The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Technical Q&A

#1   IP: 86.143.22.128
Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Metric or imperial??

Heres another one to get you all thinking a bit. Do you prefer working in feet and inches or milimetres, centemetres and metres?
Also what circumstances do you use each in?
Me, I prefer feet and inches, because I can picture them easier.
You'll find I'll post many a random thread like this, gives you all something to do and all you oldies brains working helping to keep you younger
  #2   IP: 91.108.150.188
Old 02-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Secret Master

Default Re: Metric or imperial??

I prefer working in feet,inches yards,chains,furlongs perches,thous. etc.
My grandfather worked in metric,quicker to use when invading countries.
Ed
  #3   IP: 87.115.31.107
Old 02-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Soverign Grand Inspector General

Great Question! Maybe it's my age but I there are things that i am firmly in the metric camp for and things where only imperial units will do. And then there are some things like measurements of length, where I will use both, depending on what I am measuring!

One thing remains constant and that is the good old British pint (no halves on this forum please). Euro-beaurocrats mess with that one at your peril!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UK Distributors and Installers of: Lincoln Auto Lube Systems | Loadrite Weighing Systems | Alphaview Vehicle CCTV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #4   IP: 81.170.19.15
Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Grand Master Architect

metric, but mainly because most, if not all, the machinery i work with is based on this......that's not including the 'toys'.

by the way, try finding decent A/F spanners and sockets now.....e-bay is about non-existent

Last edited by Richard; 02-01-2010 at 06:24 PM.
  #5   IP: 90.196.146.98
Old 02-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

I use both.

As an operator I find many of the guys on the ground work in imperial as its easy to tell me its 1/2, 1 or 2 high using their fingers without having to take their boots off if I'm way out or a rub of the chin if it wants a shave.
Then they look at the tape and its in metric

Although an olde, I find metric quite easy as I spent a few years around mirror and boards with my father in laws bedroom furniture business where everything was metric.
The odd thing for many is that I only use metres and millimetres, cm only cause problems in my experience.

Do you call it a 450 pipe or a 45. Is the traveller 1150 or 115.

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

#6   IP: 86.143.22.128
Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM

In the States they use feet and inches as a norm on every job. They have also made it easier to use too, so you don't have to work out the fractions of iches they use a system where by, on the tapes they use for instance, the feet are divided into tenths of an inch. So a measurement on a plan would read as follows: 10.3', 12.5', 2.9' etc etc.
A very good system and very easy to understand too.
  #7   IP: 58.170.67.55
Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Knight of the East

Hi Atlasrob , welcome to the forum , If your the same atlasrob i have seen at HEF i know you will make this forum a better place for you being here . ian .
  #8   IP: 90.196.146.98
Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat943 View Post
In the States they use feet and inches as a norm on every job. They have also made it easier to use too, so you don't have to work out the fractions of iches they use a system where by, on the tapes they use for instance, the feet are divided into tenths of an inch. So a measurement on a plan would read as follows: 10.3', 12.5', 2.9' etc etc.
A very good system and very easy to understand too.
I didnt know that and I can see it working, but they still weigh in lbs whats that all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianoz. View Post
Hi Atlasrob , welcome to the forum , If your the same atlasrob i have seen at HEF i know you will make this forum a better place for you being here . ian .
Well thats one hell of a compliment, thank you. Yes its the same one, lets hope I dont let you down.
About time the UK had a forum, I'm getting tired of all the travelling

Rotation excavation across the Nation.

#9   IP: 86.168.170.77
Old 02-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Knight of the East

good topic, im 31 so not an 'oldie' but when i was growing up at school things had been officially changed to metric across the board, but working in the building trade for ten years everything was dont in imperial and i prefer it, metric only coming in to play on fine measurements. many a time ive asked labourers for "an inch and 7mm off that timber"....

one thing that is a guaranteed constant is that despite putting my pencil behind my ear after using it, its never there when i really need it..

Last edited by Local Diggers; 02-01-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: got my own age wrong! DOH!
  #10   IP: 87.115.31.107
Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Soverign Grand Inspector General

One thing I know for certain - My wife doesn't know what 8 inches looks like

UK Distributors and Installers of: Lincoln Auto Lube Systems | Loadrite Weighing Systems | Alphaview Vehicle CCTV