The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 81.155.70.57
Old 06-05-2018, 12:13 PM

Default Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Hi there,

I don't post much on here but am a regular reader, particularly the Druid's Hydrema thread. I was wondering if anyone on here operates Volvo EC55 machines? I cannot seem to get post knocker to function correctly, I've hydraulics set in single acting (Hammer mode), press the button on joystick to activate, but on releasing the weight stays raised, I am guessing because the valve is closed after releasing switch rather than opening a return passage. Any ideas how to achieve single acting? If I use the roller on top of joystick it is trying to pressurise the other double hydraulic line whilst the weight is dropped. Something i'd like to avoid as its unnecessarily loading the hydraulics, I cant believe there isn't a simple tap like the CAT 302.5 we ran before this.

Regards,
Matt
  #2   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 06-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Volvo EC55C - Single Acting for Post Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd 6820 View Post
Hi there,

I don't post much on here but am a regular reader, particularly the Druid's Hydrema thread. I was wondering if anyone on here operates Volvo EC55 machines? I cannot seem to get post knocker to function correctly, I've hydraulics set in single acting (Hammer mode), press the button on joystick to activate, but on releasing the weight stays raised, I am guessing because the valve is closed after releasing switch rather than opening a return passage. Any ideas how to achieve single acting? If I use the roller on top of joystick it is trying to pressurise the other double hydraulic line whilst the weight is dropped. Something i'd like to avoid as its unnecessarily loading the hydraulics, I cant believe there isn't a simple tap like the CAT 302.5 we ran before this.

Regards,
Matt
Glad to hear you enjoy me thread Boyo.

my guess'd be that the return port is only open when the feed is open and as soon as the P line port closes, so too does the T line port as it'll be a two way valve set up for a single way action.
It really needs a continually open to tank return, like a case drain line to plumb the return line into and run it two way.

I do a similar thing for my FLT mast attachment operation, but have the second side of the two way plumbed into my breaker return to tank line and the oil in the mast returns with the second way, when activated ...

'twas Mogman's suggestion ... works really well too and gives me control over the mast descent, as though it was two way, as good as ... but the mast free returns, controlled by the amount of flow to the tank drain line from the second way

' Full chat ' on the return side/second way and the mast'll drop like a brick
  #3   IP: 81.178.214.217
Old 06-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Knight of the East

A simple way is to use the roller control to lift the weight then on the other pipe ie. the pair of pipes that is the two way service, one to the post driver the other to the return of the breaker, so get a flexible pipe made up that will plug into the breaker return and connect with the opposing fitting that gets pressurised when you drop the weight

Feck that is completed when you have to wright it down

If you can't buy it build it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #4   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
Glad to hear you enjoy me thread Boyo.

my guess'd be that the return port is only open when the feed is open and as soon as the P line port closes, so too does the T line port as it'll be a two way valve set up for a single way action.
It really needs a continually open to tank return, like a case drain line to plumb the return line into and run it two way.

I do a similar thing for my FLT mast attachment operation, but have the second side of the two way plumbed into my breaker return to tank line and the oil in the mast returns with the second way, when activated ...

'twas Mogman's suggestion ... works really well too and gives me control over the mast descent, as though it was two way, as good as ... but the mast free returns, controlled by the amount of flow to the tank drain line from the second way

' Full chat ' on the return side/second way and the mast'll drop like a brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
A simple way is to use the roller control to lift the weight then on the other pipe ie. the pair of pipes that is the two way service, one to the post driver the other to the return of the breaker, so get a flexible pipe made up that will plug into the breaker return and connect with the opposing fitting that gets pressurised when you drop the weight

Feck that is completed when you have to wright it down
'xactly what I said above Mog ... was your suggestion, maybe two years ago
  #5   IP: 81.155.70.57
Old 06-05-2018, 10:04 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the replies so far. I was thinking along the same lines, only thing is i'm going to have to route another line down boom for return, as the volvo has a solenoid that changes the one line running down boom to either a pressure or a button activated return i.e. hammer button pressed means line = return and if you use the roller it is a pressure if that makes sense?

Basically only two lines down boom, both pressure if you use the rocker, to use a hammer you have to flick a toggle switch which then changes one of those lines to a return. Then simply press and hold a button on joystick to operate the other line. Basically single acting, but release the button and you get a dead end. No return flow, I thought coupling up to the return, but couldn't figure out how to do it without cancelling out the pressure line during activation. Maybe tie a solenoid to the return that on releasing hammer button it opens a path to the return line??

Sorry if i'm confusing the job, but there isn't a separate return as such when you use the rocker, so maybe I should just run another line?

Regards,
Matt
  #6   IP: 85.255.236.87
Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the replies so far. I was thinking along the same lines, only thing is i'm going to have to route another line down boom for return, as the volvo has a solenoid that changes the one line running down boom to either a pressure or a button activated return i.e. hammer button pressed means line = return and if you use the roller it is a pressure if that makes sense?

Basically only two lines down boom, both pressure if you use the rocker, to use a hammer you have to flick a toggle switch which then changes one of those lines to a return. Then simply press and hold a button on joystick to operate the other line. Basically single acting, but release the button and you get a dead end. No return flow, I thought coupling up to the return, but couldn't figure out how to do it without cancelling out the pressure line during activation. Maybe tie a solenoid to the return that on releasing hammer button it opens a path to the return line??

Sorry if i'm confusing the job, but there isn't a separate return as such when you use the rocker, so maybe I should just run another line?

Regards,
Matt
Do you have one hose just going to the ram or 2 going to a valve block? If it's only 1 hose then it will have to be on double acting to work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #7   IP: 81.154.6.216
Old 07-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Secret Master

Quote:
Hi there,

Regards,
Matt
Have you got a grab mode switch? If it is in hammer mode operate the rocker switch on the top of right joystick left and right, if only works one way it is in hammer mode if it pressurises left and right you are in grab mode. I had an issue when operating my hyd pile driver on my ecr58 (which I think is more or less the same as the ec55) and I was in grab mode, ffing switch was wired wrong way!
  #8   IP: 81.155.70.57
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volbar1 View Post
Have you got a grab mode switch? If it is in hammer mode operate the rocker switch on the top of right joystick left and right, if only works one way it is in hammer mode if it pressurises left and right you are in grab mode. I had an issue when operating my hyd pile driver on my ecr58 (which I think is more or less the same as the ec55) and I was in grab mode, ffing switch was wired wrong way!
Doesn't appear to work that way annoyingly. I've looked at the diagram for the hydraulics and it doesn't seem there is an option for what i'm trying to achieve. So I've come up with a solution, identical to that used by the CAT we used to have.

https://ibb.co/hSR0M7

I've added a link as the image tool doesn't seem to be working, but a simple valve should allow me to divert pressure from double acting line that isn't plumbed up when I try to return oil from the other line that is coupled if you see what I mean.

Last edited by jd 6820; 07-05-2018 at 09:01 PM.
  #9   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 07-05-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cps140 View Post
Do you have one hose just going to the ram or 2 going to a valve block? If it's only 1 hose then it will have to be on double acting to work!
and the second line dumping direct to tank
  #10   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 07-05-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Doesn't appear to work that way annoyingly. I've looked at the diagram for the hydraulics and it doesn't seem there is an option for what i'm trying to achieve. So I've come up with a solution, identical to that used by the CAT we used to have.

https://ibb.co/hSR0M7

I've added a link as the image tool doesn't seem to be working, but a simple valve should allow me to divert pressure from double acting line that isn't plumbed up when I try to return oil from the other line that is coupled if you see what I mean.
that looks like it'd do fine, to dump the second side of the service, straight to tank