The British Construction Equipment Forum  

Go Back   The British Construction Equipment Forum > INDUSTRY MATTERS > General Business Issues

#21   IP: 78.147.3.167
Old 24-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

Default Re: Estimate vs Quote

I do a family rate but day work only. Quite handy to have a job or two to fall back on for the quiet spells.
Quite a bit of procrastination happens even when people are getting you at a bargain rate.
In general I find customers don't appreciate it when you go in with a low quote. It seem like they still think it's too expensive and you're making a killing at their inconvenience. I try not to do favours because of this attitude, but still get caught out now an again.
Its very difficult to price work which you can't measure by the sq/m like block paving etc. So I guess estimates are a better idea. I can't find it in my heart to give refunds for early completions though!
  #22   IP: 209.93.206.133
Old 24-03-2018, 09:26 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

In my experience friends and family never appreciate what you do at friends rates, they still think you are ripping them off. So I either do it for free (for people I really like) or full price for the rest. Family are the worst for whinging and expecting it done cheaper, quicker and less mess.
Graham
  #23   IP: 86.167.158.33
Old 25-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Secret Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD450A View Post
I'd of completed the job to a high standard, and then promptly done something childish like thrown a fuck load of roundup elsewhere on his property in the shape of a Banana and two apples.
Thought crossed my mind of doing something....
Sometimes it's best to 'do nothing' - have reminded myself not to work for him again. So "Can you just" ain't gonna happen
  #24   IP: 86.167.158.33
Old 25-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Secret Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahams View Post
In my experience friends and family never appreciate what you do at friends rates, they still think you are ripping them off. So I either do it for free (for people I really like) or full price for the rest. Family are the worst for whinging and expecting it done cheaper, quicker and less mess.
Graham
Absolutely - they don't seem to realise that dragging all yer expensive kit to their job has costs and responsibilities
Did a really nice driveway job for my nephew 3 years ago FOC. My brother and nephew were great labourers levelling before compaction etc
Then every now and again pop round to neighbour's FOC pulling out tree stumps and bushes etc for a hour or so of play.
Goodwill with the neighbours going a long way
  #25   IP: 188.220.6.135
Old 25-03-2018, 09:21 AM
Sublime Master Elected

I always put a 'rock clause' in any quote, if rock is hit it will cost xxx per day to deal with in addition to the original quote. as you all know rock in any situation is time consuming to deal with!
  #26   IP: 82.1.166.232
Old 13-04-2018, 08:57 PM
Master of the Ninth Arch

I find that even if you state 'Estimated Total Cost' in your estimates some customers (not all to be fair) still think that means fixed quote/price

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #27   IP: 81.147.100.200
Old 13-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Elect of Fifteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by strott View Post
I find that even if you state 'Estimated Total Cost' in your estimates some customers (not all to be fair) still think that means fixed quote/price
You need to buy some of them a dictionary, just to show what an estimate means.
  #28   IP: 31.50.134.247
Old 13-04-2018, 09:35 PM
Intendant of the Building

It can be tricky sometimes, you could try and state where the extra costs could occur and some indication what it could be. For instance if you are providing materials, instead of a lump sum you could state cost per load delivered and an estimation of how many loads and as soon as you reaslise more loads are required the person paying for it needs to be informed. The problem comes if they say no I'm not paying for the extra required then you can't finish the work properly and risk no being paid. And if you over estimate you may not get the work. Catch 22
  #29   IP: 86.229.144.169
Old 13-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Master Elect of Nine

Most of the work is fixed price here in france - Customer and contractor sign the Quote and then customer pays a deposit - occasionally we state that in the event of certain scenarios there may be additional costs that will be discussed and agreed upon if they arrive but in the main if you get it wrong you suck it up and move on.