The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat

#21   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 04-05-2018, 10:39 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: Citb ..... Omg .... !! part III - the end is nigh!!

interesting reading ....

https://www.theconstructionindex.co....gainst-reforms

"Workers at the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) have launched a petition against plans to outsource training and back office functions. .....

...... No private provider has yet been identified to take over CITB’s training provisions. The union says that if no one comes forward then these courses will close
"

basically a total **** up
  #22   IP: 90.254.28.235
Old 05-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Intendant of the Building

So the CITB, one letter of that stands for TRAINING! If they aren't training anymore than what exactly will they be doing?? Their "reform" mainly seems to be a cost saving exercise.

I'm so glad I don't have to pay the levy to these morons.

On second thoughts, maybe this could be a better opportunity for business than actually running a construction company. Just do training. Still get to play with plant, charge excessive fees for limited work. What do I need a portacabin in a field and a wanked out excavator Pretty sure I can sort that.

Now wheres that Sunseeker on the Med I had my eye on......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #23   IP: 86.128.106.169
Old 06-05-2018, 12:48 AM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieGunns View Post
So the CITB, one letter of that stands for TRAINING! If they aren't training anymore than what exactly will they be doing?? Their "reform" mainly seems to be a cost saving exercise.

I'm so glad I don't have to pay the levy to these morons.

On second thoughts, maybe this could be a better opportunity for business than actually running a construction company. Just do training. Still get to play with plant, charge excessive fees for limited work. What do I need a portacabin in a field and a wanked out excavator Pretty sure I can sort that.

Now wheres that Sunseeker on the Med I had my eye on......
it's a bloody shambolic farce eh??
  #24   IP: 95.148.190.21
Old 11-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Perfect Master

I support a practical test of operator competence / or a manufacturers course certificate, BUT I never understood why a 'blue card' could only be made permanent by attaching it to a vastly expensive NVQ which teaches you no more. Years ago a one week 'small crawler loader' course was selling like hot cakes at Bircham. Then an edict came out that 'all courses must be of two weeks duration' - so what did they do but combine the above course with a wheel loader course - the latter are in quarries - not much used in plant hire.
A much better combination would have been with the 1 week backhoe loader course, or better still leave things alone. Private students could not afford the new set up & student numbers fell away! Talk about snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. I trained with JCB as an operator & never regretted it.
The USA system of a 3 day course on any machine type eg. Backhoe Loader, Dozer, (Federal Law - but does not apply to a farmer or self builder) seems much less beaurocratic & actually works.