The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 31.185.213.2
Old 03-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Does red diesel go off?

I've been having a sort out today and came across five Jerry cans of red diesel. I filled these about 18 months ago when moving my plastic tank and for some unknown reason the got put with the oil and forgotten. I know petrol doesn't last, especially if it has two stroke oil in it, but not sure about diesel. As it is about 100 litres I would rather use it than not.
Does anyone know if it deteriorates with age?
Thanks
Graham
  #2   IP: 31.49.68.25
Old 03-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Knight of the East and West

Default Re: Does red diesel go off?

I'd use it, father would have a fit if i suggested NOT using it

I don't think any fuel last as long as it used to, now red has bio in it then it's not going to 'keep' as well as it used to.

If there's any doubt with it, then put a few gallons in a machine and fill the rest with fresh. And if you've got any old school diesels, I.e. nothing common rail, with a Cat or DPF, then stick it in that, it's likely to not be so fussy.

Last edited by Shovelhands; 03-05-2017 at 08:21 PM.
  #3   IP: 87.112.240.160
Old 03-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Elect of Fifteen

When I installed my Lister TS3 standby set in 1987 I filled a 250 gallon tank with red and, at a guess there's 200 gallons left and she starts on the button.
But then Listers are pretty tolerant and it was before the days of bio additives which are what give the issues with the current brew of red.!
  #4   IP: 86.158.219.51
Old 03-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Knight of the East

Use it in an A plant machine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #5   IP: 31.185.213.2
Old 03-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Use it in an A plant machine
It had crossed my mind.
  #6   IP: 31.185.213.2
Old 03-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Had a brand new JCB 85 on hire from A plant Monday and Tuesday. First time out, had to remove the plastic from the seat. Very smooth and precise hydraulics and good reach, but I wouldn't buy one. The geometry of the boom to dipper was appalling. You couldn't get within a metre of the boom, so I couldn't grade up to the track over the side. As I was balanced on a narrow platform I couldn't get any further way so had to finish by hand.
Also starting was a nightmare. Deadman arm up, turn key to first position, key in code, Turn key to start, deadman arm down, press switch to activate controls, press another switch to turn off overload alarm, press another switch to turn off eco mode, retune radio. In the end just left it going all day.
Graham
  #7   IP: 149.254.186.174
Old 03-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
............ The geometry of the boom to dipper was appalling. You couldn't get within a metre of the boom, so I couldn't grade up to the track over the side. As I was balanced on a narrow platform I couldn't get any further way so had to finish by hand.
Also starting was a nightmare. Deadman arm up, turn key to first position, key in code, Turn key to start, deadman arm down, press switch to activate controls, press another switch to turn off overload alarm, press another switch to turn off eco mode, retune radio. In the end just left it going all day.
Your obviously doing it wrong mate

I heard this week of someone managing to do an awful lot of expensive damage to one of those due the bucket chewing lumps of pipework, metal and associated bits out of itself

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #8   IP: 31.185.213.2
Old 03-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
Your obviously doing it wrong mate

I heard this week of someone managing to do an awful lot of expensive damage to one of those due the bucket chewing lumps of pipework, metal and associated bits out of itself
I guess it is possible A plant have them set up to stop contact. Even crowded round I was nowhere near, although I was only using a grading bucket.
Graham
  #9   IP: 82.20.150.176
Old 05-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Lumpy quick hitch and over sized digging bucket with teeth may change the working parameters a bit!!

#10   IP: 31.49.119.206
Old 06-05-2017, 01:19 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Well it never used to .....

had a 10,000 ltr tankful of red from a job, many years ago, that was 30+ yrs old and all my gear ran sweet enough on it, for a reasonable while ..... 'til it ran out, anyway

may be some mileage in a few of the comments about 'modern' diesel though, so don't really know these days ..... I know petrol don't last long, sat about, anymore!!