The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#5921   IP: 31.52.90.7
Old 16-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Knight of the East and West

Default Re: Druid’s New Duck – ’99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Industrial will no doubt be referring to plants and places that deal with chemicals etc etc. Makes more sense when you read into that.
Perhaps, but there seems to be a significant difference between country and suburban.
  #5922   IP: 121.44.13.206
Old 16-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Provost and Judge

Somewhere in my reading of this diesel, zinc issue I read something about "red" diesel being more of an issue. I think the off road diesel in the UK is red? If so, is red diesel different in chemical makeup to highway diesel? ie is it higher in sulphur?

I think the sulphur content is the reactive component that leaches out the zinc. Given the cost of diesel injection systems I'd be wary of any zinc in solution in diesel storage tanks. Even though this one is a reasonable size, it is portable meaning movement of the tank could stir up any precipitate as will filling and won't the suction pipe be pulling diesel from the bottom precipitate area anyway?

I was quite interested in this issue because I thought zinc was a beneficial additive in oil for example. However I saw some posts in HEF about premature failure of hydraulic components in Hitachi excavators due to using hydraulic oil which contained zinc additives. See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=1395063 for example.
It would appear that zinc is a common additive in oil and is no doubt too fine to filter out. If the tank is galvanised inside I'd be considering something like Red-Kote® tank liner to give me peace of mind.

My brother has a diesel Mercedes Sprinter with a modern electronic common rail system. He's spent the last week and thousands of dollars in parts and time trying to fix a loss of power under load. Even the best diesel mechanic he could find diagnosis is throw various parts at it until the problem is fixed Still it has done 470,000km
I'm glad all my diesels have an injection pump and mechanical injectors. Diesel injection system scary stories make me nervous.

AusDave
  #5923   IP: 31.52.88.212
Old 16-12-2017, 11:15 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Dave .... red diesel is DERV with a dye in it .... that's all .... no different formulation ....
have had situations in the past where white has been delivered and a small bottle of dye dropped in by the suppliers, Shell, if they were short of red to fulfill orders.

TBH the dye itself is a 'pollutant' .....
my cranes used to have stack exhausts and on a cold day, sat on site doing light work, (stack not getting very hot), the dye used to form a sticky residue on the outside of the stack pipes...
once away up the road, it'd burn off, pretty quick, but could see it smoking as it got burnt off

The Re Nu mentioned earlier is similar to the Red Kote liner, but can be done on much larger scale, commercially. Red Kote seems to be on smaller scale for DIY fuel tanks in vehicles

Last edited by V8Druid; 16-12-2017 at 11:19 AM.
  #5924   IP: 31.52.88.212
Old 19-12-2017, 07:43 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Well it's arrived today, late morning. Been chasing Pallex earlier as the tracking hadn't changed since 06.00 on the 16th, when it said it had arrived at the depot?

Driver was lucky I was here, as the last email back from them had said probably tomorrow?? Not that it was urgent, but needed to be here to offload it and sign for it !!

came off easy as on the pallet truck and tail lift ...
saved me winding the ol' girl up,although I've been using her the rest of the day ...

as advertised ... brand spanking and smells of now't ..

lots of 'ports' on it and according to the book, that arrived with it, still in its sealed placcy bag, along with labels and a tap top, it is double skinned !!!

it's even got a dip stick port and graduated dip stick !!

#5925   IP: 31.52.88.212
Old 19-12-2017, 08:07 PM

whipped it off the pallet and stuck it out the way for the afternoon ... had some tidying up to do ......

aside from a bit of dust, there ain't a mark on it ... 'Tis the mutt's nuts of a tank!!!

As said, been putting the trailers back where they usually live, followed by tidying away the crap and stuff that got hauled down from the top level and just dumped, when the rocks got shifted and I had to pull some more soil down to load out.
Buckets and grab strewn about too, so got them stashed away, out the way and tuck some 'large' pallets of stuff into the corner.
Would've been an easier job with the VA-r on, but managed with me straight forks and a little judicious fork and machine positioning/juggling.

Also needed to get at me burning bin, which I'd foolishly trapped behind all the junk .... not burned the rubbish for nigh on two weeks and it soon mounts up.
WTF does all the packaging come from and WTF do we all have to tolerate it !! ....
been threatening to take it all back to the supermarkets it comes from and fill their bins for years .... just too much hassle .. quick match and it's gone !!

good South Westerly tonight again .... fortunately ... some of that placcy packaging produces some shite ol' smoke !!!

Hopefully dry tomorrow, to get the lid off yon tank, investigate the insides and check it out to see if it really is double skinned, but'll be surprised if it isn't as stated in its lil' book ... it's a beautifully crafted piece of work !!

Only thing missing are the hold down bolts for the domed fill point lid ....
might contact Chemo and see what six'd cost ...... or I'll have to knock some out.
Bolted down with some M10 x 70s tonight to keep the weather out, with the nice O ring seal on the lid !!

Ground is gonna need to dry some yet, 'fore I can get 'the residue' tidied into a heap and out the way. ... like mud pies ATM !!
  #5926   IP: 31.185.213.49
Old 19-12-2017, 08:07 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

That must have cost a fortune new.
  #5927   IP: 31.52.88.212
Old 19-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
That must have cost a fortune new.
yes Gra .... I probably paid 10% of its new price, maybe less .... stunning tank
I'll get a few better/more detailed pix tomorrow ... was on a mission this afters
  #5928   IP: 31.52.90.106
Old 19-12-2017, 09:02 PM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Well it's arrived today, late morning. Been chasing Pallex earlier as the tracking hadn't changed since 06.00 on the 16th, when it said it had arrived at the depot?

Driver was lucky I was here, as the last email back from them had said probably tomorrow?? Not that it was urgent, but needed to be here to offload it and sign for it !!

came off easy as on the pallet truck and tail lift ...
saved me winding the ol' girl up,although I've been using her the rest of the day ...

as advertised ... brand spanking and smells of now't ..

lots of 'ports' on it and according to the book, that arrived with it, still in its sealed placcy bag, along with labels and a tap top, it is double skinned !!!

[IMG]http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y450/v8druid/WP_20171219_12_53_05_Pro_zpsw9vxjws3.jpg

it's even got a dip stick port and graduated dip stick !!

Had to look twice at that first photo; thought the driver had just popped out of the parcel.
  #5929   IP: 31.52.88.212
Old 19-12-2017, 09:03 PM

forgot this one earlier ...... knowing how you all love a good pic

could do with a few more of these ... and the days to follow them

been dry .. sort of today .... the air has been, but hell the ground is still sodden
Gonna take weeks to dry out from all that white stuff melting.
  #5930   IP: 31.52.88.212
Old 19-12-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
Had to look twice at that first photo; thought the driver had just popped out of the parcel.
LOL Chris ..... I hadn't noticed that
He was well happy to find me here ..... especially after I'd told him I'd been chasing Pallex for three days, for a delivery day confirmation .... and wasn't expecting him 'til tomorrow, at the earliest!!