The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#11   IP: 83.205.159.196
Old 16-11-2017, 12:53 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Default Re: Hookloaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Druid View Post
I think Minty meant look at using traccies/dump trailers as a legit method, not as a dodge .....
for limited distance/usage I could see a lot of advantages over a truck, be more flexible and would/could probably be utilised far more on the job too
Tractors and trailers wont work for Groundworks over here for me.

Tractor would be more useful on the job without a doubt but less useful for quarry runs for aggregates etc and on balance I think the wagon option would suit my work better at this time.
  #12   IP: 92.28.194.101
Old 16-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Grand Master Architect

I know traccies are a can of worms and not for everyone but thought it worth a mention.

How you run them legally is probably for another thread anyway.

I have heard of bed height being a problem with hookloaders before. Another alternative might be a plant trailer on the back of a standard tipper but I think the trucks tare weight is a limiting factor there.

With the iveco it was really the limitation of the 6 speed box rather than the engine power. Trucks back in the day were often around 10bhp/tonne or less but coupled to sensible gearing you could manage. I drove a 30t Constructor 265 (Rolls engine) which could go most places on tickover if you wanted it to but I had to really make the clutch stink to get off some jobs with the 180/18.
  #13   IP: 82.20.117.30
Old 16-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Intimate Secretary

i have a 07 renault midlum 190 10ton multilift hookloader bit gutless considering i had a daf lf 170 that was much more powerful
  #14   IP: 86.138.19.78
Old 17-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Knight of the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
How you run them legally is probably for another thread anyway.
With some legwork, common sense and form filling it's possible to run a nice outfit.... works out the same cost as a lorry, but ultimately it's down to the individual to research it as there are too many Naysayers and mouth runners on social media who will immediately shoot the matter down without actually knowing the full law themselves.

Does'nt help that the Red Diesel/Road Licensing/Roadworthiness and Driver Licensing are managed by about 5 different government departments.... with each one singing a different tune.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I guess she's scared that life won't leave any traces, kind of like everyone else. But that's not the point anyway"
  #15   IP: 83.205.159.196
Old 17-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient excavations View Post
i have a 07 renault midlum 190 10ton multilift hookloader bit gutless considering i had a daf lf 170 that was much more powerful
Cheers for that - PITA if they are gutless and one of the trucks I was looking at is a 2006 Renault Midlum 180.12

So might steer clear if they are a bit gutless.

There are some Iveco 120E18 and Merc Atego 1218's about.