The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 31.185.213.2
Old 16-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Bolt on pin cradle

Since Hewden going skint I've been looking round to find another self drive hire company that covers where I go. Tried A Plant and they are okay, but as I needed a long reach I tried HE Services. Used them years ago, but stopped when they started using their own hitch as it was such a precision fit even the buckets from the depot often didn't fit. They have a new Masterhitch design, so thought I would try them again. Really nice machine and good service, so going to make my own pin cradle to bolt on to my attachments rather than hiring one each time. Believe it or not their hitch for 10t to 17t uses solid 100mm pins and 30mm plate. The cradle weighs 280kg. My others weigh about 70kg. It seems silly to hang that out at 15m, just asking to make it unstable. Anyway, I'm after advice. I thought I would make the pins of thick wall tube, but had no idea how I work out what thickness I need. I'm only working in sand and I'd pull the mesh out of my sieve if I went mad with it.
Anyone any ideas?
Thanks
Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0821.jpg (64.3 KB, 74 views)
  #2   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 16-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: Bolt on pin cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
Since Hewden going skint I've been looking round to find another self drive hire company that covers where I go. Tried A Plant and they are okay, but as I needed a long reach I tried HE Services. Used them years ago, but stopped when they started using their own hitch as it was such a precision fit even the buckets from the depot often didn't fit. They have a new Masterhitch design, so thought I would try them again. Really nice machine and good service, so going to make my own pin cradle to bolt on to my attachments rather than hiring one each time. Believe it or not their hitch for 10t to 17t uses solid 100mm pins and 30mm plate. The cradle weighs 280kg. My others weigh about 70kg. It seems silly to hang that out at 15m, just asking to make it unstable. Anyway, I'm after advice. I thought I would make the pins of thick wall tube, but had no idea how I work out what thickness I need. I'm only working in sand and I'd pull the mesh out of my sieve if I went mad with it.
Anyone any ideas?
Thanks
Graham
I'd have said it would be easier to source solid pins than hollow pins with a thick enough wall. At 30mm the plate is where the weight is!
  #3   IP: 31.185.213.2
Old 16-05-2017, 07:15 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I'm going to reduce the plate thickness to 20mm and reduce the height of the sides anyway. I am confident 20mm is more than sufficient going on what I currently use. 15mm would probably do it, but I don't want to overdo the weight saving and have it twist.
100mm pins must weigh a lot though.
Graham
  #4   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 16-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
I'm going to reduce the plate thickness to 20mm and reduce the height of the sides anyway. I am confident 20mm is more than sufficient going on what I currently use. 15mm would probably do it, but I don't want to overdo the weight saving and have it twist.
100mm pins must weigh a lot though.
Graham
what length are they Gra ..... 100 dia solid is 61.654 Kgs / M mate .... they're having a laugh using 100 mm pins

you could try finding some 101 CHS with a 5mm wall ..... 88.9 will then fit inside that and is available in 5mm too and if you wanted to go again, 76.2 is also available in 5mm but is not a totally snug fit like t'other two.

Finding some 100mm CDS with a decent wall thickness might take some doing, but you'll be looking for engineering tube.

TBH I'd be pretty sure the 101 + 88.9 would be more than man enough to be gripped by the hitch ..... as you say ...... 't'aint gonna be getting grief.

20mm plate and 15mm cheeks'd probably be fine too Boyo.

What width is the hitch and what centres are they at ...... hell of a thing on a 10 t machine
  #5   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 16-05-2017, 07:39 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

15mm plate is 117.75kg/m .... 20mm is 157kg/m

if anyone wants steel weights ever ... just ask .... got more section books and references than you can shake a stick at
  #6   IP: 31.185.213.2
Old 16-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
what length are they Gra

What width is the hitch and what centres are they at ...... hell of a thing on a 10 t machine
On cradle pin centres are 400mm, inside width is 415, so pins are best part of 500mm.
Graham
  #7   IP: 81.178.213.231
Old 16-05-2017, 11:08 PM
Knight of the East

What you need is some 4" drill tube

If I remember will have a look in the yard tomorrow

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #8   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 16-05-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
On cradle pin centres are 400mm, inside width is 415, so pins are best part of 500mm.
Graham
Jeeeeezus ..... would love to see that on a 10 tonner ... what a beast of a hitch .... must weigh quite something on its own

So you've got 62+ kgs of pins Gra ...... very short centres though ..... same as the 'Drema's Miller, but that's 70mm pins
  #9   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 16-05-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
What you need is some 4" drill tube

If I remember will have a look in the yard tomorrow
aye ..... be ideal Mog ..... IIRC 12 or 14mm wall ...... but 102mm OD, at 4"
  #10   IP: 31.185.213.2
Old 17-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Just having a look on line. Seems nearest is going to be 4 inch od which is 101.6mm. I'll have to have a proper measure and see if it is within tolerance.
Came across cold drawn seemless tube with 4.8mm walls. What do you think?
Graham