The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   IP: 81.155.70.57
Old 06-05-2018, 12:13 PM
jd 6820's Avatar
jd 6820 jd 6820 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 29
Default Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Hi there,

I don't post much on here but am a regular reader, particularly the Druid's Hydrema thread. I was wondering if anyone on here operates Volvo EC55 machines? I cannot seem to get post knocker to function correctly, I've hydraulics set in single acting (Hammer mode), press the button on joystick to activate, but on releasing the weight stays raised, I am guessing because the valve is closed after releasing switch rather than opening a return passage. Any ideas how to achieve single acting? If I use the roller on top of joystick it is trying to pressurise the other double hydraulic line whilst the weight is dropped. Something i'd like to avoid as its unnecessarily loading the hydraulics, I cant believe there isn't a simple tap like the CAT 302.5 we ran before this.

Regards,
Matt
Reply With Quote
  #2   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 06-05-2018, 02:11 PM
V8Druid's Avatar
V8Druid V8Druid is offline
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Posts: 15,053
Default Re: Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd 6820 View Post
Hi there,

I don't post much on here but am a regular reader, particularly the Druid's Hydrema thread. I was wondering if anyone on here operates Volvo EC55 machines? I cannot seem to get post knocker to function correctly, I've hydraulics set in single acting (Hammer mode), press the button on joystick to activate, but on releasing the weight stays raised, I am guessing because the valve is closed after releasing switch rather than opening a return passage. Any ideas how to achieve single acting? If I use the roller on top of joystick it is trying to pressurise the other double hydraulic line whilst the weight is dropped. Something i'd like to avoid as its unnecessarily loading the hydraulics, I cant believe there isn't a simple tap like the CAT 302.5 we ran before this.

Regards,
Matt
Glad to hear you enjoy me thread Boyo.

my guess'd be that the return port is only open when the feed is open and as soon as the P line port closes, so too does the T line port as it'll be a two way valve set up for a single way action.
It really needs a continually open to tank return, like a case drain line to plumb the return line into and run it two way.

I do a similar thing for my FLT mast attachment operation, but have the second side of the two way plumbed into my breaker return to tank line and the oil in the mast returns with the second way, when activated ...

'twas Mogman's suggestion ... works really well too and gives me control over the mast descent, as though it was two way, as good as ... but the mast free returns, controlled by the amount of flow to the tank drain line from the second way

' Full chat ' on the return side/second way and the mast'll drop like a brick
__________________
If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #3   IP: 81.178.214.217
Old 06-05-2018, 09:03 PM
mogman's Avatar
mogman mogman is offline
Knight of the East
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In front of me computer
Posts: 4,420
Default Re: Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

A simple way is to use the roller control to lift the weight then on the other pipe ie. the pair of pipes that is the two way service, one to the post driver the other to the return of the breaker, so get a flexible pipe made up that will plug into the breaker return and connect with the opposing fitting that gets pressurised when you drop the weight

Feck that is completed when you have to wright it down
__________________
If it an't broke adapt it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #4   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 PM
V8Druid's Avatar
V8Druid V8Druid is offline
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Posts: 15,053
Default Re: Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Glad to hear you enjoy me thread Boyo.

my guess'd be that the return port is only open when the feed is open and as soon as the P line port closes, so too does the T line port as it'll be a two way valve set up for a single way action.
It really needs a continually open to tank return, like a case drain line to plumb the return line into and run it two way.

I do a similar thing for my FLT mast attachment operation, but have the second side of the two way plumbed into my breaker return to tank line and the oil in the mast returns with the second way, when activated ...

'twas Mogman's suggestion ... works really well too and gives me control over the mast descent, as though it was two way, as good as ... but the mast free returns, controlled by the amount of flow to the tank drain line from the second way

' Full chat ' on the return side/second way and the mast'll drop like a brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
A simple way is to use the roller control to lift the weight then on the other pipe ie. the pair of pipes that is the two way service, one to the post driver the other to the return of the breaker, so get a flexible pipe made up that will plug into the breaker return and connect with the opposing fitting that gets pressurised when you drop the weight

Feck that is completed when you have to wright it down
'xactly what I said above Mog ... was your suggestion, maybe two years ago
__________________
If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5   IP: 81.155.70.57
Old 06-05-2018, 10:04 PM
jd 6820's Avatar
jd 6820 jd 6820 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 29
Default Re: Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the replies so far. I was thinking along the same lines, only thing is i'm going to have to route another line down boom for return, as the volvo has a solenoid that changes the one line running down boom to either a pressure or a button activated return i.e. hammer button pressed means line = return and if you use the roller it is a pressure if that makes sense?

