The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EXTRAS > Photos

#341   IP: 109.148.62.97
Old 13-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Default Re: Various Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorcx130 View Post
........ with such a big dipper and small bucket it's to be expected I suppose. ..................... cut the ram off the trailer and threw it back on its wheels with a loading shovel...............was a good wake up call for how quick things can go wrong.
Great update mate. Some impressive quantities getting shifted which means a lot of machinery movements which by law of averages leaves you wide open to an "incident". Most important thing as you say, nobody hurt. Metal will straighten, glass will replace. Bodies are less forgiving and carry a lot of guilt.

Hopefully that incident focused a lot of minds and was a timely reminder of just how easily and quickly it can go pear shaped.

Showing the experience you have gained, understanding how the wrong configuration of equipment (long boom, long dipper, small bucket) can effect productivity in an environment.

Keep it coming mate, always very interesting

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #342   IP: 5.38.28.14
Old 13-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Rob to be honest I've been waiting with dread for it to happen these drivers just have no concept in safety or even spatial awareness and are only worried about making their quota. I can't tell you how many times I've gone nuts as they tip side by side mirrors nearly touching the next truck. Sitting in that interview room with 2 big Arab lads in uniform sat opposite me well let's just say I wouldn't liked to have been there had something more serious happened.
  #343   IP: 86.158.219.51
Old 13-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Could you not find a lower bench to site that long boom Cat on where it can use that boom to better effect and put a smaller M/E configured machine on that reasonably high bench?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #344   IP: 109.148.62.97
Old 13-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorcx130 View Post
?.....I've gone nuts as they tip side by side mirrors nearly touching the next truck.
There is a picture on web I saw in last week or so of the domino effect, 4 trucks iirc when one went and took others with it, all 3/4 tipped side by side

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

#345   IP: 50.66.244.137
Old 13-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Knight of the East and West

I've always hated using tractor-trailer semi's for hauling muck in the past with the crap we had back home if you had any much hang up near the top when the box is up it could be tippy enough for it to flip. Had it happen to a friend of mine he wasn't hurt but the box was a bit bent and I think the cylinder was broken. Luckily the king pin broke when it went over so the tractor stayed upright. And then the other reason I hate them was because if you had to back them in to the jobsite to be loaded it always took forever to shoehorn them in and they always had to be on good ground as the weight of all that muck would sink them in. And these days those trailers are built more for hauling crushed and screened gravel than for hauling precarious materials like clay and muck or even demolition debris.
Do those Cat 390's you have over there have any of the Tier 4 emissions b.s. on them? I ran a couple of them on an oil sands job and a couple of them were always have problems with codes popping up.
  #346   IP: 31.185.213.2
Old 13-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasRob View Post
There is a picture on web I saw in last week or so of the domino effect, 4 trucks iirc when one went and took others with it, all 3/4 tipped side by side
I makes you wonder why there aren't more ejector body trucks used. Lots of tips now only allow one lorry at a time to tip to reduce the risk, but it leads to queues.
I'm sure Earthmovers had an article on ejector bodied dump trucks not that long ago. They worked out cheaper to build and faster cycle times. I guess people don't like change.
Graham
  #347   IP: 81.147.99.180
Old 13-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Ejectors work fine as a dump truck but are no good as a tipper lorry.
  #348   IP: 86.158.219.51
Old 13-05-2017, 10:40 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
I'm sure Earthmovers had an article on ejector bodied dump trucks not that long ago. They worked out cheaper to build and faster cycle times. I guess people don't like change.
Graham
Issue with ejectors is material build up behind the ejector plate, particularly with sludgy stuff. Pretty sure it's the same on scrapers requiring the occasional clean/dig out.

Be grand on the Sand tho you'd think?

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #349   IP: 105.66.5.77
Old 14-05-2017, 01:50 AM
Perfect Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
Issue with ejectors is material build up behind the ejector plate, particularly with sludgy stuff. Pretty sure it's the same on scrapers requiring the occasional clean/dig out.

Be grand on the Sand tho you'd think?
I have never experienced any build up behind the ejector on scrapers, it is pretty open back there so the ejector would or should cear anything as it returned.
I have never run a truck so can't comment on them.
  #350   IP: 50.66.244.137
Old 14-05-2017, 05:05 AM
Knight of the East and West

I've worked on jobs with Cat 740 ejector trucks and build up behind the plate isn't a problem as that area is open in case anything gets behind there or if the cylinder or the hoses need repair. They work quite well anywhere a regular ADT will work but I have heard that freezing temperatures means that wet soil can freeze up the rollers at the top of the ejector mechanism. I think the main reason they haven't become common place is because they are more expensive than a normal ADT.