The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#6061   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 16-01-2018, 12:49 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Druidís New Duck Ė í99 Hydrema-Wiemar M1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobin View Post
They're bloody good trucks, but after mine got pinched I replaced it with a common rail 57 plate ranger. I couldn't go back, there's half as much more power again and similar fuel economy.
Plus huge costs, if anything goes wrong with the engine management/fuel system
  #6062   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 16-01-2018, 12:55 AM

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond digger View Post
And here endeth the second lesson: all modern motors are crap on account of over complicated, superfluous electronics.
...... well you got that right, sort of .... they're crap when they no longer deign to function
  #6063   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 16-01-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoakers View Post
That Hilux on top gear a few years wasnít at all girlie 😅

https://youtu.be/kFnVZXQD5_k

The thing is shall I change my tough old Disco 2
for sure it took a bollocking .... but it was old skool ..... lets see its latest incarnation take the same punishment
  #6064   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 16-01-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDave View Post
To be fair, all my Toyota/Hino diesels are non electronic, simple mechanical injection pump with mechanical injectors. Obviously they are not the latest models.
The common rail diesel engines fill me with fear as the costs of the components when they need repairing or replacing can be astronomical. Diagnosing problems with these complicated systems with their high pressures, myriad sensors etc is also challenging.However the sheer popularity of Toyotas and Hilux's in particular means that these costs can be less and there are more places that know how to work on them.

Still I'm sticking with my simple diesels as Rudolph originally designed them until I can replace them with electric vehicles I can charge with my rooftop solar system

AusDave
LOL ...... big leccy fan are you Dave ..... don't you find the extension leads a bit restricting in that BIG country of yours
  #6065   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 16-01-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettsy View Post
Nothing modern, everything is being taken over by emissions targeted crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhands View Post
Iíve just been welding up my dads old Shogun. Sadly the chassis has a bit of rot. But I can forgive it that, as it is 24 years old and has not had the easiest of lives, we've not been nasty to it, just worked it, pretty hard a times....

Thing is, it still drives like it did when it was new, starts on the button, and is cheap to run....
So Iíve spent a bit of time on it, to get a few more years out of it. As it deserves it. Noting I ever own will come close to that old Shogun for reliability and longevity. It really is a testament to Japanese enginerring, comparing it to the the British offering or itís time, is like comparing steak and chips to a poke in the eye!

Question is, what could replace it?.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhands View Post
Quite right, nothing modern even comes close. But buying another old motor is also a non starter.

So it will be a new pickup probably, and chop it in regularly, will never run motors to high miles, and decades, again....
and there in lies the dilemma ...... just WTF does one buy that doesn't need a degree in astrophysics and / or witchcraft, to keep functional
  #6066   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 16-01-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
05 plate Ranger.... If I can't break it nor can you!
aye ..... if you can't knacker it, it must be approaching pretty good
  #6067   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 16-01-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
Mine died and so did my mates. Yorkshire water had loads and they sacked them all off.

Nice to drive, nicer than the hilux but no never again.
you're obviously more skilled in the destructive testing stakes than Rory Boyo .... and that's an achievement ...... or perhaps they're a vehicle that likes living in Devon
  #6068   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 16-01-2018, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart1602 View Post
ive got a dyna 3ltr tipper owned from new and just over 60k miles had 1 set of tyres at 55k and new brake pads also broke a spring but i have on ocasion had 3 ton in the back comes pretty close to an old suzuki vitara i had which i did 80k miles in and apart from tyres and servicing had to have a new set of wippers
Impressive Mart ... did you try for a warranty claim on the wipers
  #6069   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 16-01-2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsauce View Post
I've been jap for years but 6 years ago got a defender and not regretted it yet.

Why can't we have a land cruiser pickup with a 7t train weight over here? I'd be all over one like a rash
you had the one mystery one did you Minty ? .... the one that was specially built to last ....... or do you leave it in that nice garage you built for it
  #6070   IP: 31.49.119.137
Old 16-01-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybusiness View Post
Iíve got one of those too - 55 plate last of the old shape (basically a Mazda). Fantastic truck - ours has been horrendously abused, is now on 175k miles (I bought it cheap at 100k and itís had a very hard Ďretirementí), it tows 2.5 tonne daily (it is not the fastest, but keeps on trucking!), and spends a lot of time off road. Honestly the best value for money vehicle Iíve ever bought - there is nothing newer that can replace it that Iím aware of.
We need the land cruiser pickups available pretty much everywhere else in the world (I think they call them the 78 series). Super basic, super strong. Now the Defender has gone there is not really anything else similar on the market. I know you can get them through various channels but they are bonkers money when bought that way - you could easily have 2 other similar pickups (with 5 year warranty etc etc).
Iíve currently got the new Navara and have to say it is brilliant - it would soon look a real mess if you werenít very careful with the bodywork though (eg reaching into the rear tub over the sides can quickly lead to dents and scratches). Iíll sell it before the warranty runs out though.
that really made me smile