Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#11   IP: 86.158.217.11
Old 16-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Knight of the East

Default Re: Rod failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
how would dropping the boom possibly have made it worse Rory
Sorry, been on BHL today. Controls are backwards in me head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #12   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 16-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Sorry, been on BHL today. Controls are backwards in me head.
TBH I was pretty sure that was what was going through your mind too .... had to check
  #13   IP: 50.66.244.137
Old 17-05-2017, 01:41 AM
Knight of the East and West

Had a friend a few years ago break a cylinder rod on the bucket ram at the same spot. They tried welding it twice before buying a new one. Luckily he was just doing ditching and not hoisting anything other than muck. Looks like a difficult crack to detect with the naked eyeball too being in the valley of the thread there.
  #14   IP: 82.132.236.82
Old 17-05-2017, 07:30 AM
Secret Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800CLC View Post
Had a friend a few years ago break a cylinder rod on the bucket ram at the same spot. They tried welding it twice before buying a new one. Luckily he was just doing ditching and not hoisting anything other than muck. Looks like a difficult crack to detect with the naked eyeball too being in the valley of the thread there.
I wouldn't even entertained the idea of welding it up,throw it in the skip and and get a new one, just had to go up the garden and pick some money off the tree
Biggest pain in the arse though was I had to hire a cherry picker and telehandler in as the machine was perched on a 4m high stockpile of chalk
  #15   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 17-05-2017, 12:46 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by volbar1 View Post
I wouldn't even entertained the idea of welding it up,throw it in the skip and and get a new one, just had to go up the garden and pick some money off the tree
Biggest pain in the arse though was I had to hire a cherry picker and telehandler in as the machine was perched on a 4m high stockpile of chalk
That was annoying ..... not the easiest of items to handle on a flat floor, with it all stretched out nicely ..... be quite a lump that !!

How'd you get the piston out ? Air pressure and a catch net ?
  #16   IP: 31.85.20.245
Old 17-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800CLC View Post
Could you not get the machine down of the stockpile? Our old kx161
Snapped the ram eye on the dipper so had no dipper! That was fun loading it onto a beavertail with no ramps but was achievable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #17   IP: 82.132.220.60
Old 17-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Secret Master

Quote:
That was annoying ..... not the easiest of items to handle on a flat floor, with it all stretched out nicely ..... be quite a lump that !!

How'd you get the piston out ? Air pressure and a catch net ?
I'm glad I didn't have to get it out just put everything on a pallet as it was service exchange, I'll think the whole lot will go into the skip as the inside of the cylinder didn't fare too good either.

Wee Gus, I didn't have another digger there to make a ramp to get it down and the cherry picker and telehandler I needed on site the week after anyway so not too bad a cost.
  #18   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 17-05-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I'm glad I didn't have to get it out just put everything on a pallet as it was service exchange, I'll think the whole lot will go into the skip as the inside of the cylinder didn't fare too good either.

Wee Gus, I didn't have another digger there to make a ramp to get it down and the cherry picker and telehandler I needed on site the week after anyway so not too bad a cost.
GULP !!!!

Bet that was cheap ..... NOT
  #19   IP: 86.185.91.57
Old 17-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Secret Master

Quote:
GULP !!!!

Bet that was cheap ..... NOT
2950😭😭 oh well! Going to order a new undercarriage next week as well. Better go see the bank manager!!
  #20   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 17-05-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
2950😭😭 oh well! Going to order a new undercarriage next week as well. Better go see the bank manager!!
bugger the manager ..... better go rob it