The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Photos

#1   IP: 81.135.131.245
Old 13-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Grow your own boat! 'Tales' from The Druid's workshop

Hi All,
A few people have been interested in some photos I posted recently of some of the work I've done over the last 30 odd years and suggested I start a thread to post some more images.

Although not strictly Construction equipment, per se, I have been involved in all sorts of elements of the construction industry for decades, from the fabrication of structural steel work, buildings, fire escapes and all manner of construction related fabrications, to the erection of the same, both by ourselves & others and also ran a small mobile crane fleet, for hire, for a couple of decades.

I hope that this 'first attempt' will be of interest to as many of you as possible.
For those who don't share other's enthusiasm to see more of my photos, I apologize in advance.

The Druid

PS
Bear with me on the uploads for this thread as there's a lot (with more to follow)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_1001.jpg (89.1 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1002.jpg (93.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1003.jpg (90.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1022.jpg (71.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1028.jpg (92.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1029.jpg (89.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1031.jpg (96.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1033.jpg (98.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1035.jpg (74.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1037.jpg (69.8 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by V8Druid; 13-07-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: trying to work out how to put more images up???
  #2   IP: 86.155.205.178
Old 13-07-2013, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Grow your own boat! 'Tales' from The Druid's workshop

i look forward to this thread it will be interesting

easiest way to add more is to do as you have just done , post it ,then click the reply button and add some more with a short bit of text

cheers graham
  #3   IP: 31.107.58.201
Old 13-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

Love it, love it, the title is a master

never seen or thought about how something like a boat is built from scratch.
This is going to be a very entertaining and educational thread me thinks.

Now you've learned how to start a thread I reckon you need another in either the tech or industry chat titled welding advice / tips / questions / guidance as your experience and willingness to help is a credit to yourself but also a great asset to the forum imho.

Personally I'd have you leave it all in my thread as its doing my page count and hits wonders. Dreaming I might catch Eddies wideboy thread yet if it stays out of the soft

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #4   IP: 81.135.131.245
Old 13-07-2013, 12:28 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
i look forward to this thread it will be interesting

easiest way to add more is to do as you have just done , post it ,then click the reply button and add some more with a short bit of text

cheers graham
Hi Graham,
Thanks for the kind remarks and advice.
I hope your interest and enthusiasm isn't misguided

There's a lot of this and I'm going to have to combine a few different builds to get the sequence right for all elements, as I didn't always photograph every part of every boat.
So If it doesn't look like the 'same boat' occasionally, that's why and I've done quite a few of these.

What you can't really see, initially is the chalk line on the floor to lay the keel (80mm x 30mm solid flat on edge) to get it straight.
Something we prided ourselves on was arrow-straight builds.
The bilge plates (bottom) are usually 10mm plate.

The two guys are Rico & Dai. Good fabricators and two of my best guys.
Rico'd been with me since he left school (and for a youngster has infinite patience, which he needed with me about, as I'm a bit of a perfectionist, when it comes to fabbing) and Dai came to me after being bored with Fabricating Buckets, day in, day out, for Geiths.

Cheers,
Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_1038.jpg (96.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1039.jpg (89.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1040.jpg (96.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1041.jpg (91.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1043.jpg (79.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1044.jpg (93.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1045.jpg (79.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1046.jpg (95.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1047.jpg (79.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1048.jpg (87.7 KB, 89 views)
  #5   IP: 81.135.131.245
Old 13-07-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
Love it, love it, the title is a master

never seen or thought about how something like a boat is built from scratch.
This is going to be a very entertaining and educational thread me thinks.

Now you've learned how to start a thread I reckon you need another in either the tech or industry chat titled welding advice / tips / questions / guidance as your experience and willingness to help is a credit to yourself but also a great asset to the forum imho.

Personally I'd have you leave it all in my thread as its doing my page count and hits wonders. Dreaming I might catch Eddies wideboy thread yet if it stays out of the soft
'Morning Rob,

And the significance of "Love it, love it, the title is a master" is ??

Yet more 'flattery' Rob. Told you before, gets you everywhere!!
I'll think about your other thread suggestion. I'm not one to 'blow me own trumpet' mate, but if I can pass on any helpful advice, that's fine. It's just what I've done for most of my life and been very lucky enough to have enjoyed doing it, too.

Just wait 'til I start picking other peoples' brains. Yerz all gonna get bored with me!!

Glad your page count/hits rate is 'doing OK'. Who's Eddie? I'll have to take a look at his stuff, if he's that popular

So here's the next few, for you guys to eyeball.

All for now as 'er indoors has gone outdoors and is pestering me to go 'cut the grass'. It's only about an acre an' a half !! and it's pushing 28 deg.s out there. Rather stay here in the cool, however, that strange 'whining noise' is getting louder and it's not a transmission whine, sounds more like - cut the grass, cut the grass, etc..
TTFN

The Druid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_1049.jpg (97.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1050.jpg (97.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1051.jpg (67.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1052.jpg (84.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1053.jpg (93.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1054.jpg (86.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1055.jpg (64.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1056.jpg (72.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1057.jpg (79.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1058.jpg (66.0 KB, 82 views)
  #6   IP: 81.135.131.245
Old 13-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Well 1/2 the mowing's done.
The 'tough' 1/2, with a zero turn Ransome Bobcat (that was hangin' on the CX arm in a previous post), which drags you along behind it.

Clutches and brakes for steering an' ye gotta be 'on the ball', or you either end up in the ditch, or 'mow' something you shouldn't have
Want a hydrostatic, stand on Great Dane one, for all the banks. T'other half wants a sit on, but I favour the stand on, for baling out of, in a hurry!!!

