The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#6051   IP: 81.147.100.200
Old 14-01-2018, 10:20 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Default Re: Druidís New Duck Ė í99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
I've been jap for years but 6 years ago got a defender and not regretted it yet.

Why can't we have a land cruiser pickup with a 7t train weight over here? I'd be all over one like a rash
You can buy them as imports but they are eyewatering compared to other 4x4s. A lot of pick ups now claim a 3.5t towing capacity but are so low on train weight that if you put 3 sarnies in your lunch box you are over.
  #6052   IP: 92.28.204.31
Old 14-01-2018, 10:36 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I know you can get them here but the ones I've seen are under 7t and they are quite a heavy truck.

I had an import Isuzu for a time but it had no plate showing axle weights etc. I'd be looking at this specifically if I ever bought myself another from outside uk. Also if they're coming from oz or other similar climates would they have the necessary rot protection we need here?
  #6053   IP: 81.129.58.150
Old 14-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Perfect Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
05 plate Ranger.... If I can't break it nor can you!
Iíve got one of those too - 55 plate last of the old shape (basically a Mazda). Fantastic truck - ours has been horrendously abused, is now on 175k miles (I bought it cheap at 100k and itís had a very hard Ďretirementí), it tows 2.5 tonne daily (it is not the fastest, but keeps on trucking!), and spends a lot of time off road. Honestly the best value for money vehicle Iíve ever bought - there is nothing newer that can replace it that Iím aware of.
We need the land cruiser pickups available pretty much everywhere else in the world (I think they call them the 78 series). Super basic, super strong. Now the Defender has gone there is not really anything else similar on the market. I know you can get them through various channels but they are bonkers money when bought that way - you could easily have 2 other similar pickups (with 5 year warranty etc etc).
Iíve currently got the new Navara and have to say it is brilliant - it would soon look a real mess if you werenít very careful with the bodywork though (eg reaching into the rear tub over the sides can quickly lead to dents and scratches). Iíll sell it before the warranty runs out though.
  #6054   IP: 86.164.197.0
Old 14-01-2018, 11:43 PM
Intimate Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
A lot of pick ups now claim a 3.5t towing capacity but are so low on train weight that if you put 3 sarnies in your lunch box you are over.
Got a Dmax myself, saw a post on isuzu Facebook group that you can uprate to 3500kg gvw (and i assume 7t gtw?) but have to add airbags on rear.
  #6055   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 15-01-2018, 12:54 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDave View Post
In Australia Toyota Hilux's are the biggest selling vehicle in the country bar none! They sell more Hilux's here than any model of car, SUV etc.

Hilux's are the benchmark for reliability, all round performance and you can get parts anywhere in the country including the outback. Even old Hilux's with over 400,000km on the clock attract good money and the range of mods, accessories etc from third parties is massive.

On the other hand the record for unreliable vehicles in Australia is held by Land Rover followed by Jeep. Needless to say these vehicles can be found on Gumtree selling for peanuts compared to the Hilux.
Needless to say I have been a Hilux owner for the last 15 years and have a couple of other Toyota's as well including a Hino truck. I can vouch for their toughness & reliability and I often use my Toyota Echo as a heavy equipment service vehicle due to it's toughness, reliability, economy and it's so light it rarely gets stuck, and if it does it's easy to debog.

Generally owners of Range Rovers and Jeeps in Australia are collectively called wankers. No offence meant guys Their owners are suburban types from better off suburbs and they use their vehicles for shopping and picking up the kids from school. No one dares take them off road or more than 50km from their respective dealership/service centre. When they do give trouble it can take weeks to diagnose/repair/get parts or give up and put it on Gumtree for parts. If you have these vehicles in the UK it would be wise to sell before the word gets out and they are worth only scrap. (There can be plenty of aluminium in some of the Land Rover vehicles so they are worth a bit for scrap)

AusDave
well that's given me a bloody good laugh Dave .... and no offence taken mate ...... also known as Chelsea Tractors here

No disputing the Hilux's a bloody good truck

SWMBO wouldn't be too impressed with one though
  #6056   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 15-01-2018, 12:57 AM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800CLC View Post
I wish they would sell Hilux's here you can import them but I've never been a fan of right hand drive in a country built for left hand drive the blind spot could be dangerous. Does anybody have a Landcruiser or something similar (can't remember all the models) with V8 diesel here?
Driven lots of left hook cranes here Bert .... nice to be able to alight kerb-side, without fear of some muppet taking you out, as you open the door
  #6057   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 15-01-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
I think all these 4x4ís have gone a bit soft and girly; including the Hilux. Iíd like to see less plastic, less styling, and more rugged and repairable design.
Plus one on that sentiment Chris ..... How's the vertigo ??
  #6058   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 15-01-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
And here endeth the 1st lesson.

its nothing personal they're just wankers, right?
hell I thought Dave made me laugh Con .... that was well on a par in the myrth levels
  #6059   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 15-01-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybusiness View Post
I ran a Toyota Dyna tipper with the 2.5l Hilux engine in it for a number of years and it certainly wasnít without its faults (almost all electronic, and therefore horrendously expensive). It had a fuel pump fault that cost £1000 to repair, and twice there was an EDU (like an ECU apparently - Iíd never heard of them before) fault that cost the thick end of a grand to sort first time around. Electric windows stopped working (switch units were hundreds of pounds), the heater controls stopped working - it definitely wasnít the amazingly reliable vehicle I expected. It did carry weight well though, and nothing mechanical broke to be fair (other than leaf springs).
So we'll put you down as a 'non-fan' then Boyo

It is a problem with Jap ...... think of a number and treble it for bits, from my previous experiences anyway
  #6060   IP: 5.254.163.144
Old 15-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybusiness View Post
Iíve got one of those too - 55 plate last of the old shape (basically a Mazda). Fantastic truck - ours has been horrendously abused, is now on 175k miles (I bought it cheap at 100k and itís had a very hard Ďretirementí), it tows 2.5 tonne daily (it is not the fastest, but keeps on trucking!), and spends a lot of time off road. Honestly the best value for money vehicle Iíve ever bought - there is nothing newer that can replace it that Iím aware of.
They're bloody good trucks, but after mine got pinched I replaced it with a common rail 57 plate ranger. I couldn't go back, there's half as much more power again and similar fuel economy.