The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#1   IP: 92.234.34.40
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 PM

Default cctv towers

Following another theft from site on Monday evening I am looking into standalone remote CCTV towers, similar to these;
https://www.wcctv.co.uk/rapid-deployment-site-tower

Does anyone on here use anything similar and if so are there any good recommendations? I am still awaiting quotes but I imagine they are going to be somewhere between expensive and bloody expensive, however at Mondays looses at around 6K plus downtime and around 25K in lost plant over the last 3 years sort of puts them into perspective. Unless they steal the tower.....
  #2   IP: 2.31.36.243
Old 08-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Grand Master Architect

Default Re: cctv towers

I suspect for half the price you could knock something up yourself. Pretty simple with modern tech. I'd spend the money on gsm alarms. Any pikey worth their salt uses a balaclava and fake plates.
  #3   IP: 31.52.21.59
Old 08-03-2017, 08:40 PM

You will get good towers on the radio Ham sites and can put the rest together yourself at a fraction of the cost.

Re what was said above this is very true and unless you get a clear facial shot the video will usually only show what time the kit was taken.

I would look at other types of security.

The police use cameras called memo cams, these are the ones that catch the door step callers who target the elderly. They look like the sensors people have in the corner of room but contain a camera with a memory card in and it takes pictures each time some one walks past and activates the sensor.

You would have to place it some where the thief would pass but you'll pick them up for less than 20. Depending on size of memory card depends on how many pics on there, it just over rights once full. You just go to it when you see something has gone and see how many pics you got.

Wildlife photographers use something similar called trail cameras these are less than 200 and work in a similar way with either video pictures or both, Weather proof and could be mounted in a strong box or hidden from sight.

Just a few ideas, hope this helps
  #4   IP: 5.81.10.170
Old 08-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Sublime Master Elected

I thought about these the other day, my next job is a in remote area so want to keep an eye on it while I'm not there. Looked down the jcb cam watch route, a years rent can pretty much buy me a new machine so it's a no go! Likewise I wouldn't mine making something up with sensors and cams.. it's gotta pwerswade theifs to go rob the site down the road without any security!
  #5   IP: 92.234.34.40
Old 08-03-2017, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the information, I think the idea of the big obvious cctv tower is more of a deterrent than anything else.
However having had very good results using neighbouring cctv this time around has got me thinking it may be a useful addittion.
I appreciate that building something myself would be alot cheaper, however I know absolutly nothing about cameras or how to get the images off them. And with this setup reliability and quality of images is everything. Ill speak to some cctv companies tomorrow and see what prices I can get for individual parts
With regard to the trail cams I currently use them on some sites but they are fairly suceptable to being stolen
  #6   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 09-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Grand Master Architect

I would say a GSM alarm that alerts you to pikeys presence, plus maybe a retainer for a local security firm would go a long way.
  #7   IP: 86.184.20.254
Old 09-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Sublime Master Elected

leave something metal outside and wire it up to the mains,teach the fuckers a lesson
  #8   IP: 147.148.251.149
Old 10-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

i looked at this before jcb launched theres

we were working for guy who did remote cctv monitoring and were looking at buying some used lighting ones, the ones with the tower and the generator, armouring up the engine bay adding a ups, a 4g mobile and cameras and motion sensors.

but with us going off to another job then jcb launching theres didn't seem much point continuing
  #9   IP: 86.139.90.151
Old 18-03-2017, 12:36 AM
Knight of the East

a simple pair of cameras mounted on a post with feet, and dot a few pir's around site, that way your ipad can flag you when the lights come on, then a simple gsm loud speaker, and you can shout at the crims from your bed "im on my FUCKING WAY WITH THE SHOTGUN BOYS!!" should be fun, probably do all that for 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #10   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 18-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Diggers View Post
a simple pair of cameras mounted on a post with feet, and dot a few pir's around site, that way your ipad can flag you when the lights come on, then a simple gsm loud speaker, and you can shout at the crims from your bed "im on my FUCKING WAY WITH THE SHOTGUN BOYS!!" should be fun, probably do all that for 750
Nail on the head mate. That's what I do. So far, tough wood, any time I've had a need to check the camera at night cause the alarms gone off it's only been the cat.

The PIRs would need a GSM alarm unit to link to. Often these provide an output for a loudspeaker.