The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#11   IP: 31.54.91.186
Old 22-05-2018, 07:40 AM
Knight of the East

Default Re: Tilty Advice please.

Iíd spec it S30 all day long on that size.

Eddie.
  #12   IP: 213.78.124.22
Old 22-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Perfect Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey123 View Post
We are going for a direct mount, didnít like the idea of the extra weight or extra build height a double hitch would add.

Mind you Iím happy to be educated as this is all new to me.
I'm sure the E26 can handle the difference, but if weight is a worry then go for the S30 - it's around 40kg lighter than the S40 version on the same tilty.

FYI, apart from the ability to swap tilties between different machines, the three main reasons for going twin hitch are so that you can use a hammer, or to drop the tilty off for narrow, deep trenching; or for bulk muckshifting.

if none of these apply, direct mount S30 on a colour of your choice is fine.

regards

Robert
  #13   IP: 92.26.210.158
Old 22-05-2018, 10:19 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebackblade View Post
Iíd spec it S30 all day long on that size.

Eddie.
I think I would be looking at s30 but I don't have much experience with this size of machine.

Presumably s40 can be spect with the right capacity buckets for a 2.7t digger. Maybe a slightly shorter dipper or extra rear counterweight would keep the machine more balanced and predictable in general use?
  #14   IP: 86.148.243.224
Old 22-05-2018, 10:35 PM
Intimate Secretary

Just fitted s30 & twin hitch for that size of machine,perfect .I think extra weight with the s40 will be to noticeable & end up regretting that size
  #15   IP: 213.205.198.17
Old 23-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Knight of the East

Wink Re: Tilty Advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
I think I would be looking at s30 but I don't have much experience with this size of machine.

Presumably s40 can be spect with the right capacity buckets for a 2.7t digger. Maybe a slightly shorter dipper or extra rear counterweight would keep the machine more balanced and predictable in general use?
Having used both setups of Shaun Grattonís, basically his first was a much better match for the machine.
This is all Engcon based I canít speak for the other brands because Iíve not used them in this class.

If I were speccing in that range it would be S30 with a top and bottom hitch for many reasons, but as with everything itís down to your own applications.
Shaunís S40 is on a 3 tonne plus unit and in some ways is still too large, but a lot of the blame for that lies with Engcon not downsizing the actual top hitch body enough for the smaller machines.
What you basically end up with is a chunk of a hitch thatís suited to a 5 tonner bushed down to 3 tonne.
Shaun has ended up with a slice of counterweight under his Komatsu now to get things where it should be for him.

Iím of the opinion run a Tilty at the very edge of its class in terms of carrier weight, theyíre much stronger than people give them credit for and just because your machine pin is a certain size doesnít mean you have to spec up the S type to get the same strength.
Just cost me for a Tilt Ram on my Ec226, but if you could see what that puts up with on a daily basis itís not surprising. However I donít want the weight penalty of the larger unit above.

Once again ask users and try some is the best advise. Shaun is the guy when it comes to these small setups, heís absolutely passionate, paid plenty of his hard earned out, not afraid to admit a few mistakes on spec and has developed a few nice attachments with BMC now.

Eddie.
  #16   IP: 217.44.139.14
Old 23-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Intendant of the Building

My Volvo ec27c is on s30 direct mount and is fine for me. Weight is the problem with this class of machine if you want to trailer it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180213_152657_crop_776x577.jpg (85.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170515_165411-1024x768.jpg (98.3 KB, 58 views)
  #17   IP: 213.78.124.22
Old 24-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Perfect Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebackblade View Post
If I were speccing in that range it would be S30 with a top and bottom hitch for many reasons, but as with everything itís down to your own applications.
Shaunís S40 is on a 3 tonne plus unit and in some ways is still too large, but a lot of the blame for that lies with Engcon not downsizing the actual top hitch body enough for the smaller machines.
What you basically end up with is a chunk of a hitch thatís suited to a 5 tonner bushed down to 3 tonne.
Shaun has ended up with a slice of counterweight under his Komatsu now to get things where it should be for him.

Iím of the opinion run a Tilty at the very edge of its class in terms of carrier weight, theyíre much stronger than people give them credit for and just because your machine pin is a certain size doesnít mean you have to spec up the S type to get the same strength.
Just cost me for a Tilt Ram on my Ec226, but if you could see what that puts up with on a daily basis itís not surprising. However I donít want the weight penalty of the larger unit above.
Ironically, the S standard defines the crossover from S30 to S40 at 2000kgs.

There is a balance to be struck between usability and product liability which, as a manufacturer, we cross at our peril. We try and drill down into what the end-user will be doing with the proposed setup and apply a reasonable interpretation of the 'rules' without putting anyone at risk.

TBH the weight classification is a pretty blunt instrument when deciding not just hitch size but the model of tilty. On the one hand we can fit our EC209 on a Hydradig which is a nominal 11 tonne digger, whilst at the same time have to look closely at some machines - Altas and Liebherr are regular examples - that punch above their (expected) weight.

Joe doesn't state what he's going to be doing with the machine, but on the balance of probabilities, S30 should be fine.

regards

Robert

Last edited by EngconUK; 24-05-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: remove location reference
  #18   IP: 82.132.224.198
Old 25-05-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngconUK View Post
Ironically, the S standard defines the crossover from S30 to S40 at 2000kgs.

There is a balance to be struck between usability and product liability which, as a manufacturer, we cross at our peril. We try and drill down into what the end-user will be doing with the proposed setup and apply a reasonable interpretation of the 'rules' without putting anyone at risk.

TBH the weight classification is a pretty blunt instrument when deciding not just hitch size but the model of tilty. On the one hand we can fit our EC209 on a Hydradig which is a nominal 11 tonne digger, whilst at the same time have to look closely at some machines - Altas and Liebherr are regular examples - that punch above their (expected) weight.

Joe doesn't state what he's going to be doing with the machine, but on the balance of probabilities, S30 should be fine.

regards

Robert
Thank you to everyone for taking the time and the advice you have given.

With regards to what we will be doing with the machine, we do mostly digger and operator hire and now and again do our own work.

We don’t dog our equipment, well my lad doesn’t he treats them like babies, but myself I will work the machine at it’s maximum limits.

S40 is definitely out the question due to the weight of the unit, buckets and attachments. I’m struggling to even get the s30 set up down to a weight that can be married to our Bobcat E26 and be legal on a 3.5t trailer.

Last edited by joey123; 25-05-2018 at 01:27 PM.
  #19   IP: 213.78.124.22
Old 25-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Perfect Master

I think the general consensus is to try to keep it to S30 in situations like this and, as always, it's down to individual circumstances. I don't doubt it's the right decision here.

To illustrate a point I made earlier, in true Blue Peter fashion, here's one that we have been doing today - hot off the press, if you will.

EC204 with gripper on a S40 twin hitch arrangement.

The TB225 has a nominal weight of 2400kgs but does punch significantly above this and whilst the owner doesn't have the issue of a trailer weight to worry about, this combo just comes in below the limit. In this case the ability to swap the tilty between diggers was a significant consideration.

regards

Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180525TB225a.jpg (91.9 KB, 50 views)
  #20   IP: 82.10.225.154
Old 25-05-2018, 07:02 PM

When you say just below the limit is it still sub 2.9t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.