The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#11   IP: 96.43.76.153
Old 29-06-2017, 09:32 PM
Perfect Master

Default Re: Small plastic 'paper' medium Fuel Filter

[QUOTE=V8Druid;154590]I'd just be buying a dozen of these and changing as required ....

US $2.49

or these .....

US $3.10

if it'll cope with petrol, it'll handle diesel easily ..... petrol has a far greater solvent effect on adhesives than diesel ever will.

As said .... you must be using some pretty sh*tty fuel to be blocking filters in 100 hrs [/QUOTE

I agree. Gas it harsher then diesel. These filters should be fine. BUT I was told by a Fram Rep that they will not work. "It'll break down the Filtering Medium." That's the whole reason for the Post. Trying to find someone who has used a small in-line 'Gas' filter on a diesel with no issues.
I am using Fuel from a big name company. It is a Station that sells diesel all the time. I have friends with other Diesel machines. They buy from the same place. No issues. That's why I am thinking that this tiny little pre filter was an afterthought by the Tractor manufacturer. It wasn't on the tractor the year earlier.

Last edited by Tony H; 29-06-2017 at 09:35 PM.
  #12   IP: 86.143.138.239
Old 30-06-2017, 12:08 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

[QUOTE=Tony H;154592]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
I'd just be buying a dozen of these and changing as required ....

US $2.49

or these .....

US $3.10

if it'll cope with petrol, it'll handle diesel easily ..... petrol has a far greater solvent effect on adhesives than diesel ever will.

As said .... you must be using some pretty sh*tty fuel to be blocking filters in 100 hrs [/QUOTE

I agree. Gas it harsher then diesel. These filters should be fine. BUT I was told by a Fram Rep that they will not work. "It'll break down the Filtering Medium." That's the whole reason for the Post. Trying to find someone who has used a small in-line 'Gas' filter on a diesel with no issues.
I am using Fuel from a big name company. It is a Station that sells diesel all the time. I have friends with other Diesel machines. They buy from the same place. No issues. That's why I am thinking that this tiny little pre filter was an afterthought by the Tractor manufacturer. It wasn't on the tractor the year earlier.
Hmm .... odd? ...... can not see that diesel would do that to a filter ?? ....... next failure ... cut it open and examine it ??
  #13   IP: 96.43.76.153
Old 30-06-2017, 01:12 AM
Perfect Master

[QUOTE=V8Druid;154597]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony H View Post

Hmm .... odd? ...... can not see that diesel would do that to a filter ?? ....... next failure ... cut it open and examine it ??
I did cut one open. Construction is the same as the Fram. Filter was not loaded with crap yet before cutting, I could not blow thru it. I'm thinking that the Fram guy was correct AND JCB used a filter made the same causing the same clogging issues as discussed.
Talked to a WIX filter guy. They make their own filter as well as make the NAPA brand filters. He said the same thing as the Fram guy. Cellulose paper filter will swell and appear clogged. Below is his comment:
Tony,
The media inside of the Napa 3053 is Cellulose / Paper.
There is water in diesel fuel, when that water goes through
the filter the paper will absorb it and swell and plug. What would
be needed would be an in-line fuel filter with 50 150 micron
wire screen mesh. We do not offer one in the style of the 3053.
  #14   IP: 81.2.93.37
Old 30-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Master Elect of Nine

If you have a lot of water in the fuel, then you need to fit a water seperator - you may want to put a new housing and such into the machine - and if you prefer fram filters it may be worth speaking to them about what options they have. Either way, it would probably replace the inline filter you currently have.
  #15   IP: 96.43.76.153
Old 30-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Perfect Master

[QUOTE=Cyberprog;154603]If you have a lot of water in the fuel, then you need to fit a water seperator - you may want to put a new housing and such into the machine - and if you prefer fram filters it may be worth speaking to them about what options they have. Either way, it would probably replace the inline filter you currently have.[/QUOTE

We don't have water in fuel issues. It sounded like the Rep was saying that Diesel, by nature, has more water in it. There is a Spin on Water separator/filter after this one that I check and is always water free.
Here is the order : Fuel tank to this troublesome filter to Lift Pump to Spin on filter to engine. I think this small filter was a band-aid to filter the fuel before the Lift Pump. I would change the routing to Fuel tank, Spin-on filter, lift pump engine But I do not know if JCB had a 'Real' reason for what they did. Maybe the Lift pump can't pull thru the Spin on, maybe it needs to push thru it?
  #16   IP: 81.2.93.37
Old 30-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Why not run it through the spin-on filter first, then this one? Sounds like that might be better?
  #17   IP: 86.113.108.247
Old 30-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Run a Mann inline filter on my 3 ton mini before main filter and after water trap have no issues

Mann filter
Wk42/2
  #18   IP: 86.143.138.239
Old 30-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

common rail engines and their pumps especially, DO NOT like water in the fuel ... sounds like this has been 'patched in' to be a sponge for any water !!

if you've that much water in the fuel i'd be changing my suppliers ....
diesel does not 'inherently' have water in it ...
water is either a contaminant or a condensate ...
diesel is pure fuel when refined and will not absorb water .. end of !!

have you tried dropping the drain out of your tank to see what's sat in the bottom of it?
  #19   IP: 96.43.76.153
Old 30-06-2017, 11:59 PM
Perfect Master

NO water in tank. I have a liquid you put on a Stick and drop it down the tank. They use it on home oil Burner tanks. I have also checked the water separator filter and no water drains. It has been happening for 3+ years. Not a new issue. I would have no issue plumbing it thru the Spin on first but I question why JCB did not just do this in the first place. Silly me but I am assuming JCB experts did this for a reason.

The Mann filter is of the same construction as the OEM JCB and the FRAM filter I can readily get here. If you have been using it without issues, I'm going to just get the Fram and stop banging my head about it. The Mann filter is the same as the FRAM G2 or G12 .

Last edited by Tony H; 01-07-2017 at 12:06 AM.