The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#1   IP: 109.156.200.58
Old 10-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Secret Master

Default Pickup truck review

As the title suggests. In your experience what do you think of your pickup truck?
Thinking of getting one 2 or 3 years old for general use soon.
Occasional use to tow the mini digger (with 100km radius)
One that seems to 'tick the boxes' is a Isuzu D-Max...
.....what do guys think of this one?
Or any others like a Toyota Hi-Ace, Ford Ranger etc etc
  #2   IP: 92.30.4.85
Old 10-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Default Re: Pickup truck review

Toyota all the way. The reliability is second to none. Resale value always good too. I have had several over the years. Went on to troopers then shoguns .... back to a hilux just having it's first test next week. 75k on the clock never had more than service and tyres....
  #3   IP: 86.168.22.37
Old 10-03-2016, 06:54 PM
Sublime Master Elected

i had a navara d22 few years back,that was a good truck but they did have trouble with the diffs.the new ones have a pipe somewhere which i think is an aircon drain,its tucked into the chasis and rots it out very quickly so that needs pulling out .someone i know has recently had a few on demo and has gone for the ranger,father inlaw had isuzu and ranger he swears the ranger was much better.
  #4   IP: 86.168.22.37
Old 10-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Sublime Master Elected

i have a toyota dina 3.5 ton tipper atm 50k miles and as trax says service and tyres and thats it,cant ask for more
  #5   IP: 149.12.6.178
Old 10-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Intendant of the Building

The 3.2L Ranger is an awesome truck, just cant tow 3.5t Izuzu D-Max is a twin turbo set up, goes well but needs revs! Bit basic inside, the ford shares parts from the focus so is quite well made whereas the plastics in the D-Max seem a bit hollow and cheap. Good working truck though. The hilux is a dependable choice as has been said but I'm not sure its the best of the bunch anymore - needs refreshing.

I have a 62 plate Navara, its been a good truck but not sure its as tough as I'd like it to be. Too much towing and I cant see the engine and gearbox liking it too much. Again needs revs to get the power. New Navara out now, will have to see how it goes?

It would be between the Ranger and the D-Max for me if I had to replace mine now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #6   IP: 86.168.22.37
Old 10-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Sublime Master Elected

father in law used to tow a trailer every day for 5 months a year,he says the ranger had much more go in it for overtaking and was more comfortable on long trips
  #7   IP: 80.247.29.56
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Intimate Secretary

Got a Dmax Yukon here, use it for towing my race car and occasionally heavier stuff. Went for a manual as I'm not a fan of autos. Dont like the back end of the Rangers and the Amarok towing capacity(or lack of) put me off.
  #8   IP: 195.99.58.203
Old 10-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieGunns View Post
The 3.2L Ranger is an awesome truck, just cant tow 3.5t Izuzu D-Max is a twin turbo set up, goes well but needs revs! Bit basic inside, the ford shares parts from the focus so is quite well made whereas the plastics in the D-Max seem a bit hollow and cheap. Good working truck though.

It would be between the Ranger and the D-Max for me if I had to replace mine now.
I have an Isuzu D-max and a Ford Ranger 3.2 auto. Agree about the Isuzu, bit basic, but think you need your Ranger looked at. I tow around the 3.5t mark all the time (12500 miles since December) and it pulls it fantastically. So much better than any of my Defenders did. Would recommend a 3.2 Ranger every time. Not the 2.2 though absolutely gutless.
Graham
  #9   IP: 86.7.227.236
Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Intendant of the Building

Driven a few pick ups never really like the hilux there overrated in my opinion
Got a l200 warrior does well for me biggest thing that swung it for me is that it is a proper 4x4 unlike all the other pickup you can use it in 4x4 full time anywhere you want

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #10   IP: 81.147.99.222
Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Wonder what pick up id say.

Everyone says about trucks been gutless and i still have a mk4 hilux(98bph) out towing, and until last week the mk5 (102bhp) was out towing other day and was only swapped as i bagged a nice deal on a 3 yr old mk6.
My own mk6 lux is only 120bhp and that doesnt bat an eyelid towing and that is everyday.

As before you think im biased ive had the 2.5 and 3.0 ranger which were more a comfy drive but provided lots of sitting time whilst been repaired.

Ive borrowed navaras and none of those stood out in the towing department.

Id go hilux any day, just a shame they have been tame on the plated towing weights.