The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Commercial Vehicles

#11   IP: 31.54.244.59
Old 20-11-2016, 01:57 AM
Intendant of the Building

Default Re: Digital tacho operator

Not a lot use digi card readers by the sounds of it. I'm thinking even if we run under domestic hours we still need to get the digi cards down loaded. I'll have to just look online and pick the best looking setup
  #12   IP: 86.179.148.25
Old 20-11-2016, 10:16 AM
Secret Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
As the law stands mike its not a requirement to own a digi card. But without one you cannot drive a lorry with digital tachograph. I would personally be ringing up the traffic commisioners office to query whether you could operate on domestic rules with the longer/occasional trips falling under EU regs. I have found them to be very helpful and clear in the past so well worth a call.

I don't possess a digi card and won't until I own a lorry with digi tacho. You should by rights keep all your previous two weeks tachos with you as proof of hours.
Sorry Rory slightly incorrect on your last point(s)
"be able to produce at the roadside:
charts and any legally required manual records for the current day and the previous 28 calendar days
the driverís digital smart card if they hold one"
This is from the GV262 guide - very useful
Just done my Driver CPC second phase of training for "Drivers Hours and Tachographs" (second time round)
Cos I also drive a 44T wagon on grain a few days a week
So for me I have to carry my last months Tacho Charts, Digi Card and my Diary of other work etc...
  #13   IP: 31.49.234.24
Old 20-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

Happily accept to being wrong on that one Oaker, Could remember it was a requirement to have the paperwork but couldn't remember quite how long for. I just leave mine in the lorry for a month or two, then transfer it to the office for the specified period, then the fire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."

Last edited by JD450A; 20-11-2016 at 10:23 AM.
  #14   IP: 188.122.48.214
Old 21-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Intimate Secretary

We pay the RHA. So on the last day of the month we download to a digidown (just plugs into tacho.) We do it with the drivers cards in and also do one with a company card in for the complete vehicle head. Then plug it in the usb in the office and it downloads to the RHA. A few days later the reports come back with any issues at the end of the report that drivers need to look at, write down a reason and sign. I think it is about 13pence a day.
  #15   IP: 86.167.245.241
Old 22-11-2016, 10:55 PM

That sounds quite reasonable. Are you a member of the rha for that?
  #16   IP: 188.122.48.214
Old 23-11-2016, 08:16 AM
Intimate Secretary

Yes we are. Need to be with this haulage job.
  #17   IP: 82.37.123.129
Old 27-11-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattromike View Post
What is everyone using for downloading and checking their digital tacho cards?
I had to attend a DVSA seminar this week as a new operator and they are pushing home the requirements for keeping records is there an easy system for the download and storage and also checking of the data, there are only 2 of us that drive the truck and only 2 or three times a week for short journeys. DVSA recommend spending at least 8 hours per week doing TM duties be lucky it we have the truck out for 8 hours a week
Hey up, if your still stuggling send me a private message with your number and I'll get our lass to talk you through the best and cheapest way to do it. Also don't forget if you do run on domestic rules you still need to download the tacho head.
  #18   IP: 31.50.134.90
Old 11-12-2017, 09:07 PM

Believe it or not we still don't have ourselves sorted out with this record keeping malarkey! Just been speaking with one of our neighbours with a truck and he's beeen stopped and done for 12 counts of not recording breaks. Some times even for moving the truck 0.76km one day and didn't have a record of his break times that day. I keep thinking there will be a simple solution to this but looks like I need to buy a box of pens and start filling out daily rest and rest times
  #19   IP: 86.138.19.252
Old 11-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

IMHO if I get stopped and done for Breaks or Insecure load I shall be gunning for a court appearance. Don't honestly thing DVSA know and enforce the rules properly atm... Hearing lots of slap on the wrist £100 fines atm which I don't honestly believe would stand up in court

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #20   IP: 31.50.134.90
Old 11-12-2017, 09:19 PM

I was told by the instructor during my transport managers CPC that they pluck rules and regulations out of the sky when they charge you at the side of the road. As you've said they have to abide by the written laws and not the ones they think should be.
He reckoned so many people were getting done for using a mobile phone when driving but the law is "do not operate a hand held electronic devise while driving" believe it or not there is a difference. Most vehicles not have hands free/ Bluetooth built in nowadays.

Tags
lorry, operators licence, transport, truck