The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > Industry Chat

#1   IP: 92.24.176.30
Old 28-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Provost and Judge

Default snowed off

Boring I know,And 90% bullshit
SO we have snow,yes its freezing (so dress appropriately) get over yourself,shit happens,its life.But Today I was told to "take a day off because of adverse weather conditions"
So question is I got to work and was told to go home by boss,so do i get paid ,take a days leave or tuf shit?
I Dare say I'm not the only one in this position,just wondering where i stood on this situation?
  #2   IP: 81.129.193.34
Old 28-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun
Default Re: snowed off

Quote:
Originally Posted by robex 210 View Post
Boring I know,And 90% bullshit
SO we have snow,yes its freezing (so dress appropriately) get over yourself,shit happens,its life.But Today I was told to "take a day off because of adverse weather conditions"
So question is I got to work and was told to go home by boss,so do i get paid ,take a days leave or tuf shit?
I Dare say I'm not the only one in this position,just wondering where i stood on this situation?
IMHDO as you have presented yourself for work as required ... and been sent away after being prepared to do your normal duties, I'd say you were due your day's money TBH

not as if you'd looked out the window and said "*** it"
  #3   IP: 78.147.4.60
Old 28-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I recon he should have been in contact with you before you set off that morning. I am usually on the phone or texting early if there is any question about the weather.

It's definitely not cricket to let a bloke turn up only to turn him away. It sounds to me like he's taking your willingness to work for granted.
  #4   IP: 86.128.247.174
Old 28-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Knight of the East

I made a lot of money today utilising the unsung hero of the operation.... my shitted ford ranger.

Towed 26 cars... all gave some form of gratitude.

Also have a CBL Trailer atm and a mini digger to collect for them as there pickup jack knifed with it's girly road tires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #5   IP: 86.145.187.8
Old 28-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Knight of the East and West

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
I made a lot of money today utilising the unsung hero of the operation.... my shitted ford ranger.

Towed 26 cars... all gave some form of gratitude.

Also have a CBL Trailer atm and a mini digger to collect for them as there pickup jack knifed with it's girly road tires.
Not so “shitted” then.
  #6   IP: 85.211.138.113
Old 28-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Master Elect of Nine

know of one guy who had to drive from norwich to bury st edmonds around 50 miles to go sit in a tea hut for 10 mins then get told nope go home all for half a days pay sod that would have taken him a good couple of hours to make that journey there and back as well so was out longer then he got paid for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #7   IP: 81.147.100.200
Old 28-02-2018, 09:40 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydigger View Post
know of one guy who had to drive from norwich to bury st edmonds around 50 miles to go sit in a tea hut for 10 mins then get told nope go home all for half a days pay sod that would have taken him a good couple of hours to make that journey there and back as well so was out longer then he got paid for
That wouldn't fuss me too much, yes it took a long while there and back but if your only paid for time on site then 10mins for half a shift is a good result.

What it needs it people to communicate with each other more. I shut everything down today and it's cost me nothing except forming a back log of work but we always have that. Some of the people with brain cells rang before they had a shave and the rest I rang as they were shaving.

Communication is key. To get there and be told no thanks is cardinal sin in my book.
  #8   IP: 85.211.178.149
Old 28-02-2018, 10:43 PM
Grand Master Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post
That wouldn't fuss me too much, yes it took a long while there and back but if your only paid for time on site then 10mins for half a shift is a good result.

What it needs it people to communicate with each other more. I shut everything down today and it's cost me nothing except forming a back log of work but we always have that. Some of the people with brain cells rang before they had a shave and the rest I rang as they were shaving.

Communication is key. To get there and be told no thanks is cardinal sin in my book.
You must employ some top blokes, shaving before work
  #9   IP: 92.24.176.30
Old 01-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Provost and Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxman View Post

Job is only just up the road,so made the effort to turn up
  #10   IP: 209.93.206.133
Old 01-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Master of the Ninth Arch

If you turned up and I only made the decision not to play after you got there I would pay you for the day. If I didn’t want you for a day I should let you know before you leave home or, in my opinion, it is being unreasonable not to pay you.
Graham