The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 81.130.168.0
Old 14-05-2017, 08:23 AM

Default Painting a excavator

I have a excavator that needs a freshen up do you recommend using a primer, I have painted a couple of machines before and always used one but I've painted many counterweights without a primer just keying the old gloss and they've been fine, it has no rust just looks dull but beyond a t-cut it is a working machine so I'm not expecting a car finish.

Thanks ad
  #2   IP: 151.230.154.125
Old 14-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Elect of Fifteen

Default Re: Painting a excavator

if you have any rust spots rub them back and put rust killer on which acts as a primer give it a key and top coat it ive got good results with a sponge glosss roller if you dont want to do lots of masking up
  #3   IP: 151.228.139.78
Old 14-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Secret Master

I have painted several machines over the years including a very scabby Fermec 860 and New Holland Nh85 i dont even think they were primed at the factory the way the old paint came off, i use an angle grinder with a fibre disc which gets you back to shiney metal then i use a Zinc primer followed by a couple of coats of the machinre colour, my machines are outside all of the time and the painwork lasts very well. I will post a few before and after pictures when i get a chance.
  #4   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 14-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart1602 View Post
if you have any rust spots rub them back and put rust killer on which acts as a primer give it a key and top coat it ive got good results with a sponge glosss roller if you dont want to do lots of masking up
Ol' fabricator's friend Mart ..... short pile and some practice .. be amazed at the finish achievable with that too .... have put some shiny shite on with a 4" roller over the years and waaaay better cover than a gun (unless it's an airless of course)
  #5   IP: 151.230.154.125
Old 14-05-2017, 11:14 PM
Elect of Fifteen

ive got an earlex gun that ive had for years its the bolloxjust plug in and go,no water splats from compressor and as quiet as a hair drier
  #6   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 14-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
ive got an earlex gun that ive had for years its the bollox just plug in and go,no water splats from compressor and as quiet as a hair drier
one o' these Mart ?.....

or one of these ?

Got a Wanner version of the above .... used to use it for wax oil ... brilliant thing, but never tried it for painting with
  #7   IP: 151.230.154.125
Old 14-05-2017, 11:29 PM
Elect of Fifteen

like the first but older,prob close to 20 yrs old now
  #8   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 14-05-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
like the first but older,prob close to 20 yrs old now
Ah right ..... not tried one of those ...... bit like a HVLP unit, 'cept it has it's own air supply

I've an airless unit which is excellent ..... for big areas, it's a faff to set up/clean ..... but hell it puts it on though

bit like this one ......

but can't recall the name of it ATM to find a pic

Water pistol for paint and don't they ever get through a 25 ltr pail

Great for painting buildings, steel work, boats, or containers !!
  #9   IP: 151.230.154.125
Old 14-05-2017, 11:47 PM
Elect of Fifteen

on the newer ones like ive got you can get a back pack that holds 5 ltr for bigger areas and there not big money will spray emulsion,gloss,fence paint,enamel etc fully adjustable paint flow on the gun as well i find it best not to allow to much paint through and go over it more avoids runs and the earlex blows warm air so dries very quickly
  #10   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 14-05-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
on the newer ones like ive got you can get a back pack that holds 5 ltr for bigger areas and there not big money will spray emulsion,gloss,fence paint,enamel etc fully adjustable paint flow on the gun as well i find it best not to allow to much paint through and go over it more avoids runs and the earlex blows warm air so dries very quickly
Hmm ..... sounds an interesting unit .... must have a look into those .... thanks