The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#6651   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 17-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Druid’s New Duck – ’99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
You're feeding the bloody things? Down here we'd wait till they both dipped their heads to the bowl then let them have it , just to save on catridges

Amazing how much better things look after a 'square up'... if I can summon the willpower to finish the paperwork that's on my list today.
so ..... did you get your 'square up' Boyo? or the paperwork get the better of you

'Tis nice to have it all tidy .... I'd have a hell of a lot more space, if this stone guy'd hurry up and come and get started on our wall facing!! got 19 pallets of stone taking up much needed space !!
  #6652   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 17-06-2018, 10:56 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

OMG - look at the page number
  #6653   IP: 86.171.188.224
Old 17-06-2018, 10:58 PM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
The older you get, the more benevolent one becomes towards the wildlife Rube .... flies, wappys and hornets are fair game ... everything else gets left to their own devices ... as long as they'm not in the strawberry bed

Ber rrrrrrt is a bit of a waif and stray ... been here for months .... I don't think he can fly ... never seen him airborne!! Cat-Flap and his mates are just a PITA ...... seem to be a hell of a lot of squirrels about this year but everything has a place in the greater scheme of things Boyo I haven't shot anything in a very long time !!
I shot one of those little fury buggers this morning. I love my [/U]native[/U]wildlife, and any non natives that threaten it better look out.

Oops, that underlining didn’t go well.
  #6654   IP: 86.171.188.224
Old 17-06-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
OMG - look at the page number
Strewth, it’s an oman

I mean omen.

Last edited by pond digger; 17-06-2018 at 11:09 PM.
  #6655   IP: 188.31.126.193
Old 18-06-2018, 07:22 AM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
so ..... did you get your 'square up' Boyo? or the paperwork get the better of you

'Tis nice to have it all tidy .... I'd have a hell of a lot more space, if this stone guy'd hurry up and come and get started on our wall facing!! got 19 pallets of stone taking up much needed space !!
No, but going to do it today when I have staff to do the sweeping...

Something I've been meaning to run past you Graham- I keep thinking about switching (myself at least) from landscaping to metalwork. I've gotten prety good by doing all my own stuff. I do occasionaly bits for customers, and nobody bats an eyelid when I charge them the equivalent of £60 per hour for little jobs. I also enjoy it far more. What do you think? What are the major things to watch out for? My inverter MIG is pretty portable and runs nicely off a suitable long lead, so repair of railings etc is looking like easy money. Much call for it?
  #6656   IP: 86.171.189.109
Old 18-06-2018, 08:38 AM

Come on lads, just a few more posts to turn a page! I feel quite uncomfortable now.
  #6657   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 18-06-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
Strewth, it’s an oman

I mean omen.
LOL Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
Come on lads, just a few more posts to turn a page! I feel quite uncomfortable now.
as long as some bloke called Damien doesn't start posting we'll survive ...... I hope ... roll on #667
  #6658   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 18-06-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
No, but going to do it today when I have staff to do the sweeping...

Something I've been meaning to run past you Graham- I keep thinking about switching (myself at least) from landscaping to metalwork. I've gotten prety good by doing all my own stuff. I do occasionaly bits for customers, and nobody bats an eyelid when I charge them the equivalent of £60 per hour for little jobs. I also enjoy it far more. What do you think? What are the major things to watch out for? My inverter MIG is pretty portable and runs nicely off a suitable long lead, so repair of railings etc is looking like easy money. Much call for it?
you bad lad .... lead by example .... get on that sweeper and show 'em how it's done

As for the Q ... can you define "metalwork" ?

Gates, railings, that sort of stuff ... or you talking steel frame buildings or canal barges LOL

lots to consider ... fabbys need CE 'approval' these days ... came in just after I stopped ... Me mate down the road has had a titsful of all the BS paperwork and is winding down with a view to quitting real soon.
Went out and bought new inverter migs like the one I bought in December, but 3ph. ..... cheaper than having his existing sets tested, calibrated and ticketed ... although they've served him well for many years
the paper trail is just horrific.
Product liability is also a serious concern, even more so now, with the CE shit.
plus ... can you find enough of what you're considering to keep the bucks rolling in week on week ???

As for "much call for it" .... don't know your area, but there will always be a need for folks who can make or repair .....
whether there is enough demand in your locale, or worse still, too much competition, is something that only you will know.

Like everything though, the tossers elected into power, are doing their level best to kill any opportunity for those with enough nouse to step off the 9-5 merry-go-round, under the thumb, earning what you're allowed AND paying huge slices to keep the lazy basta**s who won't, in comfort.

as a side line you look to be doing nicely ... is it sustainable full time is what you need to ask your self Rube.
As an 'additional service' it could well be a nice little money spinner by the sounds of it ..... just see if it grows
  #6659   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 18-06-2018, 11:53 PM

been looking for a new belt grinder for months ....
single phase are few and far between, but with the advent of 3ph ..
options have broadened

had a couple of Grimax ones in the workshop and were used all day, everyday.

Selmach (Selkent that was) have stopped doing the Grimax and now do Kepp ..
essentially the same Swedish machine and thought I was gonna have to bite the bullet and fork out the 1200 quid plus Vodka for one .....

or buy this one

for £860 .......

when this popped up ..... starting bid of 500 quid

spoke to the guy and he told me it was 2017 ...
his dad had bought it for his ali fab workshop and promptly died ..
complete, but off the stand for ease of storage and a load of belts with it (I do have a few spares too)

deal done for £550 palletised and it should be on its way with Pallex ATM

anyone who's never used one ... little vid below

one of my most missed tools

https://youtu.be/dzq-wux9jlE
  #6660   IP: 81.5.170.29
Old 19-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

That is one impressive sander. Puts me Aldi special to shame.
Graham