The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Photos

#111   IP: 109.154.44.127
Old 16-02-2016, 10:56 PM
Knight of the East and West

Default Re: Plant, Projects, Fixes and Fiascos

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
tidy looking job there James ...... takes some sussing out, all the geometry, eh!!
Thanks Gra, your not wrong! Surpring how much time it's taken to get it all together to be honest, but if your gonna do it then its gotta be right I wouldn't suit your usual Dumptruck environment I suppose, but will be ideal in our situation I think.

Last edited by Shovelhands; 16-02-2016 at 11:08 PM.
  #112   IP: 86.169.129.121
Old 17-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhands View Post
After the brake overhaul I had quite a few used Pistons out of the callipers, ideal i thought, so got them in the lathe and shaped them up....my kind of recycling
never seen a quicky tool post like that before, on a Colchester (Triumph 2000?) lathe James? Looks a real unusual set up.
  #113   IP: 86.170.119.58
Old 17-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Perfect Master

Quote:
never seen a quicky tool post like that before, on a Colchester (Triumph 2000?) lathe James? Looks a real unusual set up.
It's a Multifix toolpost, very nice setup.
I've been researching purchasing a toolpost and can't decide between one of those and an aloris wedge lock( type), genuine Aloris is out of my budget.
  #114   IP: 109.154.44.127
Old 17-02-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Well spotted Gra , yep a Triumph 2000, "the world turns on Colchester lathes"!

The tool post was on it when I got the lathe, can't remember the name of it off the top of me head , I have bought extra tool holders for it, so it can't be that unusual, I will see if I can find the name of it, just for curiosities sake!

She's a good old lathe, it came for north Wales actually, an eBay purchase, tbh it could do with a bed re-grind to make right, there's a little wear from previous users who lacked an oil can , and it's probably worth doing, but I wouldn't know how much it would cost?
There's obviously a little wear in other bits , nothing major, it's the bed that's the problem if you were trying to be super accurate,but fine for bushes and pins ect.
I've just put a new chuck on it, as the old one was worn, probably a quality item in its day but I could never get anything properly cantered in it, and if you turned something and took it out and wanted to put it back in again you were knackered! New one much better, if only a cheapie.
  #115   IP: 109.154.44.127
Old 17-02-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicurly View Post
It's a Multifix toolpost, very nice setup.
I've been researching purchasing a toolpost and can't decide between one of those and an aloris wedge lock( type), genuine Aloris is out of my budget.
That's it, you got it! Multifix!

I think it's great, change tool in seconds or tool position, clamps solid easily and never moves and changing tool height is a doddle
  #116   IP: 78.149.142.255
Old 17-02-2016, 07:49 PM

Looks a good quality job James. We have built some silt truck bodies with an underslung air ram that locks the tailgate when shut. Ours works on a mechanically operated air valve that automatically unlocks the tail gate as the body rises. Have you put your design on a sequence valve so as it opens before the body rises ? I would say it is imperative that the gate opens automatically. One day someone will forget to open it first and the next thing they'll be laying on their side in the cab.
  #117   IP: 86.169.129.121
Old 17-02-2016, 07:50 PM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhands View Post
Well spotted Gra , yep a Triumph 2000, "the world turns on Colchester lathes"!

The tool post was on it when I got the lathe, can't remember the name of it off the top of me head , I have bought extra tool holders for it, so it can't be that unusual, I will see if I can find the name of it, just for curiosities sake!

She's a good old lathe, it came for north Wales actually, an eBay purchase, tbh it could do with a bed re-grind to make right, there's a little wear from previous users who lacked an oil can , and it's probably worth doing, but I wouldn't know how much it would cost?
There's obviously a little wear in other bits , nothing major, it's the bed that's the problem if you were trying to be super accurate,but fine for bushes and pins ect.
I've just put a new chuck on it, as the old one was worn, probably a quality item in its day but I could never get anything properly cantered in it, and if you turned something and took it out and wanted to put it back in again you were knackered! New one much better, if only a cheapie.
Haven't heard that one in a while James

The gear change dials are the give-away ...... for Colchesters of that series and by the size of it, it was going to be the Triumph 2000 !!

Have had a couple, over the years!!

The tool holder is pretty standard item, it's the odd shape post that caught my eye ..... real strange shape and looks to only be able to carry the one holder at a time?