Basically only two lines down boom, both pressure if you use the rocker, to use a hammer you have to flick a toggle switch which then changes one of those lines to a return. Then simply press and hold a button on joystick to operate the other line. Basically single acting, but release the button and you get a dead end. No return flow, I thought coupling up to the return, but couldn't figure out how to do it without cancelling out the pressure line during activation. Maybe tie a solenoid to the return that on releasing hammer button it opens a path to the return line??

Sorry if i'm confusing the job, but there isn't a separate return as such when you use the rocker, so maybe I should just run another line?

Regards,
Matt
Reply With Quote
  #6   IP: 85.255.236.87
Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM
cps140's Avatar
cps140 cps140 is offline
Knight of the East and West
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CO TYRONE, IRELAND
Posts: 2,771
Default Re: Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd 6820 View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the replies so far. I was thinking along the same lines, only thing is i'm going to have to route another line down boom for return, as the volvo has a solenoid that changes the one line running down boom to either a pressure or a button activated return i.e. hammer button pressed means line = return and if you use the roller it is a pressure if that makes sense?

Basically only two lines down boom, both pressure if you use the rocker, to use a hammer you have to flick a toggle switch which then changes one of those lines to a return. Then simply press and hold a button on joystick to operate the other line. Basically single acting, but release the button and you get a dead end. No return flow, I thought coupling up to the return, but couldn't figure out how to do it without cancelling out the pressure line during activation. Maybe tie a solenoid to the return that on releasing hammer button it opens a path to the return line??

Sorry if i'm confusing the job, but there isn't a separate return as such when you use the rocker, so maybe I should just run another line?

Regards,
Matt
Do you have one hose just going to the ram or 2 going to a valve block? If it's only 1 hose then it will have to be on double acting to work!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #7   IP: 81.154.6.216
Old 07-05-2018, 07:19 PM
volbar1 volbar1 is offline
Secret Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 87
Default Re: Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd 6820 View Post
Hi there,

I don't post much on here but am a regular reader, particularly the Druid's Hydrema thread. I was wondering if anyone on here operates Volvo EC55 machines? I cannot seem to get post knocker to function correctly, I've hydraulics set in single acting (Hammer mode), press the button on joystick to activate, but on releasing the weight stays raised, I am guessing because the valve is closed after releasing switch rather than opening a return passage. Any ideas how to achieve single acting? If I use the roller on top of joystick it is trying to pressurise the other double hydraulic line whilst the weight is dropped. Something i'd like to avoid as its unnecessarily loading the hydraulics, I cant believe there isn't a simple tap like the CAT 302.5 we ran before this.

Regards,
Matt
Have you got a grab mode switch? If it is in hammer mode operate the rocker switch on the top of right joystick left and right, if only works one way it is in hammer mode if it pressurises left and right you are in grab mode. I had an issue when operating my hyd pile driver on my ecr58 (which I think is more or less the same as the ec55) and I was in grab mode, ffing switch was wired wrong way!
Reply With Quote
  #8   IP: 81.155.70.57
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 PM
jd 6820's Avatar
jd 6820 jd 6820 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 29
Default Re: Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by volbar1 View Post
Have you got a grab mode switch? If it is in hammer mode operate the rocker switch on the top of right joystick left and right, if only works one way it is in hammer mode if it pressurises left and right you are in grab mode. I had an issue when operating my hyd pile driver on my ecr58 (which I think is more or less the same as the ec55) and I was in grab mode, ffing switch was wired wrong way!
Doesn't appear to work that way annoyingly. I've looked at the diagram for the hydraulics and it doesn't seem there is an option for what i'm trying to achieve. So I've come up with a solution, identical to that used by the CAT we used to have.

https://ibb.co/hSR0M7



I've added a link as the image tool doesn't seem to be working, but a simple valve should allow me to divert pressure from double acting line that isn't plumbed up when I try to return oil from the other line that is coupled if you see what I mean.

Last edited by jd 6820; 07-05-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 07-05-2018, 10:01 PM
V8Druid's Avatar
V8Druid V8Druid is offline
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Posts: 15,053
Default Re: Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps140 View Post
Do you have one hose just going to the ram or 2 going to a valve block? If it's only 1 hose then it will have to be on double acting to work!
and the second line dumping direct to tank
__________________
If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 07-05-2018, 10:05 PM
V8Druid's Avatar
V8Druid V8Druid is offline
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Posts: 15,053
Default Re: Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd 6820 View Post
Doesn't appear to work that way annoyingly. I've looked at the diagram for the hydraulics and it doesn't seem there is an option for what i'm trying to achieve. So I've come up with a solution, identical to that used by the CAT we used to have.

https://ibb.co/hSR0M7



I've added a link as the image tool doesn't seem to be working, but a simple valve should allow me to divert pressure from double acting line that isn't plumbed up when I try to return oil from the other line that is coupled if you see what I mean.
that looks like it'd do fine, to dump the second side of the service, straight to tank
__________________
If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
Partner Links



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.