The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#1   IP: 5.80.103.172
Old 19-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Intendant of the Building

Default Digital tacho operator

What is everyone using for downloading and checking their digital tacho cards?
I had to attend a DVSA seminar this week as a new operator and they are pushing home the requirements for keeping records is there an easy system for the download and storage and also checking of the data, there are only 2 of us that drive the truck and only 2 or three times a week for short journeys. DVSA recommend spending at least 8 hours per week doing TM duties be lucky it we have the truck out for 8 hours a week
  #2   IP: 31.49.234.24
Old 19-11-2016, 09:22 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

Default Re: Digital tacho operator

I take it you have a Digi tacho? (Stupid question) one of the main reasons I don't drive any other lorrys (despite being asked) is that I would have to get a Digi card and download it frequently.

What size is the truck and what do you use it for?

When I was on the seminar I asked lots of questions relating to paperwork and the fact the lorry does two or three hours a week.... the response was they wanted to see the lorry is maintained properly and that the driver is not going over hours, which in our case (though we still use tachos) a logbook or calendar was more important as I spend most my working time outside of the lorry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #3   IP: 5.80.103.172
Old 19-11-2016, 01:18 PM
Intendant of the Building

[QUOTE=JD450A;147868] one of the main reasons I don't drive any other lorrys (despite being asked) is that I would have to get a Digi card and download it frequently.

QUOTE]

I was under the impression even if your truck and any truck you drive had an analogue tacho you are still required to carry a drivers digital tacho card. I realise this is naff but the commissioner informed us it is required as a means to prove you were not driving other trucks for somebody else.? I'm not sure how this would prove it if the other truck was also analogue but hey ho.

It's a seven and a half tonner we have and we deliver materials and also carry tools and equipment to jobs. generally local but we have had a dozen or so trips 200mile radius from our premis this year.

Last edited by quattromike; 19-11-2016 at 01:26 PM.
  #4   IP: 79.79.204.176
Old 19-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Master Elect of Nine

The commissioners were up here two weeks ago stopped a local driver delivering feeding stuff first question he was asked for was his digi card he didn't have it on him but had log book etc, he got banned from driving for rest of the day as no proof he hadn't been driving other lorries for the last week, if he had his card it was no problem as could check easily, he also got done for an insecure load as he had four small bales of hay inside the curtainsider not strapped down,as it has normal curtains on it not load restraining ones
  #5   IP: 109.147.204.118
Old 19-11-2016, 03:25 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan caddy View Post
The commissioners were up here two weeks ago stopped a local driver ................
Interesting. I have my digi card with me in my wallet although I very, very rarely move, let alone drive an LGV these days, its not something I had considered.

As for the bales, that seems a bit harsh but having gone to the effort of getting themselves there, I suppose they needed something to show for it

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #6   IP: 213.205.232.88
Old 19-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

As the law stands mike its not a requirement to own a digi card. But without one you cannot drive a lorry with digital tachograph. I would personally be ringing up the traffic commisioners office to query whether you could operate on domestic rules with the longer/occasional trips falling under EU regs. I have found them to be very helpful and clear in the past so well worth a call.

I don't possess a digi card and won't until I own a lorry with digi tacho. You should by rights keep all your previous two weeks tachos with you as proof of hours.

#7   IP: 86.149.150.179
Old 19-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Sublime Master Elected

When I did the operators seminar, I stopped behind and had a chat with the guy at the end as I wasn't 100% sure on hours etc, and I was told for my situation I would rarely hit drivers hours and would be under working time directive most of the time, also as long as I kept a log of my hours outside of those recorded on the tacho chart I would be fine.
  #8   IP: 81.147.96.1
Old 19-11-2016, 06:48 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Apologies for the slight change in subject here, but do any of you boys run an o licence from your house?

There are 2 round here that do. Restricted licence and hours they can start or finish, and both only 7.5 tonners.

Just wondering if it is a common thing.
  #9   IP: 31.49.234.24
Old 19-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Our office address is home, yard where the lorry is kept is different.

#10   IP: 5.65.39.96
Old 19-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Our office address is home, yard where the lorry is kept is different.
Same here on that one.

Tags
lorry, operators licence, transport, truck