What was wrong with the chuck? Usually a Pratt Bernerd on a 600 group machine .... seeing as they now own PBs .... could used to have 'em re-con.-ed for sensible amounts ..... subject to what was nadgered, of course

wouldn't even want to guess at a regrind cost for the bed ways though.... or where to start inquiring these days!!
  #118   IP: 109.154.44.127
Old 17-02-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxcavator. View Post
Looks a good quality job James. We have built some silt truck bodies with an underslung air ram that locks the tailgate when shut. Ours works on a mechanically operated air valve that automatically unlocks the tail gate as the body rises. Have you put your design on a sequence valve so as it opens before the body rises ? I would say it is imperative that the gate opens automatically. One day someone will forget to open it first and the next thing they'll be laying on their side in the cab.
Thanks Tim

I thought about latches, locking pins, air operated, oil operated ect ect, and if it were a swinging tailgate then it would have been easier and latches would have been the way to go. But being cantilever my worry was that it had to be fail safe, and impossible for the body to lift without the latches being released or it would break the chains, the latches also would have to really get hold of the tailgate, as a simple flip up type ( like the old ones had) could easily be overcome by the tailgate I thought, I had planned a way of doing it, but I was getting more and more complicated with sensors, switches and valves! And if something went wrong it would be a pian at the least, if it really went wrong it could tip and break the chains!
Thats when I decided to use cylinders to lift and lock the tailgate, the worst that could happen is it wouldn't open and the load gets tipped over the top of the tailgate, no big deal, nothing broken.
My intention and theory was to tee into the supply for the lift cylinders and when the body is tipped it would favour the easier route and lift the tailgate first, no clever valve or switches. Drop the body, power the leaver forward to close the tailgate and bobs your uncle...in theory! But I also have check valves on the tailgate cylinders, to ensure it stays shut.
As you know the supply to the lift cylinders is 1" pipe, I have used 1/2" hose to the tailgate cylinders teeing to 3/8" , as the check valves are 3/8". My thinking was, if I was lucky there would be sufficient flow to lift the body and lift the tailgate simultaneously. And to a degree this is working, but only when fully loaded, and even then not fully every time. Looking into it now I think the flow rate of gate check valves is too low, so I have had some 1/2" ones delivered today, that have over twice the flow rate of the current ones, I will fit them tomorrow. I am hoping this will give a more reliable lift to the tailgate and retain a degree of simultaneous movement with the body lift! Trial error in a way, but I'm very close to getting it right as it is.

Re-read your post Tim , good point about tipping without the tailgate open, in the wrong hands moving the right material it could be an issue, however the lime we shift with it generally is quite wet, and would spill over the top and not pose too much of a problem. But I hope to make it open every time, if that means adding a sequential valve of some sort then I will, like I said I'm working it out as I go......winging it as usual!

James

Last edited by Shovelhands; 17-02-2016 at 08:59 PM.
  #119   IP: 78.149.142.255
Old 17-02-2016, 09:03 PM

James my most important point, I think you have missed. You must ensure the gate opens before the load shifts in any great amount or the cab will tip over on it's side ! especially if you are relying on the operator to open the tailgate separately before tipping. Our tail gates on our silt trucks are free swinging, the air ram clamps it shut, no chains no cables.
  #120   IP: 109.154.44.127
Old 17-02-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Haven't heard that one in a while James

The gear change dials are the give-away ...... for Colchesters of that series and by the size of it, it was going to be the Triumph 2000 !!

Have had a couple, over the years!!

The tool holder is pretty standard item, it's the odd shape post that caught my eye ..... real strange shape and looks to only be able to carry the one holder at a time?

What was wrong with the chuck? Usually a Pratt Bernerd on a 600 group machine .... seeing as they now own PBs .... could used to have 'em re-con.-ed for sensible amounts ..... subject to what was nadgered, of course

wouldn't even want to guess at a regrind cost for the bed ways though.... or where to start inquiring these days!!
That slogan always makes me chuckle, and as they were only made up the road I always wanted a Colchester lathe.

Yes get only one tool on the post at a time, but change it in seconds, and there's no other tools round the post while working. Im happy with it, but I'm no expert.

Can't remember the make of the chuck, you may well be right, it could be a Pratt? It may be fixable, may be an option? It operated perfectly, ie it moved ok, it just wouldn't hold anything dead centre, if you had something in the chuck , turned it, removed it and tried putting it back in, it was virtually impossible to get it to run true again. It may have been the amateur using it, but I've not had any trouble with the new chuck
I would like to repair it if it were economical, I have made a bit of a boob and put a 325mm chuck on it, the original was 250, to get a decent size bore and make best use of it, in my excitement I didn't consider the minimum holding size and now have a chuck that won't hold anything under 12mm , I rarely need to hold anything that small, but annoying that I can't if I wanted to, so will either have to add another new smaller chuck to the arsenal or as you suggest, get mine refurbed?

Last edited by Shovelhands; 17-02-2016 at 09:38 PM.