The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 51.9.78.122
Old 06-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Default Yanmar vio20-1 idler bearing

What I thought was some stones running through the front idler has turned out to be a completely shot bearing. I'm awaiting some quotes for a new idler assembly with some trepidation, but in the meantime have been trying to press out the old bearing spindle with a view to possibly regrinding and replacing the bearing. But...having got the assembly off without difficulty and removed the circlip on the inboard side of the spindle, the spindle won't budge. I've been pressing from the outside in, but am now wondering whether I should be pressing from the circlip side (ie, from the inside to the outside)?

Anyone have any suggestions, including whether it is worth attempting the repair at all or whether I should just brace myself for getting a new assembly?

Thanks all.
  #2   IP: 51.9.78.122
Old 06-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Yanmar vio20-1 idler bearing

Right. The shaft and remains of the bearing are out (it came out pressing with a lot of force from the outside inwards) but the shaft is badly worn and so little remains of the bearing it is impossible to see what I need. A couple of suppliers I've spoken to say they can't do anything for a VIO20-1, only a VIO20-2. The French supplier of the parts won't help confirm as the digger is a foreign import.

Does anyone know whether the idler assembly for a VIO20-2 is compatible with a 20-1? I'm pretty sure they are but it would be good if it could be confirmed.

Thanks again.
  #3   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 06-09-2017, 02:13 PM
Grand Master Architect

Is the shaft wear where the inner race of the bearing sits? You could take it to a local machine shop. Ask for a price to turn the shaft true and down to a diameter to match an off-the-shelf bearing.

If it was simple to post pictures on this crappy forum software, I'd say a picture is worth a thousand words. Sadly it's probably not worth your time trying to post one when you could be in the workshop.
  #4   IP: 51.9.78.122
Old 06-09-2017, 02:16 PM

The shaft appears to be worn in various places. I'm also concerned that the idler wheel itself is worn where the races would have sat. Someone has now come back to me with a prices for the whole idler assembly. A cool 800 ++ so a repair would be very desirable.
  #5   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 06-09-2017, 02:21 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devondumper View Post
The shaft appears to be worn in various places. I'm also concerned that the idler wheel itself is worn where the races would have sat. Someone has now come back to me with a prices for the whole idler assembly. A cool 800 ++ so a repair would be very desirable.
Should be plenty of change from that if you get a local shop to turn both parts to fit an off-the-shelf bearing. It must have been running a while to eat the races up

It all depends upon how hard the worn bits are and whether a standard bearing is available that won't require too much to be turned off, compromising structural integrity. Good luck.
  #6   IP: 51.9.78.122
Old 06-09-2017, 04:27 PM

Local guy is having a look and thinks one of his retired tool makers will be able to fix it up even though "technically it is dead". Will keep you posted.
  #7   IP: 86.158.217.37
Old 06-09-2017, 06:12 PM
Knight of the East

Track tension!

Rubber tracks will fuck Idler bearings repeatedly if over tensioned

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
To Be Continued.....
  #8   IP: 51.9.78.122
Old 07-09-2017, 07:00 AM

That may well be the case but on the side where the bearings failed the track tended to be slack. I thought this might be a defective seal but now it's dismantled it seems fine.
  #9   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 07-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devondumper View Post
That may well be the case but on the side where the bearings failed the track tended to be slack. I thought this might be a defective seal but now it's dismantled it seems fine.
No, that would have been the track slackening as the bearing got eaten away
  #10   IP: 87.113.68.167
Old 25-09-2017, 09:19 PM

Update on this. Machinist said it would cost a lot to fix. Took a chance with a replacement idler unit for a vio20-2 which it turns out is a perfect fit for my vio20-1. Which was a relief as the -2 cost 500 less than the -1.

Thanks as ever for advice.