The ride on'll do the rest and there's lights on that, so it can get done when that big, hot, yellow thing in the sky's gone down a bit.

Next 10 coming up guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_1060.jpg (66.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1062.jpg (66.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1064.jpg (89.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1065.jpg (96.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2592 DEEP BEVELLED PLATE JOINT.jpg (94.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg ASSEMBLING PROW PROFILES.jpg (96.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2661 DEEP VEE JOINTING PREP..jpg (92.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2662 PREPPED AND POSITIONED ON KEEL BAR.jpg (96.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2663.jpg (95.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2667.jpg (95.2 KB, 69 views)
  #7   IP: 2.103.118.184
Old 13-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Knight of the East

Hi V8 been to cardigain bay for a week with out wifi

like your boat thread very much I can only dream of a workshop like that

a few questions for you

when you weld the seams do you weld a foot miss a foot kind of thing to stop distortion?????????

have you a profile cutter or do you use templates ??????

will wait for a few more pics before I ask anything else

Paul.

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #8   IP: 81.135.131.245
Old 13-07-2013, 08:18 PM

That's tea out the way!
Big question now is more mowing or a nice cool shower??

For those wondering, the reasoning behind the two piece 'prow' profile is cost. Much cheaper to produce it this way and 'nail it together', than cutting it from one big plate.

Apologies for a bit of a jump with the bow/front 'swim' assembly. Very similar construction to the stern 'swim', but with more of an 'edge' to it to meet the prow profile, as opposed to the rear's squarer finish, to accommodate the stern tube for the prop shaft.
Plate joints are either bevelled or 'gapped' to allow for weld penetration.

The 'cut swim' on our hulls gave a much more stable steerage, than a rolled plate bow and was very responsive on the tiller.

Much like pointing a knife blade through the water and at only 4 mph max. you needed all the help you can get, steering these, with any side wind. An idea I came up with for a much larger hull which worked a dream and we adopted on smaller ones. In the water it looks completely traditional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_2668.jpg (95.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1087.jpg (98.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1088.jpg (89.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1089.jpg (99.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1090.jpg (98.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1091.jpg (89.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1093.jpg (69.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1094.jpg (77.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1095.jpg (97.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1097.jpg (89.0 KB, 82 views)
  #9   IP: 81.135.131.245
Old 14-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Hi V8 been to cardigain bay for a week with out wifi

like your boat thread very much I can only dream of a workshop like that

a few questions for you

when you weld the seams do you weld a foot miss a foot kind of thing to stop distortion?????????

have you a profile cutter or do you use templates ??????

will wait for a few more pics before I ask anything else

Paul.
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your interest.

re. seams.
Basically the whole damned thing was assembled to gunwhale level, stitched up, so's you've got a 'big box' (as you'll see). Internal stitches were 'beefed up', before we welded up the outside, hit / miss / hit, as you've guessed, then we did the inside same fashion. It's also temp. braced, as necessary.

re. profiles.
Did have my own small 'magic eye' profiler for pernickity jobs, but it used to be cheaper to 'farm out' the bigger lumps. Have done it with templates/free hand, but again it was usually cheaper to 'buy 'em in', unless we were in a real hurry for something.

Re. other Q.s.
Feel free to fire away. In the current heat, I'm hiding in my small office at home, in front of a damned great fan, most of the time, as I'm not into getting grilled. Nice, but TOO hot 'pour moi' !!

Again, I've had to skip between files/boats to get a representative selection of images for the next 10 folks, but the techniques are essentially the same, with the odd variation in sequence perhaps - bulk head /sides, or sides/bulk head. You may also notice that the prow profile is the same, 'now you see it, now you don't' , depending on whether the damned thing had been delivered in time or not.

The side panels were formed 'in house' on our 320 ton brake press (which'd do 12' of 1/2" plate to 90 deg.s). the side plating was always 6mm, whilst the bilge plating was either 10 or 12 mm depending on customer preference/depth of pockets. I'd do 8 mm at a pinch, but refused point blank to make 'em with 6 mm bottoms as they just wouldn't last in our local canal (more later on that subject).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_2644.jpg (92.1 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2646.jpg (96.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2647.jpg (97.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2651.jpg (95.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2653.jpg (95.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2654.jpg (96.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2655.jpg (98.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2656.jpg (97.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2658.jpg (97.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_2659.jpg (98.4 KB, 84 views)
  #10   IP: 81.135.131.245
Old 14-07-2013, 05:42 PM

The Mon. & Brec. canal, although referred to by the Tourist industry as one of the prettiest in the country, due to its location, could also be described, (perhaps a little unkindly), as a deep ditch with deeper puddles called 'locks'.

http://www.mbact.org.uk/canals.php

Suffice to say that, as when it was built in the 1790s, without the aid of anything other than shovels and wheel barrows, they dug out as little dirt as possible. Therefore its profile is V bottomed, apart from in the locks, is about 10" deep at the banks and all but the most vertically challenged of us would barely get our nadgers wet, stood in the middle of it

This is why you'll have noticed that our boat hulls were V bottomed, unlike the average canal boat, which is flat bottomed and a damned sight easier to build. (Only ever done one flat).
Our wider beamed hulls (which I'll try to find some pic.s of again) even had a 'double chine' (the bit where the side meets the bilge plates), to allow 'em to get in to the banks to moor.
You can always spot a flat bottom on the M&B as it's parked about 3-4 feet out from the bank, sat on the bottom of the canal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_1127.jpg (84.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1140.jpg (89.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1146.jpg (94.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1150.jpg (98.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1152.jpg (91.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1156.jpg (99.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1159.jpg (89.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_1203.jpg (98.7 KB, 68 views)