The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > EQUIPMENT > Construction Equipment

#1   IP: 81.154.135.106
Old 17-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Prince of Jerusalem

Default JCB's current Stable - 1.5-10t

A few people know that on Friday I went off to Cornwall to torture, sorry test some of JCB's newer generation of machines, I'm a sceptic and I'm afraid I will be until these machines start appearing in quantity on the second hand market and we see what resale and reliability issues there are.

On the other hand there are a set of machine's that I've abused (Actual opinion of someone not popular on the CE forum for Historic reasons, if I say his **** look what happens, haha) so heres some very basic opinions and reasoning. There are no facts or figures, just pure bollocks from a operators point of view, perhaps I should of stolen all there brochures but tbh I never think figures are a point to start with.

18Z-1 (1.8t ZTS) machine -
This was the first we had a play on, I'm always of the opinion ZTS machines are not for me... I have two capable eyes which are able to detect walls and other obstacles before I slew into them, and I like a bit or arse to counterbalance.

Servicing wise the fold out sides and tail weight is spot on, as is the little access panel to check the oil etc in the back. Reality wise it's a little oversold but it's a big step forward and on the 1.8t machine is probably the best access going.

To operate it's a nice machine and very stable for a ZTS, throw it up on a decent incline and it still feels stable. I'd be of the opinion a operator will probably give out before the digger does. there's quite a lot of power in it for a little digger and it tracks nice, blade control is nice. Not a massive amount of floor room and no pedals the pedals are a big issue for me and whilst there seemed to be some form of option (those machines had some little pins like the old 016's) it is something that If it couldn't have decent pedals that work forward and back it would put me off.

The blade extensions are made properly and the whole thing seems built to last.

Overall the 1.8 is probably a 4/5 for me.

19C-1 (1.9t) machine -

Much the same as the 1.8 in the regard of the servicing, with good access/visibility of the engine. unlike the 1.8t I can directly compare the service aspect to the Bobcat/Doosan which a friend owns and runs alongside JCB's, I would say when it comes to repairs the Bobcat is probably ever so slightly better access wise than the JCB on the whole.... However for common items (batterys (Meerkat knows about JCB Batteries haha) Filters etc) it is bang on!

Cab wise it's a nice place to be. The JCB 2go System is a overcomplicated aggravation IMHO and I can see the poor rubber panel switches in all the cabs suffering long term due to it, It'd be the first thing that gets ripped off if I made a purchase. From a safety element I'm never convinced on the multiple button shite and those that are likely to try to move the boom whilst off the machine are now even more likely to lean over the controls. Foot pedals are again not there and again I'm not sure if they are available or not. The door latch is also removable via 1 nut which makes the excavator as narrow as the tracks.... which is very very good!

Nice stable machine however, and again I made the poor dealer Cringe

Definitely a 4.5/5, Would I have one? Yes without doubt, Long term issues and concerns aside. Holt's man was keen to point out the 2000hr (I think 2 year) warranty can be extended and that if something goes out of warranty and your unhappy with how it's lasted then the best thing to do is to ring up and talk! I found that refreshing to hear!.

Now it's time to go off and run a TB135FR, so I shall continue with this bollocks tonight..... But yes overall both mini's are nice enough and I'd have a 1.9t Time will tell on the reliability and teething issues but so far they seem good....

Next up - 5t's 10t and a 3cx compact.... I shan't bother with the 13t as it was nothing to write home about and would be Marmite to anyone.... infact it's the same colours

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #2   IP: 90.255.22.46
Old 17-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Intendant of the Building

Default Re: JCB's current Stable - 1.5-10t

Good honest review - wouldn't expect anything else from yourself

I speak to Jim up in Scotland who won a 19C for the year and he's had a few teething issues with his. I say a few, when I spoke to him last it had been broken more than working. Both of us walked down the production line last year along with several others and were assured the machines leave the factory 100%. It did amuse me that his machine (used for marketing videos etc) was having so many issues.
I believe they've got to the bottom of most of them now, he loves how it drives, I hope as said before that this is the turning point and cant wait to see how they update my prime earthmover - the 8026. But Ill give it a few months from launch to get the gremlins out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #3   IP: 109.152.20.98
Old 17-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Knight of the East and West

Well....slap my arse and call me Susan......I think we might have another JCB fan in our midst....
  #4   IP: 213.205.194.24
Old 17-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Prince of Jerusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhands View Post
Well....slap my arse and call me Susan......I think we might have another JCB fan in our midst....
Careful, the old generation are still dogshit. But they are improving and I will go more in depth later

"IT'S ALL DOWN TO YOUR OWN SITUATION."
  #5   IP: 84.93.84.66
Old 17-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Sublime Master Elected

Quote:
That's until the injection �� wears off ��
  #6   IP: 86.178.80.103
Old 17-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Elect of Fifteen

I've been on a year-old 100c this week, so it'll be interesting to see how your opinion matches up to mine. Your thread Rory, so you go first.
  #7   IP: 2.10.6.183
Old 17-06-2018, 09:44 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Interesting Reading Rory

I need a new mini soon - had a brand new sv2.2 yanmar on hire for a couple of days this week - nice machine - lovely and smooth - pedals that were spot on but I was putting a tank into some shaley ground and it lacked tear out.

Last edited by furniss480; 17-06-2018 at 09:47 PM.
  #8   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 17-06-2018, 10:30 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by APH2007 View Post
That's until the injection �� wears off ��
Think Delbuoy's been putting yellow paint in his coffee Pete
  #9   IP: 86.144.226.86
Old 17-06-2018, 10:31 PM
Knight of the Rose Croix of H.R.D.M

Location: Druid central, just East of Pandy, Nr. Abergavenny, S. Wales, UK, 3rd rock from the Sun

Quote:
Plenty of Jake fans in our midst James ... just that very few of 'em are sat in 360s
  #10   IP: 86.171.188.224
Old 17-06-2018, 11:02 PM
Knight of the East and West

Be keen to hear about the 3cx compact: lm quite intrigued.