therefore reducing flow or if he cuts the pipe with an abrasive cutter it my have rubber crud in the pipe also reducing flow

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #3   IP: 213.205.251.205
Old 05-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Default Re: JCB 801-4 one slow ram

Check hose for fitting and hose id Check circuit from control valve to ram for debris like any pieces of hose that may have broken away internally and be blocking fittings or control valve and relief valves.

Tags
burst hose, jcb 801