The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 217.46.90.211
Old 22-06-2017, 11:53 PM
Intendant of the Building

Default Slew gear grease

My old fh150 has had a bit of a problem. It started leaking oil from around the slew ring seal. I looked at gearbox oil and that was ok. So i decided it must be the center joint leaking hydraulic oil into the slew ring. I have since removed it and fitted new seals. Today i finished putting it all back together and have left the bottom cover of for the oil to drain from slew ring. I have just looked in the operators manual and that says to use a lithium base grease no. 2 consistancy which i think is a normal lithium ep2. What the manual does not say is how much grease to put in. A quick google didnt find much other than someone saying 10 gallons when new in a 20 ton machine. So i would be interested what you guys think would be the correct amount to put in. I keep thinking maybe a less solid grease would be better?
  #2   IP: 5.80.75.220
Old 01-07-2017, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Slew gear grease

So i put one full bucket of grease in there and used her for a couple of days. All appears ok. I will keep an eye on the grease.
  #3   IP: 31.50.50.33
Old 02-07-2017, 12:21 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifferr View Post
My old fh150 has had a bit of a problem. It started leaking oil from around the slew ring seal. I looked at gearbox oil and that was ok. So i decided it must be the center joint leaking hydraulic oil into the slew ring. I have since removed it and fitted new seals. Today i finished putting it all back together and have left the bottom cover of for the oil to drain from slew ring. I have just looked in the operators manual and that says to use a lithium base grease no. 2 consistancy which i think is a normal lithium ep2. What the manual does not say is how much grease to put in. A quick google didnt find much other than someone saying 10 gallons when new in a 20 ton machine. So i would be interested what you guys think would be the correct amount to put in. I keep thinking maybe a less solid grease would be better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifferr View Post
So i put one full bucket of grease in there and used her for a couple of days. All appears ok. I will keep an eye on the grease.
sorry I didn't respond ...... but I'd no idea either .....
I assume you have some sort of grease bath that the ring gear and pinion runs in, inside the ring ??
can't imagine it'd be anything critical, volume-wise ..... as long as it's not short of grease to do the lubey bit ..... or over full to cause any issues with it trying to escape.
As you say .... case of keeping a watchful eye on it ..... not exactly high speed is it

Does the bearing itself have separate grease nipples? Again I'd assume so, if it has a seal to keep it all in there ....As Trax used to say .... just enough, for it to start to peep out the seal ..... is enough !!
  #4   IP: 86.113.106.231
Old 02-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

My zx180 flashes up on screen every time its due more grease I bang 3-4 cartridges in when it does
  #5   IP: 5.80.75.220
Old 03-07-2017, 07:15 AM

Yes the bearing has nipples. The old grease was all washed out after mixing with the oil. There was also some water in there that came out when draining the oil.
I'm not sure if this was condensation or rain has got in somehow.
  #6   IP: 109.157.255.66
Old 03-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Knight of the East and West

I think you need to go steady with grease for the slew ring: you can end up upsetting the seal. The gears aren't exactly whizzing around, so grease should cling on and stay put for a good while.
  #7   IP: 31.50.50.33
Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
I think you need to go steady with grease for the slew ring: you can end up upsetting the seal. The gears aren't exactly whizzing around, so grease should cling on and stay put for a good while.
the nipples should be lubing the bearings in the ring Chris ... not the pinion and gear rack.
A few pumps until it starts to just appear at the seal, rotate 20-30 degrees and go again ..... got 4 nipples in mine so doesn't take long to get around the whole bearing!
  #8   IP: 109.157.255.66
Old 03-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
the nipples should be lubing the bearings in the ring Chris ... not the pinion and gear rack.
A few pumps until it starts to just appear at the seal, rotate 20-30 degrees and go again ..... got 4 nipples in mine so doesn't take long to get around the whole bearing!
Oops.

Yes, I grease mine as per your suggestion.